Whats the next best thing to be if you are not a christian?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know some may object to the question itself, and please reply if you do object for i want to hear those.

But I got to wondering if one cannot make the transition to be a fully fledged christian (and thats what I struggle with) is there something else I can convert to on the way.

The reason I think some may object is because they will say there is no next best, if you are not trusting in Jesus Christ, you are lost, and when you die it doesn't matter what your philosophy of life was, you will find yourself in a lost eternity. I understand that view. But I still struggle with becoming a christian. I am beginning to think I might be an ex-christian but again some will likely object to that term "ex-christian" because they believe in the perseverance of the saints, and they would say such people never were born-again to begin with.

Anyway what ever your take even if you are critical of the question please respond as I want to hear all views.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....is there something else I can convert to on the way.
Just concentrate on being a decent, kind, and loving human being.

And yes....there are plenty folks like that out there that are not Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am firmly in the camp that their is no second best, because as Jesus Himself stated, “No man comes to the Father but through me”.

With that said, I would wonder what the afterlife will be like if the words of Jesus are true.

I recommend doing some thoughtful prayer on the topic.

Ask God to open your eyes to His truth.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I know some may object to the question itself, and please reply if you do object for i want to hear those.
I have no objection to the question. I imagine several readers will object to my answer.

It is in the form of another question. Wouldn't it be more interesting to suggest what might be better than a Christian? For example, an individual who humbly devotes themselves selflessly to the well being of others, while being certain that there is no afterlife, no reward in heaven for a life committed in this way.

{If anyone thinks I have breached forum rules by that suggestion, the Report button is down there on the left.}

• Winner
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

But I got to wondering if one cannot make the transition to be a fully fledged christian (and thats what I struggle with) is there something else I can convert to on the way.

The reason I think some may object is because they will say there is no next best, if you are not trusting in Jesus Christ, you are lost, and when you die it doesn't matter what your philosophy of life was, you will find yourself in a lost eternity. I understand that view. But I still struggle with becoming a christian. I am beginning to think I might be an ex-christian but again some will likely object to that term "ex-christian" because they believe in the perseverance of the saints, and they would say such people never were born-again to begin with.

Anyway what ever your take even if you are critical of the question please respond as I want to hear all views.
If you don’t mind my asking, what is

“A full fledged Christian”?

This is not a trick question btw

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

well ... Jesus offers eternal life with Him .... beyond that you will cease to exist (turned to dust/ashes) for eternity. I love the Lord with all my heart and look forward to living in a world without sin ... for eternity! AMEN!

we all struggle in this life ... and we all sin ... we will never be perfect until Jesus returns .... when one receives Jesus they are born again .... but that in no way means we won't ever mess up again ... and He knows that ... so yes we are to persevere ... He works in us and He WILL finish His work in us. And I believe it!

Philippians 1:6

New Living Translation
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

May the Lord bring you peace in your heart and mind so you may be at peace with Him ... until He returns. Amen

God Bless.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
  1. Mahayana Buddhist
  2. Sikh
  3. Orthodox Jew
  4. Moderate Muslim
  5. Sociobiology atheist
  6. Daoist / Shinto----
  7. Conservative Jew
  8. Marxist atheist
  9. Agnostic
  10. Theravada Buddhist
  11. Hindu----
  12. Neopagan
  13. semi-Christian cultist
  14. Wahhabist Muslim
  15. Satanists
NOTE: These are only the major options that I see. The exclusion of any other options is not to be taken as me rating them lower than Satanists. The quadruple dashes indicate the last in a group. So generally, I like everything that's Daoist and above, I feel ambivalent about Conservative Jews to Hindus, and I kind of resent Neopagan and below.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The next best thing is to make yourself your god. Might as well be honest. If you don't accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior you bare the cost of your sins yourself.

Why chose a third option when there are really only two choices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is in the form of another question. Wouldn't it be more interesting to suggest what might be better than a Christian? For example, an individual who humbly devotes themselves selflessly to the well being of others, while being certain that there is no afterlife, no reward in heaven for a life committed in this way.
How is this being better than a Christian?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

After I left Christianity, I spent a number of years studying various religions & philosophies. In the end, only one stood out to me from all the rest - Theravada Buddhism (Thai Forest Tradition for me in particular). It satisfied 1. the need of both my heart & 2. mind, the latter by emphasizing the need for direct knowledge through a clearly defined methodical practice, and 3. identified an end-goal that explained all of life.

Everything else was either based on hypotheticals (provided no path of practice), or on blind faith in things and events which I could not know directly for myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Here's an idea: If you're struggling with becoming a "fully fledged Christian", then just start by concentrating on being a baby Christian. That's where we all start, and then we grow from that point. Another way of looking at it is that you shouldn't try to see the entire journey from the beginning. Just focus on the beginning, or wherever you are right now, and then move forward, no matter how small the steps are that you take. After many baby steps, you'll be surprised how far you will eventually go.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
How is this being better than a Christian?
It is done without any anticipation of reward in the afterlife. It is done in order to do good, not to attain salvation.

In what way do think a Christian life would be superior?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is done without any anticipation of reward in the afterlife. It is done in order to do good, not to attain salvation.

In what way do think a Christian life would be superior?

Oh, I don't know. What did Jesus and His apostles say when a question would come up like, "What must I do to be saved?" And why did they talk so much about eternal life? It seems to be a good motivator. So does the idea of hell as an alternative.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Your question intrinsically assumes that being a Christian is 'the best thing'. Firstly you need to define 'best' and, secondly, provide at least some argument about how Christianity qualifies as 'best'.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How about just following Yahushua Messiah - Jesus, as a disciple permanently ? Whatever anyone calls you then, won't matter, will it ?

Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The next best thing? Well, hands-down, that would have to be a Pascalian Wagerer .............. :idea:

Upvote 0