Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
HUBIE said:
Sorry, Been away on work.

Our electric (family of 5) runs about $160 in the winter. We have an electric stove, water heater and forced hot air heat. Some find good savings with a boiler (hot water baseboard heat) or gas stoves, dryers etc. Gas isn't easy or cheap in Maine, too much Granite to bury the pipes for one thing... I would avoid the whole wood stove unless you're familiar with them. Wood isn't cheap right now anyway since oil went through the roof, everyone is buying wood, the whole supply/demand picture. People from Maine are "Mainers", however you'll never be one unless you have like four generations of family in the ground. I'm from away, but my wife and kids were all born here.... guess they tolerate me okay!;) I'd make sure you have a vehicle that's good in snow, Bangor gets bunches more than the coast, people seem to really love Subarus's here, and Jeep's. I live in Bath, which is near the coast and Lewiston which is only 30 miles west of us gets nearly twice as much snow as we do. Course, we sometimes get more ice/freezing rain than they do! Hope your move goes well, get a reliable relator and a good home inspection before you buy.

Joe

Will do. Thanks.

I'll be househunting in Maine on APRIL 9th! I have the hotel all set - the manager was a sweetheart. Gave me a real deal.

You know, I've talked with bankers, realtors, this manager, etc. up there, and I haven't yet talked with a Mainer who isn't so down-home nice that I almost feel like pinching myself. I think I've been in cities and big towns for too long.

Upvote 0

HUBIE

A Blind Beggar
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, ME
✟7,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
MsJL said:
:eek:

^_^

BTW, I made it to Maine. I'm in my house right now.

:cool:

Praise the Lord! ((((((MsJL))))))

Now get busy and help the rest of us evanglize this state will ya? :)

I'm in Washington D.C. right now...... work gets in the way a lot. I don't post here too often, but I probably will be more often now...... Loooonnnnnggg story. Hope you are setteling in well. Enjoy the summer, it goes away too soon. Make sure you get over to Acadia National Park. Caddilac Mountain and the rest of the park are worth the trip. Downtown Bar Harbor is fun to shop, but wait until October for the deals. Right now, it's probablly too expensive for "locals" like us. Course, since we were not born here, we will NEVER be considered Mainers, just OKAY folks who came to their senses and moved to God's Country.

God's Grace and Mercy to you.

Joe

Upvote 0
It depends...where in Maine?

I don't live there, but my Grandparents do and I visit there alot.

Pros:
It's beautiful, especially by the coast (kind of cold for swimming though)
People are pretty nice
Food is good

Cons:
Speed traps (some roads goes from 50 mph to 35mph within a matter of a mile..yikes!)
Country music (in Maine! Sorry, thats just my opinion)
Some of the state is a bit disorganized (plots of land scattered around all over the place)
People can't drive (but that's true elsewhere too)
Long and cold winters, high heating costs

But that's just me...I personally like to visit but wouldn't want to live up there. But I think I saw that you've moved there..how is it?

;)

Upvote 0