Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my local church, the pastor seems to treat the church as his private project. One room is filled with junk. Other rooms are dirty, and there is an unacceptable odor to the church. Much work needs to be done to make the church presentable. I suspect insurance forms are not being filled out correctly for the conference insurance programs. Visitors from the community seem to come once and never return. Did I mention he is a family member?

More than one member has offered to come in and clean up the church, but he has refused to allow them to do so. Besides bringing it to the Lord in prayer, what can be done?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If it is a denominational church, an appeal to the higher-ups could be in order. You did mention a "conference."

If it is unaffiliated, you are describing a common problem with such congregations, but these still normally have some sort of board of control that's made up of local laypersons who could be appealed to.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟477,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
More than one member has offered to come in and clean up the church, but he has refused to allow them to do so. Besides bringing it to the Lord in prayer, what can be done?

Have a group of concerned members set up a meeting with him and confront him on these issues.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
There are some "non-denominational" churches that are owned outright by the pastor and there is nothing a congregation can do about it except leave.
The elders in My non denominational church would kick my dad (pastor) out so fast if he did something weird. But also, typically the teaching/preaching individual in the church doesn’t have time to do the custodial ministry. Might be something he needs to delegate

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟997,851.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In my local church, the pastor seems to treat the church as his private project. One room is filled with junk. Other rooms are dirty, and there is an unacceptable odor to the church. Much work needs to be done to make the church presentable. I suspect insurance forms are not being filled out correctly for the conference insurance programs. Visitors from the community seem to come once and never return. Did I mention he is a family member?

Maybe you should quit going to the church for a while in hopes it will get his attention.

Upvote 0