What's Wrong with Modern Christian Music?

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First off, I LOVE It Is Well With My Soul!! That's one of my favorite songs, and the words are amazing! But I get what you're saying about them being written in a different spirit, but I'd say it's the minority that are like that. At least for the songs I listen to. I'll quote Glorious Day by Passion again, because I think it's a great example:

"I was breathing but not alive
All my failures I tried to hide
It was my tomb 'til I met You
You called my name and I ran out of that grave
Out of the darkness into Your glorious day"...
"The old made new
Jesus, when I met You"

Notice how the words speak of presently living in righteousness with God. The past was awful, but now Jesus has made things new.

More examples include:

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be
I am redeemed
Redeemed by Big Daddy Weave

This is amazing grace
This is unfailing love
That You would take my place
That You would bear my cross
You laid down Your life
That I would be set free
Jesus, I sing for
All that You've done for me
This is Amazing Grace by Phil Wickham

And if our God if for us
Then who could ever stop us?
And if our God is with us
Then what could stand against?
Our God by Chris Tomlin

My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down
Upward falling, spirit soaring
I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground
Touch The Sky by Hillsong UNITED

Chains fall, fear bow, here, now
Jesus, you change everything
Lives healed, hope found, here, now
Jesus, you change everything
Holy Ground by Passion

These songs talk about the present glory revealed through Jesus, and that we are currently in light of what He has done for us.
They're mostly gratification (ie: "I am grateful because you have made me feel like this, and this is how I like to feel"), but there really isn't much in there so far as doctrine, and I say this is important because it's a most precious part of the Sunday service: where those catchy tunes get the songs stuck in their head, and all through the week, those lyrics can come back around. Someone might hear us singing the song and say something that makes us think suddenly on the lyric and a new light goes on - that is how The Holy Spirit works (by forming new comprehensions in our mind, by combining previous comprehensions, memories and new information to expand our understanding). Whereas if all we are singing is "Lord, life is so much better these days because I met you", well, that's about the extent of it. And, probably this is a reflection of the doctrines of salvation these days - where they aren't about a real relationship with God as a person, but as some mystical, unknowable force that works through coincidences (which, of course, is delusion despite that it may be reliable and real). Christianity is meant to be about "turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face".

So it's praising God for a new sensational experience of life, but not really doing anything further than that in the way of ministering (John 21:17).. and because it is carnal (of the flesh - thanking God for the gratification of a better life), it isn't really praising God for who He is and describing Him that way through the lyrics, but it is praising God for the things He does, and expressing to Him the things about life that we love Him for (consider Job 1:11 - how resilient is that faith when the storm comes?).

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess I have problems with 7-11 church songs (seven verses, repeated eleven times) with no silence between any of the beats, and a deathly fear of having a good rhythm and beat that people remember.

This is probably my favorite Christian song right now. Tell me what you think.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is probably my favorite Christian song right now. Tell me what you think.

I love singing that song! There is so much room for vocal expression, harmonisation, dynamic and powerful, deeply moving.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hear it too often these days, but no one has taken their time to respond with a legit argument. Why is modern Christian music so bad?
IMHO it has to do with when the listener was born. I know I like the music of my generation better than I like the music of my mother's generation. I had to acclimate my ears to the music of my daughter's generation.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear it too often these days, but no one has taken their time to respond with a legit argument. Why is modern Christian music so bad? Of course there are plenty of bad songs that misrepresent the gospel, and Jesus, and Christianity as a whole, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water! One of the things I hear the most is that it's all too repetitive. But it's certainly less repetitive than most secular pop music today. And that doesn't apply to all songs. It's not even a very common trait.

To be clear, I really don't like Christian radio. At least the radio station where I live (Joy FM 99.1 in St. Louis, MO). It basically plays nothing but tobymac and Mandisa with only a few songs worth your time. I feel like I could rant for awhile on why the radio stations are bad, so I think I'll post another thread about that.

But I'm talking about all Christian songs written in the past 100 years. If you only sing out of a hymn book, there's nothing wrong with that in itself, but you're seriously missing out! Can someone please explain to me why it's so bad? And please give examples.

Here are some excerpts from some of my favorite songs. These lyrics are God glorifying, and accurately represent the Gospel:

Glorious Day by Passion "I needed rescue, my sin was heavy / But chains break at the weight of Your glory"

God of Calvary by Chris Tomlin "By His wounds I am set free / By His blood I've been redeemed"

My Victory by Crowder "Oh a cross meant to kill is my victory"

Great Are You, Lord by All Sons & Daughters "It's Your breath in our lungs / So we pour out our praise to You only"

God, You're So Good by Passion "I am saved in Jesus's name"

Christ Is Risen by Phil Wickham "And all throughout eternity our song will be the same / "Hallelujah Christ is risen from the grave" "

And I could go on. Even Reckless Love has had some scrutiny, but the only lyric that people don't like is describing God's love as reckless, which by any definition just isn't true. But it's still true that God's love seems reckless from our point of view. I mean it's quite incredible that Jesus would actually suffer to the point of death for us. That seems so reckless!

Anyways, if you could provide some insight on why only ancient hymns should be sung in church or elsewhere, I'd appreciate it.

Matt
If you have to ask, there's nothing I could type that would help you. If you enjoy listening to it, great. You're the most important critic that counts, for your ears, your spirit, and your life.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the whole point of "The Sound of Silence", it is good music, no matter how you adapt it.

Simon and Garfunkel did some fine work. Also some clinkers. That was rather the problem of having to turn out 10 or 12 songs on an album and an album every year.

If it were possible for a musician to do maybe one good, really good song a year--and maybe only 20 in a lifetime--all of them might be the equivalent of "Sound of Silence."

But even Simon and Garfunkel turned out some clinkers.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They do not sing from a place of power, but of hope. They don't have a sense of present salvation and a close walk with The Lord, but of going to heaven to be with Him after they have died. IOW, it is a false gospel that they have believed, that has not united them with their maker, but they have instead entered a covenant with death (language from Isaiah 28:15).

As a consequence, they cannot sing lyrics with a conviction of that reality, whereas it is clear through the dense doctrine of the hymns that the faith of our forefathers had found that reality of The Gospel.

For example, compare the lyrics of your modern worship music to these ones. They are all speaking of having already become righteous, having already come to see Jesus face-to-face, whereas the modern ones speak of those things being a hope that they will never achieve in this life. It is simply a different spirit.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace
Hymn: Turn your eyes upon Jesus

Are you washed in the blood,
In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb?
Are your garments spotless? Are they white as snow?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Hymn: Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
Hymn: Blessed assurance

My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought—
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to His Cross, and I bear it no more;
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
Hymn: It is well

Well, your accusation is not true of this one:

I'm no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God

I am surrounded
By the arms of the Father
I am surrounded
By songs of deliverance

We've been liberated
From our bondage
We're the sons and the daughters
Let us sing our freedom

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it
My fears are drowned in perfect love
You rescued me
And I will stand and sing
I am a child of God.

Or of this one:

Trouble won’t throw me
Won’t break me
Won’t scare me
No more
Fear must have thought I was faithless
When it came for my heart
‘Cause I got a song that will never die
I know Your love is the reason why
I’ll sing the night into the morning
I’ll sing the fear into Your praise
I’ll sing my soul into Your presence
Whenever I say Your Name
Let the devil know not today

Tell me did the enemy panic
As You took up that cross
Tell me did the darkness cry mercy
As You rolled back that rock
‘Cause I know Your life is the life in mine
I know Your love is the reason why
I’ll sing the night into the morning
I’ll sing the fear into Your praise
I’ll sing my soul into Your presence
Whenever I say Your Name

Whenever I say Your Name Jesus
Not now not ever again
Your love stood down death
Crushed the devil’s head
Fear is just a liar
Running out of breath
The fight beneath Your feet
I’m standing on Jesus’ Name
So let the devil know not today

Let the devil know not today No no
Not now not ever again Jesus
Let the devil know not today, not today, not today

Depends on the purpose of the song. Many are in the vein of Psalms:

Bless the Lord O my soul
O my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I’ll worship Your Holy name

The sun comes up
It’s a new day dawning
It’s time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing
When the evening comes

You’re rich in love
You’re rich in love
And You’re slow to anger
Your name is great
And Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness
I will keep on singing

Ten thousand reasons
For my heart to find

And on that day
When my strength is failing
The end draws near
And my time has come
Still my soul will
Sing Your praise unending

Ten thousand years
And then forevermore

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TChristianity is meant to be about "turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face".

Actually, Christianity is meant to be about making disciples of all nations.

• Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

rapturefish

Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad
May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Our church had to undergo a change from talking about which songs we liked (because they were new or old), and start talking about the sermon that day and what songs help the congregation focus and worship on that. New songs, old songs, didn't matter. Some preference for certain places where the songs came from, preferences away from others. Fair enough. It's where the church is as a community. Some things are right for them, others not.

The contemporary stuff can sound great at first. But I feel we've reached a point where there's so much out there that we no longer choose songs as a common group of believers but feel we can be more discriminating in choosing our songs according to where we are on the Christian spectrum.

The more conservative places like Sovereign Grace, Emu Music, the Gettys, Stuart Townend, etc. focus on pithy lyrics and good contemporary hymn treatments. It's possible to have some good songs these days, whereas before it was more 'sermons set to music' and not great music at that. But for me, while we can do some things with arrangement, these are not songs of the heart but the head. They are intellectual and lyrically hard to remember. I've been singing these for a decade now at my current churches and I still can't remember those words in my sleep.

The other end is your Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Passion, Crowder, Rend Collective, etc. They know how to do a concert. They appeal to some evangelical and also Pentecostal-type churches. They engage in more heart-type lyrics, more repetition (which in my view is not good or bad, it depends on the use of it). Much more memorable. Theologically more likely to be problematic. It happens. What I don't like is the castigation that goes on when a song isn't theologically there. What a Beautiful Name by Hillsong is one that some find problematic. You didn't want heaven without us / So Jesus, you brought heaven down (from memory) is shaky. But let's have a more of a discussion and less of a shouting match about it. If we're all believers then us fighting each other isn't good. A discussion where we can learn from, or framing the point in a more positive manner will lead to better results. Wasn't it an Anglican minister who challenged Hillsong to do a song on the Apostles Creed (This I Believe)? That is a more positive result.

I grew up on hymns and can still remember most of the words. They have their place. They also have a good balance between heart and head for me. Not for everyone - other friends I know never grew up on them, cannot connect with the old language, love Bethel or United Pursuit and that's fine. Each to their own. But for me the difference between the old hymns and the contemporary ones is this: the old hymns are not intellectual. You might think so, but sort out the content and you realise it's not densely packed but saying some rather simple things, just in language that is by today's standards rather poetic and indirect structurally.

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought -
My sin, not in part, but the whole -
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul!

See? It's not densely-packed theological sermonry but one truth phrased to the effect of 'Hey! Consider this glorious thought. My sin - not some of it, ALL of it - nailed to the cross. I'm free! Praise the Lord!' Contemporary hymns often still don't get this and think it's the same thing. It's not! See below:

In Christ alone, my hope is found
He is my light my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, and strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all,
Here in the love of Christ I stand

I don't dislike this hymn, but I certainly don't connect with it to the heart. The ideas are many, the words harder to remember. It's not the same kind of song as a classic hymn.

In the end, after so many rabbits, it's good to have contemporary Christian music, it's good to have traditional music. Don't discriminate one over the other, they have their place. We need old and new. And it's a privilege to have a radio station that plays music you don't have to worry so much about as to the content. Not perfect, I know. Call your station if you have problems, frame it with a more positive suggestion, hope for the best. I still have issues with the one in Sydney playing Coldplay's God Put a Smile On Your Face the same way some people think The Matrix is a gospel presentation - it's not, it's the opposite, a cynical ironic twist of spirit on words that could be construed otherwise with the right singer.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible was written in the finest language and no one can match that level of writing, so why not have songs with simple lyrics? It gives you the philosophy in a different light. I like both styles of music, and can't understand why you'd only want one kind. If your goal is to have Christ be part of everything in life, he should be able to energize you in the times you can't think straight too. It's extremely important and that's why simple lyrics have their place. Life can be very hard and exhausting, and the sick and the poor, or just the very lost have to really lean on him in rough moments.

Actually something funny I notice is that sometimes modern music gets criticized for being too emotional, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get more emotional than the psalms. Many psalms have the writer truly opening their heart wide.. it's incredibly raw. And the love for God is so sentimental. Sometimes I read a psalm and raise my eyebrows.. for a brief moment I wonder if it sounds over the top, but then I think, "no I'm being a hypocrite, I've definitely felt like this before." Or I realize I'm not close enough to God. He really wants to be a spiritual father to us.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it's certainly less repetitive than most secular pop music today.

Matt
I disagree that secular music is as repetitive as 7/11 music. (7 words repeated 11 times). There is successful secular music that is repetitive, but it still works and they can get away with it due to superior melodies, harmonies, and arrangements. An example of such a song I was listening to recently is Stop Dragging My Heart Around by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty. There are plenty of other examples I could give.

But to answer the question, the music is bad due to a lack of songwriting skill. There are few exceptions, and since churches and Christian radio stations (which make a LOT of money) feel they can't just play a handful of the better songs all day, year after year until better stuff comes out, they have to reach for the mediocrity to fill up the program.

On top of that, the arrangements being done before or while in the studio are inferior to good secular music, again, for the same reason - lack of skills. There's not much creative in the Christian music you hear on the radio. Praise and worship bands too often think that all instruments on stage are entitled to be playing something from the first downbeat to the last. It makes for an unoriginal, uninteresting, boring, wall of sound, but it allows everyone on stage to be playing all the time. Good arrangers aren't hung up on this. One of my favorite writers/arrangers is Sting, both with his work in the band The Police and on his own. If you wrote out all the notes of his songs, they would read like a classical music score, where not all the instruments in the orchestra have to be playing all the time. In churches, this undesirable quality is likely due to the fact that everyone has just a lead sheet and is expected to play in every measure, with exceptions.

For the songwriter/arranger that has better skills, they can make much more money in the secular world, so they don't see the need to do the same work for less pay just to promote Christianity unless they were a devoted Christian for whom money is not the top priority. There aren't any of those.

Hymnals are collections of songs that are well written, placed in four parts that utilize a clear knowledge of melody writing, harmony and voice leading. The music you aren't liking demonstrates no special skill in those areas. The writers come up with some feel good lyrics, then put them to some random notes over the course of a few minutes and they think they're done. Their musical training may be lacking, but that's no excuse. The Beatles had no such training but they could HEAR other people's songs and develop a taste that allowed them to write melodies and choose THE RIGHT CHORDS to HARMONIZE those good melodies. (To this day, Paul McCartney doesn't read music.) There are few well-meaning Christians who can do that. They just don't have that GOD, yes GOD given talent.

Part of the reason is not listening to enough good music with an ear for understanding what made those songs good. The buying public supports such mediocrity because they 'like' the artist enough to buy their CD's, T-shirts, go to the concerts etc., which fuels the artists continuing to put out more mediocrity. Just as you did, they're perhaps able to list lyrics they like, but those lyrics were put to bad music. There needs to be more collaboration where the lyric writers find a music writer to improve their work, but why should they when they can just slap a bad melody and some bad chords to their own lyrics and not have to split royalties? And who out there is going to collaborate if they can write their own lyrics and put those to music instead?

I don't listen to Christian stations because I don't like the music. It also happens to be the case that they do nothing for reinforcing in my brain and ear the qualities that good songs possess. It's a waste of time in that regard. If these Christian artists grow up listening only to other contemporary Christian music, they haven't even exposed themselves, their brains, and their ears to good melodies, harmonies, and arrangements. It's no wonder they can't do any better.

I track the Billboard top 10 each week just to keep up with the names because I consider it my job. I wouldn't give you a dime for anything they do, much less go to their concerts unless it were free, VERY close by, and I were friends with the artist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but there really isn't much in there so far as doctrine,
I would submit that worship songs are NOT the place to teach doctrine; rather they are to be focused on God and giving Him glory.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Most modern Christian music sounds like generic pop music, but with cheesier and cleaner lyrics. I guess some can be okay for casual listening outside church, but using it for worship? Definitely inappropriate.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0