What would you think of a non-Baptist pastor who uses the pulpit to make fun of Baptists?

Appropriate or inappropriate?

• Appropriate, or no big deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inappropriate when done just for a laugh or without explanation

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The pastor has a dry sense of humor and tries to be funny while keeping a straight face. Much of the congregation laughs, but not all. There's no way to know to what extent he's joking, or to have any idea why he's picking on Baptists rather than other denominations cause he never elaborates with detail on what he doesn't like about them. He might just say 'unlike those Baptists' or 'that's something I'd expect from the Baptists.' It may be that he has nothing against them, but they are the easiest punching bag to make fun of and get a laugh, for whatever reason. Why not Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, etc. I have no idea. It's just something about Baptists that's humorous to him.

Last edited:

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Making fun of any group is not in keeping with the spirit of the Gospels.

And at noon Elijah mocked them, saying, “Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.” (1 Kings 18:27)

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The pastor has a dry sense of humor and tries to be funny while keeping a straight face. Much of the congregation laughs, but not all. There's no way to know to what extent he's joking, or to have any idea why he's picking on Baptists rather than other denominations cause he never elaborates with detail on what he doesn't like about them. He might just say 'unlike those Baptists' or 'that's something I'd expect from the Baptists.' If may be that he has nothing against them, but they are the easiest punching bag to make fun of and get a laugh, for whatever reason. Why not Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, etc. I have no idea. It's just something about Baptists that's humorous to him.
Would have to know where he is coming from. Does he have a bone to pick because he was once a Baptist? Does he have some unforgiveness toward certain people? Is he stereotyping all Baptists based on some personal experience with one church? Are his jokes just in good fun, or do they slip into slander? What kind of picture is he trying to paint for his congregation? If it can be categorized as slander or gossip in that context, then he is sinning and needs to repent.
TD:)

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't thinks it's ever appropriate to ridicule or mock fellow Christians. It's not charitable. It's ok to disagree with others, or to point out perceived error, but to go on ridiculing or jabbing at people cruelly is something different, and something we should check ourselves on if we find ourselves doing it.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
He must think they’re fair game. The question is is it mean spirited. Now I think their own denomination is another story. It’s usually funny because it’s true. Like how Orthodox are always late or Lutherans are the frozen chosen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The pastor has a dry sense of humor and tries to be funny while keeping a straight face. Much of the congregation laughs, but not all. There's no way to know to what extent he's joking, or to have any idea why he's picking on Baptists rather than other denominations cause he never elaborates with detail on what he doesn't like about them. He might just say 'unlike those Baptists' or 'that's something I'd expect from the Baptists.' It may be that he has nothing against them, but they are the easiest punching bag to make fun of and get a laugh, for whatever reason. Why not Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, etc. I have no idea. It's just something about Baptists that's humorous to him.

For a Pastor to make fun in any manner of a Christian denomination is extremely inappropriate and sad. What a poor example of godly behavior for his congregation. And people wonder why we have so much disunity within the Body of Christ. This type of behavior feeds disunity.

It could be he is carrying his personal baggage (some issue with Baptist from his past) into the pulpit.

Upvote 0

LiquidCat

Nov 14, 2019
Warsaw
✟10,163.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

People like to compete against fair opponents maybe he does not consider other denominations as worth the effort and look down on them therefore he only jokes about these which he consider to be worthy to be joked about but more like picking on small things .

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on how it's used. It shouldn't be mean-spirited or have the effect of encouraging mean-spiritedness or sinful pride.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Since you have started two posts about things you feel that Pastor has said that concern you and maybe are insulting to others, it seems you are not feeling comfortable with him at all. It is hard to know what is going on with him from such a distance. If he keeps disturbing you with his remarks, then maybe you need to go elsewhere.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And, by the way . . . which Baptists is he talking about?

independent fundamentalist baptists

soul gospel baptists

southern baptists

town center church baptists

American baptists

liberal baptists

conservative baptists

some combination of the above baptists

And in case you are talking about a baptist you know personally, if he or she is in Jesus, he or she is growing; so if you haven't seen the person for a while, whatever you say about him or her could be out-of-date! :idea: :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And at noon Elijah mocked them, saying, “Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.” (1 Kings 18:27)
but where was this action condoned?
It also wsa not the gospel.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are not willing to talk with the pastor about this then there is not much that can be done.
The bible says a kingdom divided against itself it can not stand. I had a issue with a guy in my bible study group being critical of catholics. I eventually asked leaders of the group if I could have a chat sometime about an issue. The issue resolved itself as he left the group and went to another.

Upvote 0