Whats the next best thing to be if you are not a christian?

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟242,118.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So what happened, that you now class yourself agnostic, if you don't mind me asking?.
I think I've covered why I rejected the concept of the Christian God, more precisely the Abrahamic God. I have not examined in comparable detail any of the thousands of other deities that mankind has worshipped, or currently does worship, but I think it unlikely any of them are real.

However, as a species we are enormously ignorant. We've made a fair start to figuring out the universe and if we can avoid self destruction then we might be getting somewhere closer to a meaningful picture in five or ten millennia or so. In the meantime it would be presumptuous to rule out some kind of deity and thus I classify myself as an agnostic.
(Some people seem troubled by uncertainty. I fear they have found themselves in the wrong universe for that stance.)

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,244,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Cuz I don't like people that worship idols and I'll smash them all.
I consider myself something of a sacred-cow-tipper
myself (I'm sure you've seen how I go after "da nooze"),
but hate seems self-defeating. I find I get more mileage
without it. ;)

_

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I consider myself something of a sacred-cow-tipper
myself (I'm sure you've seen how I go after "da nooze"),
but hate seems self-defeating. I find I get more mileage
without it. ;)

_
My hate feels special though. it's the kind of hatred that Godzilla has when he tramples down buildings and then does his happy dance of victory.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My hate feels special though. it's the kind of hatred that Godzilla has when he tramples down buildings and then does his happy dance of victory.
Matthew 5:43
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,244,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'd be lying if I said I can't relate to that! :purpleheart:

Fortunately, I think it's a phase. At least, it seems to have
been for me. But then again, menopause hasn't fully kicked
in for me yet, so I might yet again become a real handful
before it's all over, lol! :D

-

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,265,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There isn't anything next best. A miss by a hair is the same as a miss by a mile.

Of course, it's all part of the sales tactics that I can't take seriously anymore. High-pressure salesmen say the exact same things. Doesn't make it any less wrong.

The next best thing is to make yourself your god. Might as well be honest. If you don't accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior you bare the cost of your sins yourself.

Assuming we share your assumptions about sin?

Why chose a third option when there are really only two choices.

More intellectual dishonesty.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟619,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of course, it's all part of the sales tactics that I can't take seriously anymore. High-pressure salesmen say the exact same things. Doesn't make it any less wrong.

Assuming we share your assumptions about sin?

More intellectual dishonesty.

Hi Firedragon, where do you stand now, I noticed it says "other religion" in your info box.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟619,699.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here's an idea: If you're struggling with becoming a "fully fledged Christian", then just start by concentrating on being a baby Christian. That's where we all start, and then we grow from that point. Another way of looking at it is that you shouldn't try to see the entire journey from the beginning. Just focus on the beginning, or wherever you are right now, and then move forward, no matter how small the steps are that you take. After many baby steps, you'll be surprised how far you will eventually go.

The problem I find strange as it may sound is I don't know where I am right now, other than that I am cut off in sense from myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟655,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The problem I find strange as it may sound is I don't know where I am right now, other than that I am cut off in sense from myself.

Oh? In what way?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know some may object to the question itself, and please reply if you do object for i want to hear those.

But I got to wondering if one cannot make the transition to be a fully fledged christian (and thats what I struggle with) is there something else I can convert to on the way.

The reason I think some may object is because they will say there is no next best, if you are not trusting in Jesus Christ, you are lost, and when you die it doesn't matter what your philosophy of life was, you will find yourself in a lost eternity. I understand that view. But I still struggle with becoming a christian. I am beginning to think I might be an ex-christian but again some will likely object to that term "ex-christian" because they believe in the perseverance of the saints, and they would say such people never were born-again to begin with.

Anyway what ever your take even if you are critical of the question please respond as I want to hear all views.

You can be saved if you treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself.
I'm not sure of the exact process though.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟655,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You can be saved if you treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself.
I'm not sure of the exact process though.

Paul and Silas had an alternative way to be saved:

Acts 16:29-31
29The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul and Silas had an alternative way to be saved:

Acts 16:29-31
29The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
Is the household automatically included....with slaves too?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟655,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do it say they must believe as well?

You distracting from the fact that I was addressing what you said about how to be saved. You said, "You can be saved if you treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself." I countered that by pointing out how scripture says we're to be saved. Remember, there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You distracting from the fact that I was addressing what you said about how to be saved. You said, "You can be saved if you treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself." I countered that by pointing out how scripture says we're to be saved. Remember, there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

You provided another way: The head of the household
can be saved, then everyone else is taken care of by default.

30He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sure. We can get back the the greatest command.

John 15
13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

1 John 4
18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

John 14
21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

John 14
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

1 John 5
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

Matthew 7
12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 6
31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Matthew 22:39-40
And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,265,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Is the household automatically included....with slaves too?

The highly patriarchal structure of a typical Greco-Roman family (the paterfamilias assuming responsibility and exercising authority for the family) gives the proper context for this passage. In that day and age, people did not typically choose their religion as individuals as we do today. The father had ultimate authority and responsibility in the family.

Upvote 0