What would you do if your child changed religions?

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering...

Say your child was still at home after school, so say 18 or so, and they informed you they were now going to be Buddhist/Hindu/Pagan (nature worship, not Satanist!) or the like.

How would you handle this in your house?

Would you allow them to eat according to the new dietary constraints they may have?

Would you allow them to have books on the topic?

Would you allow them to have a place to worship in their room (ie a shrine to Vishnu or whatever)?

Just it came up the other day at work, and I couldn't really consolidate my thoughts at the time, so I wondered how others on CF might approach it...

I know at my house, had I told mum I wasn't going to follow Christ anymore, I would still have been made to go to church, and practice Christian rituals such as grace/devotions etc until I left home.

Not that I ever planned to - but I do wonder how to handle this kind of thing, should my children ever express to me a desire to look outside Christianity.

Sasch

Reactions: Manna

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would love them as my child and continue to speak to them *but* I would not allow at of the "religions" junk in my house. My home, my rules and I would not accept shrines to false gods etc.

They are over 18, if they want religious freedom they are more than able to get a job good enough to support themselves and move out. In their own home, they can do as they wish, in my home they will respect my God.

I wouldn't force anyone to attend church as I believe it would lead the person to resenting church and or God.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I've been the child who changed religions. My mum is pagan and I became a christian, I hope I would handle it like she would with a 'it's your life, your choice attitude'. I probably would because I'm that kind of person.

If their new religion required them to follow a certain diet then of course I would allow them, of course they would have to cook it themselves and if they needed anything I wouldn't normally buy in my weekly shopping then they would have to buy it themselves or give me the money for it.

I would allow them to have books on it - I'd want to read them myself so I'd know what my child was into but I think shrines would be pushing it a bit, I don't think I'd allow that.

I wouldn't force them to attend church - I think that would just cause resentment.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Linnis said:
I would love them as my child and continue to speak to them *but* I would not allow at of the "religions" junk in my house. My home, my rules and I would not accept shrines to false gods etc.

They are over 18, if they want religious freedom they are more than able to get a job good enough to support themselves and move out. In their own home, they can do as they wish, in my home they will respect my God.

I wouldn't force anyone to attend church as I believe it would lead the person to resenting church and or God.

I hope it doesn't happen to me, but I think this is how I would handle it.

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...

they'll have to move out of my house in order for them to bring home anything that served another (obviously false) god.

In their own home they can do as they wish. I already pray for Peter, who isn't due for another 3 months. For his salvation. I pray that my husband and I "train him up in the ways of the Lord". I will cross this road if it comes... in the far future. But I will not disobey the Lord by letting my children bring things into my home that are against Christ.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They would not be asked to leave home, but I would hope they are working on it as an adult. I would ask that I could read one of their books or have a discussion about how they believe. I'd like to know. I would NOT permit a shrine/alter whatever servicing another god in my and my husband's home. I would also ask that they not urge their siblings toward their new religion. Foods, if it is different than the norm for the house they need to buy and prepare it.

I will not force my adult child to attend church with me. That only leads them further away from Christ.

Upvote 0

Primrose

Innocent Bystander
Nov 13, 2004
GA, USA
✟3,018.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Athene said:
I've been the child who changed religions. My mum is pagan and I became a christian, I hope I would handle it like she would with a 'it's your life, your choice attitude'. I probably would because I'm that kind of person.

If their new religion required them to follow a certain diet then of course I would allow them, of course they would have to cook it themselves and if they needed anything I wouldn't normally buy in my weekly shopping then they would have to buy it themselves or give me the money for it.

I would allow them to have books on it - I'd want to read them myself so I'd know what my child was into but I think shrines would be pushing it a bit, I don't think I'd allow that.

I wouldn't force them to attend church - I think that would just cause resentment.
What she said.

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm with Athene on how to handle this.

Tryinghard, I like your idea of adding a discussion about the new beliefs and yes, I would not want that child to influence any other children.

And Professormom, I would most definately pray for the intercession of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

My husband is an aetheist, so we're on some shaky ground...

I don't think I can actually answer, becuase I think what I would do would depend on a whole lot of fervent prayer and lots of listening, and waiting upon the Lord for Him to guide me.

I pray everyday for my children's heroic lifelong innocence, purity , chastity and faith...that they will never -even for a moment- turn away from the Faith. That God would grant the gift of their death rather than their unfaithfulness....

Needless to say that I am hoping that I will never have to deal with my children's apostacy....but if I do- I will trust in the Lord to direct me, and entrust their souls to His mercy.

Upvote 0

Randombitsofstring

May 28, 2006
✟9,237.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think I would be ok with it.

I was never allowed to choice my own religion; I wasn’t even allowed to go to a catholic church with a friend. If I didn’t feel like going to church-too bad. (My mom could stay up drinking all Saturday night, but come Sunday morning hang over or not we were in church.)

Since I was not allowed to even mention any other religions in the presence of my parents I always said I would allow my children to explore other religions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would totally NOT be ok with it. No shrines or temples or altars in my house. No books on the subject in my house.

I'm fine with one of my kids wanting to change their diet, but if they were doing it for religious reasons, I'd object.

We've prayed for our children since before they were born. We homeschool, do Bible studies at home, talk about the Word and the L-rd every day, but do not force anyone to attend church. We have Christian and Messianic materials in the house, and we encourage questions and reading. At this point, none of my children have strayed. My kids are nearly 24, 22, 16, 14, 12, 8, 6, and 4. Only my youngest hasn't accepted the L-rd yet, but she talks about it. ;)

Upvote 0

Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Say your child was still at home after school, so say 18 or so, and they informed you they were now going to be Buddhist/Hindu/Pagan (nature worship, not Satanist!) or the like.

How would you handle this in your house?

If she made a decision to live out different beliefs, that is her decision. However, as long as she is living under my roof, she will be living according to the standards of Christ. Nothing will be brought in that goes against Christ, including items, music/books or words.

Would you allow them to eat according to the new dietary constraints they may have?

Yep, she'd be allowed to eat anything different that she wanted. But if it was different from what I was cooking, she would have to purchase and prepare it herself. I would never give her a bad time about it, but I would definitely stick to that rule.

Would you allow them to have books on the topic?

An informative book, yes, but a sort of "bible", no.

Would you allow them to have a place to worship in their room (ie a shrine to Vishnu or whatever)?

Absolutely not.

Great questions! Every parent should consider the "what-if's" like these. Reps to you!

Upvote 0