What's the weather like where you are? (10)

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have finally turned the corner in the PNW in to fall; I believe. Today was high 70'sF; the smoke from the forest fires was blown east by a westerly wind; and we have rain forecasted for Sunday & Monday.

There's a word on the tip of my tongue...what is it now...oh ya; Hallelujah! YES! Praise Ye the Lord! :clap::bow::amen:

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have finally turned the corner in the PNW in to fall; I believe. Today was high 70'sF; the smoke from the forest fires was blown east by a westerly wind; and we have rain forecasted for Sunday & Monday.

There's a word on the tip of my tongue...what is it now...oh ya; Hallelujah! YES! Praise Ye the Lord! :clap::bow::amen:

Glad for you ones, mnorian! :)

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Glad for you ones, mnorian! :)

Well...thanks; but I was a couple days premature on the smoke being gone; the winds shifted back to where they filled the Eugene area with thick smoke again Friday and we are in another small-particulate air pollution in the "unhealthy” level till Sunday afternoon when the rains are to start.

My eyes fill like they have gravel in them; my sinuses are plugged and can't wait for the wind to change for good.

But; surprise; surprise; the NWS says that we are to get a couple of inches of rain in the next few days; and where all the burning has taken place in the mountains; they are expecting flash floods from all the newly barren burned off forest land.

So it's either the fire and smoke with ashes from the sky; or flash floods and landslides afterwards. Take your pick. :eek::p

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Our high today should be 87F, and we have a chance for thunderstorms. We're praying for the rain.

We are looking at a chance for thunderstorms tomorrow, but today is gorgeous. Temps in the low 90's and light southerly winds.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tom;
I was wondering; this time of the year; which wind direction do you in central Oklahoma normally get your rain from; north or south?

Our high today should be 87F, and we have a chance for thunderstorms. We're praying for the rain.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:amen:

It's been cold enough here to have the heating on, but the last day or so seems a bit milder. :)

Thanks for the Amen; reborn; it's nice though to snuggle up to a warm fire in the cold weather; even if it's just a electron flowing thru a wire in a heater; or oil. :)

I find it; after living on the Oregon coast; where; I've been told by a fellow from the UK; it's much like your weather; cool & moist; it's much easier to keep warm with extra clothes or heavier blankets; then it is to stay cool in a hot climate. :hot:

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Tom;
I was wondering; this time of the year; which wind direction do you in central Oklahoma normally get your rain from; north or south?

Nearly all of our weather comes from the South. The exception is heavy Winter weather from the North. We know that the Gulf of Mexico is a major influence. By the way, we got the rain we were praying for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious;
are there others that the weather is not just something they started talking about after they got older (heard the old joke on a move the other day--old people have nothing to talk about; but the weather:)) but have been interested about; which way the wind blows & why; for years?

I have 5 weathers sites on my Win10 Desktop; I have probable 10 more links in my bookmarks. Family can be texting me from California and I ask them how their local weather is treating them; and they will say; "let me look out the window" and before they can get back to text me what it's like; I'll have their local forecast up on my Laptop and tell them how hot it is outside their door and when to expect it to change.:)

So what made me think about this was I was looking at the weather in Oklahoma; and came across a new to me NWS (National Weather Service)
National Forecast Maps page:

National Forecast Maps

It has all these neat new color maps for forecasts and other things. I'm a little upset with the NWS as they did send me a notice on my local NWS forecast this spring that they were having a major up-grade on the NWS sites and asked me if I wanted to up-grade. They didn't sell the up-grade very well.:rolleyes:

Well; I was so busy with CF Staff & other stuff; I said I'd keep the old site; as I didn't want to mess with a bunch of new software to deal with.

So when I looked up Central Oklahoma's weather; I went thru a map page; and found all these new pages.

This is the stuff the weather channels get there info from. I feel like a kid with Christmas; but somebody forgot to invite him to the Christmas party.:eek::D

I also found a new "weather-ready nation" major site from the NO&AA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) for; I think storm and hurricane & tornado alerts.

I suppose you guy's from Tornado alley; like Tom & Kevin; know about these sites to keep track of the storms.

Weather-Ready Nation

• Informative
Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mnorian,

I lost track of how many ways I have to keep up with weather, and I don't know what they are called. I have one quick reference on my computer that clicks to 2 or 3 other sites. My wife and I each have 3 or 4 apps on our phones, including all of our local television stations. For the house, we have a weather alert radio that uses NOAA. NOAA is highly trusted in Oklahoma. I think that a lot of our most trusted weather information originates in Norman, Oklahoma - about 50 miles South of where we live. We live North of Oklahoma City in Edmond.

I guess that we do talk a lot about weather in Oklahoma. We have our share of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, so it's something we keep up with daily. I've lived in Oklahoma all of my life, so I'm used to it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mnorian,

I lost track of how many ways I have to keep up with weather, and I don't know what they are called. I have one quick reference on my computer that clicks to 2 or 3 other sites. My wife and I each have 3 or 4 apps on our phones, including all of our local television stations. For the house, we have a weather alert radio that uses NOAA. NOAA is highly trusted in Oklahoma. I think that a lot of our most trusted weather information originates in Norman, Oklahoma - about 50 miles South of where we live. We live North of Oklahoma City in Edmond.

I guess that we do talk a lot about weather in Oklahoma. We have our share of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, so it's something we keep up with daily. I've lived in Oklahoma all of my life, so I'm used to it.

Is Edmond in the "alley"?

I really started watching the weather when I moved to the Oregon Coast around Coos Bay; about 35 years ago; in the middle of the coast; and we only lived a couple miles line-of-sight from the beach.

Storms could come in out of the blue (the blue Pacific:p) without much warning in the fall, winter & spring and be pretty intense with hurricane (Typhoons in the Pacific) force winds and waves coming in measured in the 100ft + range.

The only thing that saves the coast is most of it is cliffs and rocks; with the few sandy beaches getting the worst of the storms.

We had one coastline park; Sunset beach state; that had this nice wide beach 100ft of white sand; parking lot; picnic area; and a huge storm came in and over night it disappeared; so afterwards; all there was left was a deep lagoon where it all had been; with just the access road left; and a short beach.

I really started to watching the weather once I got on line with a PC in '95.

Now; that we are up here by Eugene; it's the forest fires you have to keep track of; but they don't follow the wind; as they can make their own wind and can change directions; like the one down by Brookings on the southern coast; which they evacuated most of the area; a couple of weeks ago.

• Informative
Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is Edmond in the "alley"?

I really started watching the weather when I moved to the Oregon Coast around Coos Bay; about 35 years ago; in the middle of the coast; and we only lived a couple miles line-of-sight from the beach.

Yes, Edmond is in tornado alley. I've lived in it all of my life in Oklahoma. My older brother lives close to the Oregon Coast. I guess that each place has its pros and cons.

Upvote 0

Diamantina

Catholic revert and Lay Carmelite
Supporter
Mar 30, 2008
West Covina, California
Visit site
✟55,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In West Covina, California (in the San Gabriel Valley east of Los Angeles) it was pleasantly warm (78-80 degrees Fahrenheit, 26-27 degrees Celsius) in the afternoon, a bit breezy. It was overcast in the morning but cleared up quickly enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I trusted the forecast map on which the clouds look light and fluffy, without any black drops descending from them. :mad: :D Ah well, it didn't take too long to get all that washing back off the line and dried! :doh:That was yesterday. Today cool wind/warm sun.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks for the Amen; reborn; it's nice though to snuggle up to a warm fire in the cold weather; even if it's just a electron flowing thru a wire in a heater; or oil. :)

I find it; after living on the Oregon coast; where; I've been told by a fellow from the UK; it's much like your weather; cool & moist; it's much easier to keep warm with extra clothes or heavier blankets; then it is to stay cool in a hot climate. :hot:

I agree mnorian. I might be uncomfortable in the cold, but I get really distressed in the heat (which doesn't happen often here!) I imagine the coastal area of Oregon would be similar to the UK due to the effects of the sea. Also although we are further north we have the warming effect of the Gulf Stream

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our high today should be 90F in Central Oklahoma. Then, the weatherman says it will be down in the 80s for a couple of days before it goes down again into the 70s. We're looking forward to the 70s and we're ready for Autumn.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We are experiencing abnormal warmth here in the Northeast also.
The colors are starting to turn and I love it best when it is crisp and cool.
But considering the devastation we have been spared from the hurricanes so far, I am counting my blessings :pray:

Upvote 0