What's new in the world of Creationism vs Evolution?

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I used to frequent these forums around a decade ago under a different alias. I see that some of the old regulars are still here and that some of the same ol' arguments are still getting tossed around (and I see AV1611VET is still posting endless challenge threads).

So has there been anything new or interesting cropped up in the last decade? I see AiG has actually started publishing more genomics-based material (articles like this one for example). Funny how it's taken them about a decade to start catching up to some of the real-world science. But in the end, it's the usual casting of FUD and reactionism.

Wondering if anything original or interesting has come in this time. Or is it mostly the same ol' arguments like moon dust and transitional fossils?

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I used to frequent these forums around a decade ago under a different alias. I see that some of the old regulars are still here and that some of the same ol' arguments are still getting tossed around (and I see AV1611VET is still posting endless challenge threads).

So has there been anything new or interesting cropped up in the last decade? I see AiG has actually started publishing more genomics-based material (articles like this one for example). Funny how it's taken them about a decade to start catching up to some of the real-world science. But in the end, it's the usual casting of FUD and reactionism.

Wondering if anything original or interesting has come in this time. Or is it mostly the same ol' arguments like moon dust and transitional fossils?
Intelligent Design is still popular to a degree. The coming thing seems to be Information Theory (blatant misrepresentations of) and the notion that genetic information can only have an intelligent source.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Intelligent Design is still popular to a degree. The coming thing seems to be Information Theory (blatant misrepresentations of) and the notion that genetic information can only have an intelligent source.

I remember back when all that stuff started. Do people still cite Behe, Dembski, et al? In fact, are the standard ID proponents still out there publishing stuff? Or have any new folks come into the fold?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I remember back when all that stuff started. Do people still cite Behe, Dembski, et al? In fact, are the standard ID proponents still out there publishing stuff? Or have any new folks come into the fold?
Are you aware of Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So has there been anything new or interesting cropped up in the last decade?

The quality of Creationist participation here has, sadly, diminished to nearly nothing. These days it's really just AV's tired antics, dad's well... being dad, and newbies joining and posting PRATTs that literally have been refuted a thousand times in this very subforum.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

No, it's basically the same.

Normally some passionate young person gets duped by a creo website posting PRATTs and for a while burns brightly with vim and verve, striving to knock science down a peg or two.

Then reality sets in, it goes quiet until the next Young Turk reads some more creo website.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So has there been anything new or interesting cropped up in the last decade?
Scientists now say Earth had two moons at one time.

But, unlike Mars' moons, Mother Nature couldn't control them and now we have one.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This validates the scripture that there is "nothing new under the sun". Christians haven't proven creation or ID, and science hasn't solved the problems of crime, war, hunger, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

There are a few that come to mind.

Behe's book "Edge of Evolution" attempts to make the IC argument in the world of genomes. In the book, Behe claims that the malaria parasite had to obtain two specific mutations in order to be resistant to chloroquine treatment. As it turns out, there are many paths for evolving chloroquine resistance outside of just those two mutations.

Douglas Axe and Ann Gauger did some experiments where they tried to support ID. What they did instead was try to refute evolution which we all know is not ID research. Anyway . . . they tried to argue that mutations could not bridge the differences between two homologous genes found in two different bacterial species. What they found is that they couldn't change one gene into the other by adding one mutation to the next. What they failed to understand is that one modern species does not evolve from another modern species. They evolve from a common ancestor. What they should have done is use a phylogenetic method to reconstruct the ancestral gene and start with that. They didn't. Therefore, their work even fails to properly test evolution, much less ID.

Yet another example that comes to mind is some work done by Dr. Jeffrey Tomkins. He tried to claim that the human and chimp genomes are actually only 88% similar. The problem is that he used an ungapped analysis which ignores indels and artificially increases the differences between homologous DNA. For example:

TCATGAGTGCCCCGTTATGG
TCATGAGTGCCCGTTATGG

ungapped analysis, 15/20 or 75%

TCATGAGTGCCCCGTTATGG
TCATGAGTGCCC-GTTATGG

gapped analysis, 19/20 or 95%

When you use Tomkins same method with the exception of a gapped analysis instead of an ungapped analysis you get the expected results of >95%.

Those are three examples that come to mind. "Edge of Evolution" may be from your previous stint here at CF, but I think the others may be new to you.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... and science hasn't solved the problems of crime, war, hunger, etc.
Actually I question that ... at least from their perspective.

They have a good explanation; they just don't use it anymore for some reason.

It's called "Malthusian catastrophies."

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually I question that ... at least from their perspective.

They have a good explanation; they just don't use it anymore for some reason.

It's called "Malthusian catastrophies."

Perhaps they have so many scientific advances in their toolbox that no problem is too daunting anymore, not even the Malthusian catastrophe.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
On the legal/school front, in the US the move is toward writing laws that forbid school districts from forbidding teachers to discuss 'strengths and weaknesses' of scientific theories. While touted as academic freedom, it's pretty clear that they are intended to provide cover for anti-science views.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant