Whatever Happened to the Ten Commandments?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They had a conscience of God and were judged on it.

Paul talked about this in his letters.
The conscience doesn't know the truth. Paul says people sin by eating food they have superstitions about.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The conscience doesn't know the truth. Paul says people sin by eating food they have superstitions about.

Rom. 2:14-16
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although many disregard it.
Nothing wrong with the Law.
We read it often at Church.
M-Bob
But love does not want to steal, so we do the opposite of what the Ten tells us not to do. Do not steal = give. Do not murder = love enemies, etc.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rom. 2:14-16
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
But why does the conscience offer this condemnation?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No man will have an excuse when he stands before God!
The reason the conscience condemns all who never heard the law is the Two Great Commandments written in every heart. You know how you want to be treated. But nobody treats others at this level. So all go tho hell because of it. Only the Born Again can live up to this law in the power of the Holy Spirit. And this in its spiritual state replaced the Ten Commandments designed for wicked people.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It was not new, it was from Deuteronomy and Leviticus...
I understand.. But Christ said it was new here:

John 13:34 King James Version (KJV)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

That's why I stated as such.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand.. But Christ said it was new here:

John 13:34 King James Version (KJV)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

That's why I stated as such.
It's the same Abraham, Abel, Job and all believers have. New in the sense the Old Covenant was being removed by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You sin by keeping the Ten Commandments. Why? If you do not steal, you still steal because love (righteousness) demands that you give to others as your equal.
Sorry, read that a few times.... Doesn't wash....

You do not sin by keeping the Ten Commandments. Otherwise Christ was a sinner.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember, Jesus said the Ten hung from the Two. That is the Two preceded the Ten and replaced them in the New Covenant.
Seems like a misquote. The Ten are NOT "All the Law and the Prophets". (the books of)

Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, read that a few times.... Doesn't wash....

You do not sin by keeping the Ten Commandments. Otherwise Christ was a sinner.
Christ fulfilled them by keeping the Two Great Commandments actively. If you don't steal from someone, yet the Two Great Commandments tell you to treat others as your equal, you are stealing from them anyway because you owe them the same treatment you lavish on yourself.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like a misquote. The Ten are NOT "All the Law and the Prophets". (the books of)

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Does the bible misquote?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After his resurrection, Jesus explained what he said in the Sermon on the Mount. (Matt.5:17) It was prophetic fulfillment, not compliance with the law as fulfillment. Jesus was deconstructing the law as he went. He even treats the law as hearsay in the Sermon on the Mount. "You have heard that it was said... But I tell you..." (replacing statement)

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Luke 24:44
He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does the bible misquote?
You said the Ten hang from the Two. Is that not a misquote?

Saint Steven said:

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Saint Steven said:

As I said.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What happened to the 10? They're in the New Testament - not grouped together. "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15). Jesus came to earth to fulfill - doesnt mean abolish.(Matt) 5).

Since God took the time to write them, think all of them are important. Exo 31

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 3:7. But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:8. How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?9. For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.10. For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.11. For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.12. Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:13. And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:14. But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.15. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.16. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.”
I was just about to quote that. But checking to see if anyone already had and there it was.

If we agree that the Ten Commandments were "written and engraved in stones", we then see the Apostle painting quite the vivid picture of the two covenants.

The Ten Commandments were the transitory ministry of condemnation and death that have no glory now. Other than that, he is just fine with them. - lol

2 Corinthians 3:7-11
Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said.
Nope.

Dave L said:
Remember, Jesus said the Ten hung from the Two. That is the Two preceded the Ten and replaced them in the New Covenant.

Saint Steven said:

Saint Steven said:

Upvote 0