• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

When death seems appealing

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm not off to the market buying rope as we speak so relax people.
I'm not at risk anytime soon, but I have to admit that the anxiety I'm struggling with more or less daily is taking it's tall on me.

I have been thinking about ending my life ever since I was a teenager, but my Catholic faith has functioned as a heavy break on any seriousness in my destructive thought pattern.
I'll not risk a eternity away from God who I love so much, but yet at times I wish to die.

The weirdest thing is that the only time when I've ever wanted badly to live was when I suffered from advanced cancer. Why did I hold on?
I'm asking myself that question frequently...

I'm unemployed as we speak, but I'm studying at the university so I'm not really hanging around doing nothing.

Furthermore I'm experiencing these panic attacks every now and then with great distress attached to them as well as a always existent depression.

I believe most people think of me as a positive and happy guy due to my smile, cause I do smile all of the time, on the surface that is.
There is a deep, deep dualism in my personality. On the surface I'm joyful, but deeper down I'm very miserable.

If I hadn't believed in and loved Jesus I'd killed myself already, but I know what he demands of his disciples and killing oneself isn't one of those attributes.
This puts me in an awkward position where said dualism is very painful.

I like to think of Soren Kierkegaard as an example and a role model as he too suffered from a very similar dualism of the soul.

I don't know why I posted this thread, perhaps it was due to a need of letting go of some steam or something?
I don't know.

If you don't know how to respond to this thread then I understand you perfectly, but if you could then please pray to Lord Jesus for me.

Thank you for reading and God bless your soul. Amen.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not at risk anytime soon, but I have to admit that the anxiety I'm struggling with more or less daily is taking it's tall on me.

I have been thinking about ending my life ever since I was a teenager, but my Catholic faith has functioned as a heavy break on any seriousness in my destructive thought pattern.
I'll not risk a eternity away from God who I love so much, but yet at times I wish to die.

The weirdest thing is that the only time when I've ever wanted badly to live was when I suffered from advanced cancer. Why did I hold on?

I'm unemployed as we speak, but I'm studying at the university so I'm not really hanging around doing nothing.

Furthermore I'm experiencing these panic attacks every now and then with great distress attached to them as well as a always existent depression.

I believe most people think of me as a positive and happy guy due to my smile, cause I do smile all of the time, on the surface that is.
There is a deep, deep dualism in my personality. On the surface I'm joyful, but deeper down I'm very miserable.

If I hadn't believed in and loved Jesus I'd killed myself already, but I know what he demands of his disciples and killing oneself isn't one of those attributes.

I like to think of Soren Kierkegaard as an example and a role model as he too suffered from a very similar dualism of the soul.

I don't know why I posted this thread, perhaps it was due to a need of letting go of some steam or something?
I don't know.

If you don't know how to respond to this thread then I understand you perfectly, but if you could then please pray to Lord Jesus for me.

I think that many christians have periods when death seems preferable to the life they have to face. I certainly have.

I will pray for you.

Does it help you to know that people who don't know you will be praying on your behalf for your relief ?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I think that many christians have periods when death seems preferable to the life they have to face. I certainly have.

I will pray for you.

Does it help you to know that people who don't know you will be praying on your behalf for your relief ?

I don't know... maybe?
Thanks for prayers brother.

Upvote 0

bangmegafan

May 31, 2016
India
✟42,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to ask you like this

You said you wanted to live when you had advanced cancer

Have you recovered now

<staff edit>

Remember Abraham, Moses, Apostles after Jesus crucifixion -

Abraham was given promise but it took his life time and went under many traits

Moses, God promised new land to Israel but Moses went through so much trouble and traits for many many years

Apostles were confirmed by Jesus that Jesus is living God.. but they were not sure when Jews confirmed Jesus was dead and he is not living God at all

Abraham, Moses and apostles never lost their faith.. If they are in your position why would have committed suicide but their faith made the difference

Abraham stayed strong in his father, and Issac was gifted

Moses was strong and obeyed his father and new land was given to Israelites

Apostles, when they prayed together with great faith, they have received holy spirit and spoken in tongues. They performed miracles. Through Apostles, Christianity was spread across world

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit> You should live, not just because God wants you alive, but also to serve as an inspiration for other people who are fighting cancer and need positive models to lift up their spirits through their fight.

Upvote 0

Gå£GöTЂã

Sep 2, 2017
Toronto
✟7,721.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
When I read the words of your lament, I am reminded of one who is daily engaged in intercessory sighs & groans, suffering without words, without yet fully realizing why...<staff edit> Simply, you just know too much and life is often unbearable because of that... so you are homesick. You long for rest. You seek peace. It may help you to know there are others like you that find death quite appealing, as an end to metaphysical pain. Personally, my struggle has been to combat the apparent dualism by consciously & daily forcing myself to move from a position of reluctant messenger to one of co-intercessor with the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is in control no matter how painful this is in my body, which is temporal and inadequate. The only thing that keeps me alive is knowing His coming is imminent, right at the door, and my only source of joy is hidden within the anticipation of seeing Him as He really is. I will pray for you, too.

Upvote 0

Sep 2, 2017
Dordrecht
✟8,085.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi (new here)

Why are you worried, what's stressing you

Many saints, even Christ they went into the wilderness and never once thought about suicide. Life forces nothing on you. In Genesis the only reason we exist is to be alive, and live life on this Earth (sure it's a mess). But in the end, you need nothing. Stress is overrated. Chill out, go to a remote place, preferably nature and just kick back, build a fire. Say a prayer. Bring a bible along.

I actually read the entire bible, and many times again like this.

It works for me whenever i'm a bit depressed. People are always so concerned with worldly life and all responsibilities yet none of it is neccecary.

Hope you will feel fine soon

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with similar issues. I am praying for all those suffering with this affliction. May God pour His mercy out upon us all, in the name of Lord Jesus Christ. May the Holy Spirit always be with us.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Suicidal thoughts aren't rational in their very nature and I don't claim that mine should be considered an exception.
I just shared what I'm struggling with, a window into my daily cross.

As I said in my op I don't know the aim with this thread of mine. I'm just close to give up sometimes.
The cancer argument is actually a weird one cause afterwards I've felt nothing but emptiness inside.

I have thought of writing about this in an article and have it published in the cancer association or something. Perhaps others share my feelings?

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Admin Hat

This thread has undergone some edits. Please remember that posts in recovery are for supportive and encouraging responses to the original poster and to each other. Spiritual warfare may not be discussed in any manner in recovery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
The bible does warn there is a point at which death is the only answer (Revelation), as Jesus said "everyone will be tested, every sacrifice will be seasoned with salt" - the point is that that death can be purely spiritual.

If the death is purely spiritual, there is no suffering.

By the same token, only ever desiring freedom from suffering is itself torment.

I can see how you would struggle with this.

Upvote 0

Blessed Each Day

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia
✟69,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I don't know.

I'm so sorry you're going through what you're going through. The devil likes to mess around with us, and it's easier when we get down and more dejected; he feeds off of it. I know it's cliche, and you've heard it probably a hundred times before, but you've got to be strong. When you have those thoughts just laugh and say, "Nice try!" One of my favorite quotes of Kierkegaard (I have it written on my whiteboard) is, "And so it is also with the natural man, he is ignorant of what the dreadful truly is." No matter what kind of pain I have, or whatever struggles life throws my way, I think of this quote a lot (I know it's not Scripture, but Kierkegaard was a fierce Christian and I feel comfortable in the knowledge he presents.) An actual quote from the Good Book would be, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the Lord delivereth him out of all" (Psalms 34:19)

There's too many things down the road that God has planned that preclude us from leaving this life early. We obviously don't have the sight to see them, but we need to experience them! God bless you, and be strong! PM me if I can help, I've had several friends/family members deal with such existential problems in the similar phase and I'm always available to talk!

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0