• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Whats a member to do?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by WindHund, Jan 17, 2020.

1. WindHund

WindHund Prophet of Doom

+56
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    In my local church, the pastor seems to treat the church as his private project. One room is filled with junk. Other rooms are dirty, and there is an unacceptable odor to the church. Much work needs to be done to make the church presentable. I suspect insurance forms are not being filled out correctly for the conference insurance programs. Visitors from the community seem to come once and never return. Did I mention he is a family member?

More than one member has offered to come in and clean up the church, but he has refused to allow them to do so. Besides bringing it to the Lord in prayer, what can be done?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+23,348
    Anglican
    Married
    If it is a denominational church, an appeal to the higher-ups could be in order. You did mention a "conference."

If it is unaffiliated, you are describing a common problem with such congregations, but these still normally have some sort of board of control that's made up of local laypersons who could be appealed to.

3. maintenance man

maintenance man Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,464
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Have a group of concerned members set up a meeting with him and confront him on these issues.

4. GaveMeJoy

GaveMeJoy Well-Known Member

+422
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    Speak to the elders of the church about this issue and ask them to address it with the pastor. If your church doesn’t have elders, find another church that has elders.

5. JackRT

JackRT OOPS!!! Supporter

+13,996
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    There are some "non-denominational" churches that are owned outright by the pastor and there is nothing a congregation can do about it except leave.

6. GaveMeJoy

GaveMeJoy Well-Known Member

+422
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    The elders in My non denominational church would kick my dad (pastor) out so fast if he did something weird. But also, typically the teaching/preaching individual in the church doesn’t have time to do the custodial ministry. Might be something he needs to delegate

7. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+2,721
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    Maybe you should quit going to the church for a while in hopes it will get his attention.

8. hope faith love

hope faith love ****LOVE****

+158
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Divorced
    well if its a family owned church really not much you can do i guess except pray and "ask God to move on his heart"