What's Wrong with Modern Christian Music?

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I hear it too often these days, but no one has taken their time to respond with a legit argument. Why is modern Christian music so bad? Of course there are plenty of bad songs that misrepresent the gospel, and Jesus, and Christianity as a whole, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water! One of the things I hear the most is that it's all too repetitive. But it's certainly less repetitive than most secular pop music today. And that doesn't apply to all songs. It's not even a very common trait.

To be clear, I really don't like Christian radio. At least the radio station where I live (Joy FM 99.1 in St. Louis, MO). It basically plays nothing but tobymac and Mandisa with only a few songs worth your time. I feel like I could rant for awhile on why the radio stations are bad, so I think I'll post another thread about that.

But I'm talking about all Christian songs written in the past 100 years. If you only sing out of a hymn book, there's nothing wrong with that in itself, but you're seriously missing out! Can someone please explain to me why it's so bad? And please give examples.

Here are some excerpts from some of my favorite songs. These lyrics are God glorifying, and accurately represent the Gospel:

Glorious Day by Passion "I needed rescue, my sin was heavy / But chains break at the weight of Your glory"

God of Calvary by Chris Tomlin "By His wounds I am set free / By His blood I've been redeemed"

My Victory by Crowder "Oh a cross meant to kill is my victory"

Great Are You, Lord by All Sons & Daughters "It's Your breath in our lungs / So we pour out our praise to You only"

God, You're So Good by Passion "I am saved in Jesus's name"

Christ Is Risen by Phil Wickham "And all throughout eternity our song will be the same / "Hallelujah Christ is risen from the grave" "

And I could go on. Even Reckless Love has had some scrutiny, but the only lyric that people don't like is describing God's love as reckless, which by any definition just isn't true. But it's still true that God's love seems reckless from our point of view. I mean it's quite incredible that Jesus would actually suffer to the point of death for us. That seems so reckless!

Anyways, if you could provide some insight on why only ancient hymns should be sung in church or elsewhere, I'd appreciate it.

Matt

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hear it too often these days, but no one has taken their time to respond with a legit argument. Why is modern Christian music so bad? Of course there are plenty of bad songs that misrepresent the gospel, and Jesus, and Christianity as a whole, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water! One of the things I hear the most is that it's all too repetitive. But it's certainly less repetitive than most secular pop music today. And that doesn't apply to all songs. It's not even a very common trait.

To be clear, I really don't like Christian radio. At least the radio station where I live (Joy FM 99.1 in St. Louis, MO). It basically plays nothing but tobymac and Mandisa with only a few songs worth your time. I feel like I could rant for awhile on why the radio stations are bad, so I think I'll post another thread about that.

But I'm talking about all Christian songs written in the past 100 years. If you only sing out of a hymn book, there's nothing wrong with that in itself, but you're seriously missing out! Can someone please explain to me why it's so bad? And please give examples.

Here are some excerpts from some of my favorite songs. These lyrics are God glorifying, and accurately represent the Gospel:

Glorious Day by Passion "I needed rescue, my sin was heavy / But chains break at the weight of Your glory"

God of Calvary by Chris Tomlin "By His wounds I am set free / By His blood I've been redeemed"

My Victory by Crowder "Oh a cross meant to kill is my victory"

Great Are You, Lord by All Sons & Daughters "It's Your breath in our lungs / So we pour out our praise to You only"

God, You're So Good by Passion "I am saved in Jesus's name"

Christ Is Risen by Phil Wickham "And all throughout eternity our song will be the same / "Hallelujah Christ is risen from the grave" "

And I could go on. Even Reckless Love has had some scrutiny, but the only lyric that people don't like is describing God's love as reckless, which by any definition just isn't true. But it's still true that God's love seems reckless from our point of view. I mean it's quite incredible that Jesus would actually suffer to the point of death for us. That seems so reckless!

Anyways, if you could provide some insight on why only ancient hymns should be sung in church or elsewhere, I'd appreciate it.

Matt

I prefer the classics. Old time gospel music like this:

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I prefer the classics. Old time gospel music like this:

There's nothing wrong with liking that music. I'm just wondering what people have against the new stuff. Is there any reason you don't listen to new music? Or do you like it okay?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with liking that music. I'm just wondering what people have against the new stuff. Is there any reason you don't listen to new music? Or do you like it okay?

That was something of a joke. :)

I don't listen to Christian Rock or Pop in the modern sense because it just doesn't appeal to me. To each his own I suppose.

Reactions: Matisyahu8898
Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, there are a few good songs, but for the most part the majority of it is musically pretty poor material.
Do you have any songs in mind, though? I feel like the biggest problem is that people mock it before they try it. And people say things like that it's poor material, which can't be disproven unless you listen to a bunch of songs. If you've only listened to like 20 songs, you can't say the majority is poor material. The topic is just too broad to shoot it all down. And sadly, I think that's what people are doing.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any songs in mind, though? I feel like the biggest problem is that people mock it before they try it. And people say things like that it's poor material, which can't be disproven unless you listen to a bunch of songs. If you've only listened to like 20 songs, you can't say the majority is poor material. The topic is just too broad to shoot it all down. And sadly, I think that's what people are doing.
Well, if more Christian musicians could actually write, their songs might come out sounding more like this:

Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, if more Christian musicians could actually write, their songs might come out sounding more like this:
Sorry, my question was meant to be, "Do you have any modern songs in mind that are bad?" Those are two fine songs, though.

How do you feel about this song? This song came out earlier this year, and I love it a lot! I feel like it is really well done, with very good lyrics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, my question was meant to be, "Do you have any modern songs in mind that are bad?" Those are two fine songs, though.

How do you feel about this song? This song came out earlier this year, and I love it a lot! I feel like it is really well done, with very good lyrics.

My problem with this one would be that I could hear it six times, and I probably couldn't sing it for you, if my life depended upon it.

Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess I have problems with 7-11 church songs (seven verses, repeated eleven times) with no silence between any of the beats, and a deathly fear of having a good rhythm and beat that people remember.
Do you have a specific song in mind? I'd love to have a better understanding of what you're talking about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My problem with this one would be that I could hear it six times, and I probably couldn't sing it for you, if my life depended upon it.
Couldn't remember the words, or couldn't sing the correct notes?

Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Look how good writing made this explode:

And you can even put a different theme to it:
Well that song was written by Simon and Garfunkel long ago. That person changed the words and made it Christian.

Probably neither. Any song has to be something that "reaches" me.
Now that's all fine if you don't like songs that don't "reach" you. There are plenty of songs that I can say that about as well. But what is it that "reaches" you? And that's not much of a basis to discredit all modern songs unless you can describe it and give examples of bad modern songs.

Upvote 0