Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Eastcoast rap is much better than Westcoast. Soccer sucks! I would rather watch the grass grow.
So you like baseball? Which is mostly watching the grass grow.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
A regionally unpopular opinion. I was born in and have lived my entire life in Texas. And I can't stand football... which is kind of a big deal here. If you want to alienate native Texans, be a native Texan yourself and announce that you despise football.

Lmk how it goes.

Could be worse, you could have been an Englishman in Dallas criticising the American definition of "football". You see, what you call "soccer" actually involves primary "kicking" the ball.

Obviously, everyone knew I was speaking in jest - and as I said earlier, it's not the sport it was. Too many crybaby prima donnas now. NFL is actually the superior sport. You've only got to sneeze in the direction of a Premier League footballer and they'll fall to ground, roll around on the floor eight times, clutching their face.

I wish American's understood the nuances of cricket. I think the US could do a lot with the sport.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm feeling chippy today so I thought I'd ask what everyone's unpopular opinions are. Could be Church-related, political, social, whatever. Just obviously keep it within the rules of the forum.

Note: If you're not Catholic don't think this is your chance to bash the Church, it's not. The forum rules still apply.

For example, some of my unpopular opinions:

- I'm okay with colonialism
- The ordinary form Mass isn't bad
- Ketchup is saucework
- Roger Moore was a terrible Bond

I'm sure I have more but those are some starters. What are yours?
Printers. That don't print if the ink cartridge is low. That as soon as I replace one cartridge they demand another cartridge has to be changed. I hate them.

But wait. I suspect that is indeed a popular opinion. Anyhow, I hate them. With a passion. I have a sledgehammer and I am seriously tempted this morning to go into the garage and get it and rearrange the printer.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
No beer is good but only hipster losers drink IPA lol

Well, those are fighting words.

It's your loss anyway. You're on the East coast among literally the best hype breweries in the world and you've alienated yourself. I cross the pond to Brooklyn every year just to pay a couple of my favourites a visit.

And to escape the dourness of the UK. You have no idea how tiresome it is to live amongst such misery all the time. I mean, you're allowed to dream every now and then... It hasn't been privatised. Cheer up.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have a very unpopular opinion that I believe would even make me hated here

Star Trek and Star Wars are a joke. It is physically impossible to go from zero to light speed in under six months to a year without risking death due to excessive g-force, let alone go to Warp 9 in 10 seconds.
Even if you could reach light speed or Warp 9, it is too slow to travel the universe in any reasonable way, as in a human life span.
The science fiction space travel shows are fun to watch and they do spark the imagination, but animal life cannot travel that fast. There are no real aliens. Only spirits can travel like that. UFOs are either military aircraft of other countries on Earth, or deceiving spirits.

sorry folks, feel free to pile on the hate.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No beer is good but only hipster losers drink IPA lol

I stopped pretending I liked IPA a long time ago, if I'm gonna have a beer it's gonna be an ale or lager. Sierra Nevada Pale Bock or Crystal Wheat and Newcastle Brown Ale.

Star Trek and Star Wars are a joke. It is physically impossible to go from zero to light speed in under six months to a year without risking death due to excessive g-force, let alone go to Warp 9 in 10 seconds.
Even if you could reach light speed or Warp 9, it is too slow to travel the universe in any reasonable way, as in a human life span.
The science fiction space travel shows are fun to watch and they do spark the imagination, but animal life cannot travel that fast. There are no real aliens. Only spirits can travel like that. UFOs are either military aircraft of other countries on Earth, or deceiving spirits.

It's possible in science fiction because they've invented inertial dampeners.

But that's why I like Stargate the most, yeah they have FTL ships but they mainly use wormhole travel.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if I'm gonna have a beer it's gonna be an ale or lager. Sierra Nevada Pale Bock or Crystal Wheat and Newcastle Brown Ale.

Both of those are good, and I wish I could still drink them, but due to my medications I can't really keep anything with alcohol in it down anymore and if I somehow succeed in doing so, I end up with a horrendous headache and a very depressed mood. All from one beer or glass of wine, it's a major bummer.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I stopped pretending I liked IPA a long time ago, if I'm gonna have a beer it's gonna be an ale or lager. Sierra Nevada Pale Bock or Crystal Wheat and Newcastle Brown Ale.

You'd probably like Hobgoblin's Ruby ale. It's super malty with virtually no bitterness.

For me, the gold standard is Westvleteren 12. Even someone who doesn't like beer can deny its beauty. I mean...

westvleteren-12-xii-13l.jpg

Right?

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Both of those are good, and I wish I could still drink them, but due to my medications I can't really keep anything with alcohol in it down anymore and if I somehow succeed in doing so, I end up with a horrendous headache and a very depressed mood. All from one beer or glass of wine, it's a major bummer.

I don't take any medication but I do get headaches pretty easily from alcohol consumption, so I don't do it as often, mainly just socially. I think it's the dehydration, or the tannins in the case of red wine.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't take any medication but I do get headaches pretty easily from alcohol consumption, so I don't do it as often, mainly just socially. I think it's the dehydration, or the tannins in the case of red wine.

I had to stop drinking beer and wine entirely when I started on psychiatric medications and for a while, I blew this advice off and didn't do it... and then learned the hard way, eventually getting to the point I'm at now where I don't drink at all. I think the most I technically "drink" is taking a sip of blessed wine from the Chalice at mass, and I haven't been doing that because the churches no longer let us do it because of Covid19 (why they couldn't just give those little plastic cups that protestant churches use is beyond me, but I digress that's up to them).

I miss it sometimes, like on the rare occasion that I go to the beach or watch a Rays game. Those were the times that I liked being able to have a beer or two; go swimming for a bit and then lay in the sun drinking a decent beer or something. But I don't miss it that much that it actually impacts my happiness. I did enough drinking after I turned 21 to be able to never drink again and be fine.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I had to stop drinking beer and wine entirely when I started on psychiatric medications and for a while, I blew this advice off and didn't do it... and then learned the hard way, eventually getting to the point I'm at now where I don't drink at all. I think the most I technically "drink" is taking a sip of blessed wine from the Chalice at mass, and I haven't been doing that because the churches no longer let us do it because of Covid19 (why they couldn't just give those little plastic cups that protestant churches use is beyond me, but I digress that's up to them).

I miss it sometimes, like on the rare occasion that I go to the beach or watch a Rays game. Those were the times that I liked being able to have a beer or two; go swimming for a bit and then lay in the sun drinking a decent beer or something. But I don't miss it that much that it actually impacts my happiness. I did enough drinking after I turned 21 to be able to never drink again and be fine.

I moderate myself now, I must admit. I had to change my entire attitude when I learned that I just have one of those metabolisms that quickly (and very effectively) adapts to alcohol and treats it as a legitimate energy source. If I start to disrespect the chemical, then I'll be a functioning alcoholic in no time.

My tolerance is back to nothing now, so the switch would be intentional and very deliberate. When I was in Amsterdam for a stint I managed to outdrink an Australian. Now, I would probably become squiffy after half a shandy.

• Haha
Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was in Amsterdam for a stint I managed to outdrink an Australian. Now, I would probably become squiffy after half a shandy.

There was this lemon shandy that I used to like to drink, but the problem was that I would drink like six of them in a sitting and get all trashed and grumpy, because I am a sad drunk and that never played well with other people (as a result of my mental illness).

It wasn't even a rare one or anything, I think it was Leinenkugel's summer shandy or something and you could usually get it at Publix or barring that, they would usually have it at the liquor store (although I was never a liquor guy). I used to like to go swimming and then lay on the beach drinking those and listening to 311 or Sublime or something.

Reactions: ReesePiece23
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My rule is a glass of water for each beer. But I stop at one beer a day anyhow.

Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
There was this lemon shandy that I used to like to drink, but the problem was that I would drink like six of them in a sitting and get all trashed and grumpy, because I am a sad drunk and that never played well with other people (as a result of my mental illness).

It wasn't even a rare one or anything, I think it was Leinenkugel's summer shandy or something and you could usually get it at Publix or barring that, they would usually have it at the liquor store (although I was never a liquor guy). I used to like to go swimming and then lay on the beach drinking those and listening to 311 or Sublime or something.

I find that those lower ABV drinks are actually more dangerous than the strong stuff. If you tried to drink pint after pint of pure barley wine you'd pass out before you reached the intoxication levels that a lower ABV will take you to over several hours of consumption.

Radlers are surprisingly lethal actually. Don't let the low number fool you. The refreshment factor is like being kissed by a beautifully angelic demon.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find that those lower ABV drinks are actually more dangerous than the strong stuff.

Yeah I'll agree with that, I had a very real drowning scare with a buddy once because we drank like six of the Miller chills (they no longer make them) each and then swam out to a sandbar in Englewood, FL and then the tide began to come back in and we were having trouble getting back. By all rights we should have both drowned as we were very much younger and doing something stupid like going out into the water all lit up like the fourth of July, but God had decided that it was not our time and I thank him for that.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I feel sacrilegious recommending this but have you ever tried non-alcoholic beer? Might get some of the same enjoyment without the ill effects of mixing booze with meds.

My rule is a glass of water for each beer. But I stop at one beer a day anyhow.

I'm getting better at following that rule when I do drink.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel sacrilegious recommending this but have you ever tried non-alcoholic beer?

If they make a good NA that tastes like a good beer, I'd be more than willing to check that out. But if it's just going to be some sort of watery blah, I don't think I'd be interested. But yeah, I'd definitely be down with some sort of a good non-alcoholic or even low alcohol (1-2.5%) I think I could probably handle that, because I can drink kombuchas which have trace alcohols and not have a problem with those yet. It's just when you get into the range of like 5-6% is when I begin to have noticeable problems and get bummed out, sick, so on and so forth.

Like I said, it's a bummer because I used to like to drink beer but I overdid it when I was young on garbage like PBR, High Life, and malt liquors like King Cobra, Mickey's so I now would only be going for quality instead of just beer for beer's sake.

I'm actually going to look into that more, thanks for the idea. My sister has a wedding (not in the church) coming up and I'm hoping that her bartender is going to have some N.A. stuff so I can feel included in the festivities.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If they make a good NA that tastes like a good beer, I'd be more than willing to check that out. But if it's just going to be some sort of watery blah, I don't think I'd be interested. But yeah, I'd definitely be down with some sort of a good non-alcoholic or even low alcohol (1-2.5%) I think I could probably handle that, because I can drink kombuchas which have trace alcohols and not have a problem with those yet. It's just when you get into the range of like 5-6% is when I begin to have noticeable problems and get bummed out, sick, so on and so forth.

Like I said, it's a bummer because I used to like to drink beer but I overdid it when I was young on garbage like PBR, High Life, and malt liquors like King Cobra, Mickey's so I now would only be going for quality instead of just beer for beer's sake.

I'm actually going to look into that more, thanks for the idea. My sister has a wedding (not in the church) coming up and I'm hoping that her bartender is going to have some N.A. stuff so I can feel included in the festivities.

That's fair, I'd feel the same way.

Upvote 0