What's Wrong with Modern Christian Music?

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like old stuff;

There is beauty and depth of meaning in a lot of classic English hymns, too. "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus", is just beautiful. They don't write them like that anymore. Lovely melodies, good rhyming, good message. I don't get the same impression from modern hymns. Some of them are *ok*, but they don't quite feel the same. The old stuff was poetic.

I'd rather have the old stuff. Whether that means Salve Regina in Latin, or "I Love to Tell the Story".

• Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just one more!

A classic and much-loved hymn in Eastern Orthodoxy:

Agni Parthene. Beautiful. Mary, our Mother, pray for us. Amen.

So, again, it's, for me, really tough to beat "old". Tough. I love and appreciate Chris Tomlin, but there's just no beating the old stuff.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just one more!

A classic and much-loved hymn in Eastern Orthodoxy:

Agni Parthene. Beautiful. Mary, our Mother, pray for us. Amen.

So, again, it's, for me, really tough to beat "old". Tough. I love and appreciate Chris Tomlin, but there's just no beating the old stuff.

Oddly, it is only a little over 100 years old and was never intended by St. Nectarios to be used in church settings but as a devotional hymn for individuals.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My parents are Fundamental independent baptist Christians and they are telling me all the time that modern christian music is of the devil, so I don't listen to it. I did when I was a teenager, but I got scared that GOD was displeased with me and I have since repented. I looked through my parents music selections the other day and found a more godly selection of music by a group that came to one of my past churches to sing.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyways, if you could provide some insight on why only ancient hymns should be sung in church or elsewhere, I'd appreciate it.

I rather think it's really a matter of "Personal preference" - "What I can HEAR?respond to", rather than any REALLY SIGNIFICANT SPIRITUAL issue.

I attend an Assembly of God Church (Crossroads AG in Duncanville, TX) The musical program is performed in a very professional fashion with a "Worship leader" who is excellent at what he does. Furthermore the majority of the congregation appears to "Get into" the whole "7-11 Worship process" and is very participatory. I half expect them to hold up lit cigarette lighters, and wave 'em around.

Quite frankly, it's all "Rock Concert" stuff to me. I listen to, and ENDURE the "Worship stuff" to get to the MESSAGE portion of the service that IS of VALUE to me. I Have have no interest whatsoever in trying to sing the 7-11 stuff that they do. Sometimes there are snippets of older songs, but performed in a MUCH DIFFERENT Style that the originals. RARELY they'll do a hymn, but general Re-Orchestrate it to that the Harmony I've sung for 50 years doesn't fit any more.

"It is Well with my Soul" will reduce me to tears - or "Amazing grace", or "In the Garden" along with any number of the Bible Choruses - "it is a good thing!", "Unto us a child is born", "Whoso offereth praise", etc. that we used to sing in the '70s during the Charismatic Outpouring.

But I have to admit, that even though I haven't "Moved on" to embrace the Modern 7-11 "Word game" stuff, and endless repetition, IT IS apparently what is meaningful to the younger crowd, who really seems to "Get into it". And folks are Saved in the services almost every week, so I can't complain.

The '70 saw A CHANGE in Hymnal music, which were admittedly largely "Escapist" in nature - "Won't it be wonderful - THERE" without any sense of the possibility of the Christian life being "Wonderful HERE".

But since life for ME is largely in the past tense, I like to hear about my future home - which I know little about, but which in FAITH - will be better.

So - bottom line, if YOU want to reach ME, and touch my soul - do something from Stuart Hamblin, or Fanny Crosby, or even John Wesley.

Personally, nowadays I DON'T get my "Worship songs" at Church any more, but instead at Bluegrass Jams, where the precious songs (to me) are played and sung with passion and gusto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WoshipWarrior

Jan 31, 2007
✟14,737.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why judge it if it draws people into His presence? Does He not inhabit the praises of His people (Psalms 22:3)?

It's a matter of what moves you ... or rather, what you ALLOW to move you. So Will I (100 billion x) is the most wordy song we do... and almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm reduced to tears by the end of it. If your heart is softened, and His is the face you seek while you praise, then whom shall stop you from praising?

Don't judge it - if it bothers you that much, come after the music is over. As for the rest of us, let us enjoy His presence by what we allow to move us into His presence.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why judge it if it draws people into His presence? Does He not inhabit the praises of His people (Psalms 22:3)?

It's a matter of what moves you ... or rather, what you ALLOW to move you. So Will I (100 billion x) is the most wordy song we do... and almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm reduced to tears by the end of it. If your heart is softened, and His is the face you seek while you praise, then whom shall stop you from praising?

Don't judge it - if it bothers you that much, come after the music is over. As for the rest of us, let us enjoy His presence by what we allow to move us into His presence.

I fully agree with your opinion of "So Will I," but you know many people cast it out because of a single word.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just jumping in here to give my 2 cents.
I don't listen to Christian music at all, and I've never really understood why until I gave it some thought recently. To me, it all seems to be the same, even if the songs are different. The subject material is all the same. I know praising God is what we're to do, but songs that aren't much different than talking to the same person all day long knowing that this person is always, always, ALWAYS going to talk about one subject, no matter what else you want to talk about. That's what a Christian music station feels like.

Contrasting this with secular music, at least secular music is much more varied. Rock music has its subjects, as does Rap, and so does Country. They each appeal to different groups of people based on their interests, background, and mood. But Christian music is one subject, even though it attempts to be done in Christian Rock, Christian Rap, Christian Country, Christian (fill in the blank). It's the same thing done in different ways, even though it makes no sense in many of those ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are a diversity of tastes within the body. No music group will appeal to every listener. I don’t think modern music is bad. Some people enjoy it and others crave something different.

I begin with the lyrics. And the melody follows. I prefer music that’s upbeat. I’m not down and out or interested in love songs. I want songs that heighten my joy. Not those that replay struggles. That eliminates a lot of them.

One day I put on Kanye. I don’t listen to rap. But I understood the message and recognized the old and new references in his music. It’s a blend of old style gospel choirs with hip hop, sampling, and honest lyrics.

I noticed my spirit’s response. I was happy and wanted to hear more. It wasn’t momentary worship. We kept listening. I was hearing the music in my sleep and waking to the same.

Our spirit’s frequency was high. We had trouble resting. We were praising Him continually. And I never felt better. You can’t feel sad or mad when you’re worshipping like that. You experience the joy of the Lord on a new level.

It reminds me of David’s words, “I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” —Psalm 34:1

My desire for other music began to wane. I wasn’t listening to pop, rock, or anything else. Because they didn’t give me the same lift that his did. And the difference was obvious.

The praise brought clarity, peace, joy, and laughter. Why would I replace it with something that offered less? I stay plugged in. We have multi-hour worship sessions frequently.

This is the way He ministers to us. I’ve seen a marked difference in our hearts and home. My only hope is others find the ones that speak to them and give Him the praise He deserves.

~Bella

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't listen to Christian music at all, and I've never really understood why until I gave it some thought recently. To me, it all seems to be the same, even if the songs are different. The subject material is all the same. I know praising God is what we're to do, but songs that aren't much different than talking to the same person all day long knowing that this person is always, always, ALWAYS going to talk about one subject, no matter what else you want to talk about. That's what a Christian music station feels like.

Contrasting this with secular music, at least secular music is much more varied. Rock music has its subjects, as does Rap, and so does Country. They each appeal to different groups of people based on their interests, background, and mood. But Christian music is one subject, even though it attempts to be done in Christian Rock, Christian Rap, Christian Country, Christian (fill in the blank). It's the same thing done in different ways, even though it makes no sense in many of those ways.

So for you, Psalm 1 and done?

Upvote 0

WoshipWarrior

Jan 31, 2007
✟14,737.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I fully agree with your opinion of "So Will I," but you know many people cast it out because of a single word.

Which word? I've not read the controversy on it. I'm assuming the line "Evolving in pursuit of what You've said"?

If so, then they don't understand both the word evolve (changing from simple to complex) and how relationships work, or our own spiritual growth - while pursuing Him and what He said, both our relationship and our spirits grow more complex. But that my not be the word/line.

Sorry, I did a quick google after posting this. Joel Houston's response is much like my conclusion - if anyone cares.

Hillsong's Joel Houston Clarifies Evolution Views After Sparking Debate With Worship Song 'So Will I'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which word? I've not read the controversy on it. I'm assuming the line "Evolving in pursuit of what You've said"?

If so, then they don't understand both the word evolve (changing from simple to complex) and how relationships work, or our own spiritual growth - while pursuing Him and what He said, both our relationship and our spirits grow more complex. But that my not be the word/line.

Sorry, I did a quick google after posting this. Joel Houston's response is much like my conclusion - if anyone cares.

Hillsong's Joel Houston Clarifies Evolution Views After Sparking Debate With Worship Song 'So Will I'

Well, I've believed since the early 60s that what science observes in the universe is the way God created it (Psalm 14 applies), and so the song is a delight to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: WoshipWarrior
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Modern Christian music? :scratch:

Ohhhh...you mean like this:

I greatly prefer it without the smooth R&B backing track, but on the upside, the kid doing the solo vocals does a fantastic job. Plus, it gets little kids to speak Coptic, and I'm 1000% into that! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean.

Aldebaran said:
I don't listen to Christian music at all, and I've never really understood why until I gave it some thought recently. To me, it all seems to be the same, even if the songs are different. The subject material is all the same. I know praising God is what we're to do, but songs that aren't much different than talking to the same person all day long knowing that this person is always, always, ALWAYS going to talk about one subject, no matter what else you want to talk about.

So after Psalm 1, you must be done with the Psalms, since the subject matter is all the same.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So after Psalm 1, you must be done with the Psalms, since the subject matter is all the same.

Psalm 1 is scripture, and the rest of Psalms is scripture. Christian music doesn't fit that description.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Psalm 1 is scripture, and the rest of Psalms is scripture. Christian music doesn't fit that description.

Psalms are not Christian music? :confused:

What on earth have we been singing in the Church in Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Rome, Mesopotamia, etc. for two millennia, then?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Psalms are not Christian music? :confused:

What on earth have we been singing in the Church in Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Rome, Mesopotamia, etc. for two millennia, then?

I don't know. I've never been in any of those places. Where I'm from, verses are taken from the bible, whether from Psalms or other parts of the bible, and set to music with different verses places here and there, along with other narratives.

Upvote 0