• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

What's the meaning of 1st Maccabees?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Not David, May 23, 2020.

1. Not David

Not David Der Ewige Katechumene

+4,633
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Besides being a revolutionary for God...

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. AlexDTX

AlexDTX Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,744
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    1st & 2nd Maccabees are historical documents, canonized by Roman Catholics, but rejected by Protestants. For us protestants it is historical information that helps bridge the gap between Malachi and Matthew.

If there is any spiritual significance, you will have to wait for one of the Catholics to answer your question.

3. Not David

+4,633
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Why do you reject it though?

4. AlexDTX

+2,744
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    First of all, I had nothing to do with the canon of Scriptures. I simply meant that the apocrypha are not included in the Protestant Bible.

However, I have read both 1st and 2nd Maccabees and many other of the Apocryphal documents. If you are born again and Spirit filled, you can sense the presence of the Holy Spirit when reading his inspired works. Those books lack any sense of the inspiration. Nonetheless, I regard them as still valuable for understanding the thinking of the people in those times.

5. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+896
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The Masoretic Text was used to form the basis of the Protestant Old Testament whereas we use the Septuagint.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+1,566
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    This is a bad criterion for determining what is sacred scripture. Mormons use the same logic with regards to the book of Mormon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+13,578
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    you realize that you are in the Orthodox subforum on here, and he asked the Orthodox?

8. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,655
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    This thread was posted in the Eastern Orthodox subforum.

9. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+1,958
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Indeed it is

10. ArmyMatt

+13,578
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    indeed, practically every Mormon missionary's (at least those that came to me) great defense was a sense of peace at reading the Book of Mormon and praying.

11. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,655
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Quick, get this thread back on topic before the Senfield quotes start.

12. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+1,958
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

13. AlexDTX

+2,744
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Sensing the Spirit is not logic, but experience. If you try to understand Holy Writ by logic, you are using a bad criteria. Mormons do not have the new birth.

1Co 2:14 Now the natural man doesn’t receive the things of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to him, and he can’t know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    1Co 2:15 But he who is spiritual discerns all things, and he himself is judged by no one.

14. AlexDTX

+2,744
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    My mistake. I did not know that Maccabees is in the Orthodox writ as well.

However, my advice to him still remains. If he wants to understand the spiritual point of view that the Orthodox see in the text, then he will get that answer from them. I merely said it is not in Protestant Bibles, I did not make the canon of the Protestant Bible, but I have read those documents and had no sense of the Holy Spirit in my reading.

15. AlexDTX

+2,744
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, another has pointed that out. I said nothing against either Catholic or Orthodox views, only that they are the ones who can explain the spiritual pov in those books.

16. Not David

+4,633
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I haven't gotten the Orthodox point of view tho.

17. ArmyMatt

+13,578
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    no worries.

18. ArmyMatt

+13,578
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    it's Scripture.

19. DraculKain

DraculKain New Member

+18
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Republican
    Emotion can never be what we base the true Faith on. As Jeremiah said, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it?”

20. Not David

+4,633
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I mean the Spiritual lesson