Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This Forum is a place for respectful discussion and debate of political issues, by Roman Catholics, in the context of the Roman Catholic Faith.

If leftists tell you "Catholic social teaching" means an open border, they are either ignorant or lying.

This column is addressed specifically to Roman Catholics and their families and friends who may often hear "Catholic social teaching requires ‘sanctuary cities'" or even an "open border."

I have had it with these left-wing activists spouting this argument. They are dressed up as pseudo-theologians and don’t deserve any deference on this issue as they are simply and completely wrong.

I am no theologian, and despite having spent a good part of my writing and broadcast career on matters of faith —my books "In, But Not Of," "The Embarrassed Believer," "The Happiest Life," and "Searching for God in America" (which was also an eight-part PBS series) are all about faith generally and Christian faith specifically—I know what I do not know. What I did not know until last week were the particulars of "Catholic Social Teaching" on immigration in the modern era.

So I went looking and found a summary of just this subject, one authored by Father Thomas Belz: "Catholic Social Teaching on Immigration and the Movement of Peoples." Father Belz when he wrote this was the Director of Immigration and Refugee Services for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, and the United States Catholic Conference of Bishop uses his summary, an excellent indication of its reliability and thoroughness.

Continued below.

Reactions: DJWhalen