What's wrong with "thread resurrection"?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some people go over and read old threads that might have an interesting topic or conversation so they want to continue in that argument instead of starting one that no one knows what they are talking about. Also, some topics are repeated over and over (filioque, papal supremacy, etc) that might be better continue it with a foundation rather than repeating the same arguments).

Some resurrection thread I found them funny because they ask questions to users that haven't been here for a lot of years and around the time I was a kiddo but it seems like it annoys people instead.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I don't why it bugs people. I have no problem with anyone posting in an old thread. They may have something interesting to say. And if you don't want to read it don't read it.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
personally, I just find it annoying to dig up an old conversation that no one has had in nearly a decade, instead of just making a new one.

especially when they are responding to folks that have not been on here in nearly a decade.

but that's just my personal thought.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it sounds picky.
It seems to be most often done by newbies. I know before I joined the site I browsed around old and new threads to see what people talked about. Maybe some newbie is looking for a particular topic, finds it, and then we say "No, you can't talk about that! We've already talked about it!" :)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some people go over and read old threads that might have an interesting topic or conversation so they want to continue in that argument instead of starting one that no one knows what they are talking about. Also, some topics are repeated over and over (filioque, papal supremacy, etc) that might be better continue it with a foundation rather than repeating the same arguments).

Some resurrection thread I found them funny because they ask questions to users that haven't been here for a lot of years and around the time I was a kiddo but it seems like it annoys people instead.

On another board (one that had a fraction of the traffic of this place) I on occasion was a thread necromancer. When I did it wasn't about arguing points. It was purely about variety. In earlier days of the board the topics were much more interesting, exotic, and argued or covered better. I actually did it to reintroduce some novelty to the board especially when things were getting stagnant and there was low traffic. And it sort of worked, but it also reminded people that board had gone into serious decline that the Golden Age had passed etc.

necromancer.jpg

Necormancer has a supernatural ability to bring long-dead forum discussion threads back to life. After having been flogged to death the thread may have been deceased for many years, and bringing it back may have scant relevance to the current topic, yet Necromancer will unexpectedly exhume the thread’s rotting corpse, and strike horror in the forum as its grotesque form lurches into the discussion. The monster, instantly recognized by all who knew it in life, seems at first to breathe and have a pulse, but, alas, it is beyond Necromancer’s skill to fully restore the thread’s original vitality. The hideous apparition may frighten away some of the weaker Warriors or Warriors badly wounded in former battles, but the thread is only a shadow of its former self and very quickly expires.

Unlike Archivist, Necromancer compulsively saves every forum message in carefully preserved archives for future use in battle, while Necromancer collects departed threads merely for the thrill of resurrecting them. Some say he performs this unnatural act out of malice, others say he can’t help himself, but no one really knows.

Necromancer

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I don't mind it in principle, but sometimes those threads have pages and pages of content that comes before the new post, and I don't feel like reading all of it to catch myself up to speed. A lot can happen in just one page, too, so just sampling every tenth post isn't likely to help. Better to just start a whole new thread.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I don't mind it in principle, but sometimes those threads have pages and pages of content that comes before the new post, and I don't feel like reading all of it to catch myself up to speed. A lot can happen in just one page, too, so just sampling every tenth post isn't likely to help. Better to just start a whole new thread.

If you are a person that works long hours over night at a very slow paced job (security, baby sitting web servers etc. ) those kind of threads are a golden mine of interesting content that can help you pass the time and stay awake. That was my main motivation in the past as a necromancer, I resurrected it for myself but largely also because I knew a lot of new people who had joined the board never looked into the archives but would love some of the old topics we covered years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
personally, I just find it annoying to dig up an old conversation that no one has had in nearly a decade, instead of just making a new one.

especially when they are responding to folks that have not been on here in nearly a decade.

but that's just my personal thought.

^^^^What he said!^^^^

And, as someone who's been around here far too long.. I DON'T want to be reminded of this board, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or longer. It's a painful reminder, of what we've lost around here, through the years. The TAW of years ago is gone.. We are stuck with this now... Live with it!

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
^^^^What he said!^^^^

And, as someone who's been around here far too long.. I DON'T want to be reminded of this board, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or longer. It's a painful reminder, of what we've lost around here, through the years. The TAW of years ago is gone.. We are stuck with this now... Live with it!

but to be positive, your Young Frankenstein meme is pretty awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: RobNJ
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Its one of my pet peeves on the site. If it is a new person who wants to bring it up, not too much of an issue. However, there is one person that bumped multiple threads that died off YEARS ago and in fact, they were the last poster of these threads when they bumped it 2 years ago. They once did that to about 15 threads in just a single forum and it was very confusing for a few days trying to figure out which were actual discussions.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
^^^^What he said!^^^^

What was going on five or ten years ago?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What was going on five or ten years ago?
There have been many great posters who no longer are posting in our forum. I love this forum now as well, though I wish our old friends also were here :)

I’ve been posting here since the start of TAW in about 2005, so I’ve seen a wide variety of posters over the years! (Wow, that makes me feel old....)

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, because how are we going to get into the context?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to disagree with the majority then, I find more benefits than downfalls with old threads. It might be because I am a newbie though.
Often it is useful to start a thread that links to the original thread and quotes whatever part you are interested in pursuing further. Like I mentioned above, many people who posted 5, 10 years ago, are no longer here. If someone asks a question about a post to those people, they won’t be here to answer it. If you start a new thread linking to the old one, it opens it up to new input.

• Informative
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There have been many great posters who no longer are posting in our forum. I love this forum now as well, though I wish our old friends also were here :)

I’ve been posting here since the start of TAW in about 2005, so I’ve seen a wide variety of posters over the years! (Wow, that makes me feel old....)
Where'd they go? Just lost interest in posting on an old-school forum?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where'd they go? Just lost interest in posting on an old-school forum?
Not 100% sure. Some of it was due to some forum difficulties I think. Other times, we need to take breaks for other reasons. I’ve taken breaks on and off through the years as well.

Upvote 0