✟3,239.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
KristiXP said:
MsJL, Bangor is actually fairly close to Bar Harbor, I'd say about an hour away. I love Bar Harbor but unfortunatly havn't been there for over a year! Acadia National Park is located there. Let me know when you move to Bangor, I live only 45 minutes away and actually work 15 minutes north of Bangor. If you ever need help getting to know the area, let me know!

Hi, Kristi - you're on, and what a generous offer! Thanks!

The kids and I have been talking about our first-ever vacation, and we actually decided on Bar Harbor. Next summer - we researched the hotels there, found a beauty on the coast.

What do you do for a living? I need to find work about a year after we arrive. I'm without a formal education (no college degree), but I'm also a jack-of-all (many, anyway:) )-trades in blue-collar stuff. Sales, bartending, waitressing, grocery clerk, even was a barback for a while. Are there enough places I could work there?

My favorite house, the one I really want to buy, is in Bangor. An old Victorian. I can't believe how inexpensive the houses are there, compared to NH. We can't wait to get there.

Upvote 0

hippie

Jul 25, 2005
Maine
✟1,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MsJL said:
but I'm also a jack-of-all (many, anyway:) )-trades in blue-collar stuff. Sales, bartending, waitressing, grocery clerk, even was a barback for a while. Are there enough places I could work there?

You do all of those things and learn to talk native and no one will ever know you're from away!!

AYUH!!

Upvote 0

53Isaiah

2 Timothy 4:1-8
Nov 1, 2005
Massachusetts
✟16,176.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is a photo from a motorcycle trip to Maine back in Aug.

Attachments

• 100_2470.JPG
    100_2470.JPG
    867.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_2481.JPG
    100_2481.JPG
    561.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_2496.JPG
    100_2496.JPG
    670.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_2472.JPG
    100_2472.JPG
    684.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_2482.JPG
    100_2482.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0

MsJL

The Senior Contentious Woman
Oct 24, 2005
Beautiful New Hampshire
Visit site
✟3,239.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm getting really restless - want to move now. :prayer:

If anyone's still reading here, what are home prices like in the Bangor area? They seem so inexpensive, compared to NH. Can you get a decent house for around 150-180K? I want something small, with a small yard, in-town location (whether it's in-town Bangor, or one of the small towns around it.)

I'm on Realtor.com all the time, and it seems like that price range can buy what looks like a nice home - is that true?

Upvote 0

2tim

Feb 17, 2005
Maine, USA
✟7,888.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
MsJL said:

If anyone's still reading here, what are home prices like in the Bangor area? They seem so inexpensive, compared to NH. Can you get a decent house for around 150-180K? I want something small, with a small yard, in-town location (whether it's in-town Bangor, or one of the small towns around it.)

I'm on Realtor.com all the time, and it seems like that price range can buy what looks like a nice home - is that true?

Oh yes. Here are some pix of the home we bought in Brunswick for 145K.

Attachments

• lamb_farm_road-dsc01248.jpg
    lamb_farm_road-dsc01248.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 52
  • lamb_farm_road-dsc01249.jpg
    lamb_farm_road-dsc01249.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 51
  • lamb_farm_road-dsc01258.jpg
    lamb_farm_road-dsc01258.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 44
  • lamb_farm_road-dsc01251.jpg
    lamb_farm_road-dsc01251.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hippie

Jul 25, 2005
Maine
✟1,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MsJL said:

For that kind of money you could buy a very nice house in the Bangor area

Upvote 0

MsJL

Oct 24, 2005
Beautiful New Hampshire
Visit site
✟3,239.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
2tim - Thank you!

Great house - love the big trees, and the nice yard, too. It seems like there are lots of older homes up there, which is like a dream-come-true for me. I'm an antique home lover.

Hippie, I look at some of these places on Realtor.com, and I see homes that are around 150K that would go for at least twice that much where I am. And the property taxes are SO much lower. I can't wait to go house hunting - hoping to be up there no later than March for the hunt, and be living there by the first of May.

I'm also checking out the weather patterns in Bangor all the time - they aren't much different than they are here.

I so appreciate the info. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Compass05

Dec 2, 2005
Maine
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ahh, Milbridge, thou art my home. Who knows about good ol' Washington County, eh? Anyone ever been to Milbridge? The half-way point between Ellsworth and Machias, 60 miles from Bangor, and 180-ot miles from Brunswick and my dream college of Bowdoin! Beautiful scenery, a neat little waterfront town, and goodness don't I love living here. Born and bred. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

hippie

Jul 25, 2005
Maine
✟1,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Compass05 said:
Ahh, Milbridge, thou art my home. Who knows about good ol' Washington County, eh? Anyone ever been to Milbridge? The half-way point between Ellsworth and Machias, 60 miles from Bangor, and 180-ot miles from Brunswick and my dream college of Bowdoin! Beautiful scenery, a neat little waterfront town, and goodness don't I love living here. Born and bred. :thumbsup:

So that's what...maybe 3 hrs to Calais?

Upvote 0

Compass05

Dec 2, 2005
Maine
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe even a little less. You can't miss Milbridge. Unless you take one of the routes that connects directly to Bangor, you have to travel Route 1 or Black's Woods Road to a junction just outside of Ellsworth. (Black's Woods Road connects in Cherryfield, and is an alternate way to Ellsworth - DANGEROUS THIS TIME OF YEAR!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hippie

Jul 25, 2005
Maine
✟1,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Compass05 said:
Maybe even a little less. You can't miss Milbridge. Unless you take one of the routes that connects directly to Bangor, you have to travel Route 1 or Black's Woods Road to a junction just outside of Ellsworth. (Black's Woods Road connects in Cherryfield, and is an alternate way to Ellsworth - DANGEROUS THIS TIME OF YEAR!)

Who wants to take the Airline now that's it's been fixed?!?! Takes all the adventure out of it!!:sorry:

Upvote 0

MsJL

Oct 24, 2005
Beautiful New Hampshire
Visit site
✟3,239.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Compass05 said:
Pretty much! Tons of basketball games coming up.... Maine's always so busy in December.

You got good snowmobile trails there?

Another question: I heard that Maine has relatively high electric rates. Is that true? Any homeowners here who would want to share some of their utility costs, I'd really appreciate the info. Trying to do a sketch of a budget.

And what is the term for a Maine resident? (Like in NH, they're called "New Hampshiremen".)

I found a house on Realtor.com I'm crazy about. The only thing it seems to need is some decorating (pending inspection, that is), and I'd probably be able to install a direct-vent fireplace, because it's not a real expensive property.:cool:

Hey, Merry Christmas, everyone.

Upvote 0

HUBIE

A Blind Beggar
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, ME
✟7,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
MsJL said:
You got good snowmobile trails there?

Another question: I heard that Maine has relatively high electric rates. Is that true? Any homeowners here who would want to share some of their utility costs, I'd really appreciate the info. Trying to do a sketch of a budget.

And what is the term for a Maine resident? (Like in NH, they're called "New Hampshiremen".)

I found a house on Realtor.com I'm crazy about. The only thing it seems to need is some decorating (pending inspection, that is), and I'd probably be able to install a direct-vent fireplace, because it's not a real expensive property.:cool:

Hey, Merry Christmas, everyone.

Sorry, Been away on work.

Our electric (family of 5) runs about $160 in the winter. We have an electric stove, water heater and forced hot air heat. Some find good savings with a boiler (hot water baseboard heat) or gas stoves, dryers etc. Gas isn't easy or cheap in Maine, too much Granite to bury the pipes for one thing... I would avoid the whole wood stove unless you're familiar with them. Wood isn't cheap right now anyway since oil went through the roof, everyone is buying wood, the whole supply/demand picture. People from Maine are "Mainers", however you'll never be one unless you have like four generations of family in the ground. I'm from away, but my wife and kids were all born here.... guess they tolerate me okay!;) I'd make sure you have a vehicle that's good in snow, Bangor gets bunches more than the coast, people seem to really love Subarus's here, and Jeep's. I live in Bath, which is near the coast and Lewiston which is only 30 miles west of us gets nearly twice as much snow as we do. Course, we sometimes get more ice/freezing rain than they do! Hope your move goes well, get a reliable relator and a good home inspection before you buy.

Joe

Upvote 0