Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
. . . . Or what would it take for the Pope to come back to the Faith where he is "first among equals"?

Although we share 1000 years, we have also been estranged for another 1000. We are very different. You are closer to Catholicism, as a Protestant, than is the Orthodox Church. Your separation is not as wide.

Love,
Christina

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I would like to ask what it would take for the Orthodoxs to once again come under the Reign of the Pope? Thanks. :wave:
Direct answer to question as stated (altough without "once again")- extermination of Orthodox Christians.

Honest answer to question "I would like to ask what it would take for the Orthodoxs to once again accept Pope as one of the Patriarchs" would be: It would take return to the Orthodox Vatican.

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
. . . . Or what would it take for the Pope to come back to the Faith where he is "first among equals"?

Although we share 1000 years, we have also been estranged for another 1000. We are very different. You are closer to Catholicism, as a Protestant, than is the Orthodox Church. Your separation is not as wide.

Love,
Christina

Something along the lines of "from the east to the west"?:D

Reactions: Oblio
Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
The Pope would renounce his Roman Catholicism and become Orthodox. There is nothing that would cause the Church as a whole to join with him.

There are such things as uniate churches, which are basically Byzantine Catholic churches and the like, but they are no longer Orthodox.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
OH correct me if I am wrong...you BOTH claim to be the first,only church that Jesus founded...correct?
First of all, those words in caps imply that you're yelling at me. Please do not do that.

Secondly, just because both claim to be the Church established at Pentecost does not mean both see eye-to-eye on enough for reunion... the reasons normally cited for the schism are disagreements over papal authority and the filioque in the Nicene Creed added by the west. Someone did not carry on the faith in all its fullness. RCs believe it is the Orthodox. The Orthodox believe it was the RC. And I won't go any further than that.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is going to happen.

It will happen with a Pope who will be revived after being fatally injured in the head.
:eek: Wow. I suppose that would prove the divinity of the pope. Heck, even I would follow him if that happened. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

The differences in "theology", although apparently small , can seem almost insurmountable ... to the "Orthodox mind", these small differences actually betray a very different understanding of God and the "spiritual anthropology" or understanding of man. An "understanding" of God leads to an understanding of man and the way to salvation. This is at the core of our worship, for "orthodox" means both "right belief and right worship".

Should agreement be reached in the future, recognize that the Orthodox (both Oriental and Eastern) are unlikely rushed in these matters. 1500 years is but a drop in the eternal ...

EDIT: also, I don't think the Orthodox would say "come under the pope"; the Pope of Rome was considered "first among equals" but still had "one vote".

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
:eek: Wow. I suppose that would prove the divinity of the pope. Heck, even I would follow him if that happened. :)
I think he is referencing this:
One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth followed the beast with wonder. - Rev 13:3

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Pope would renounce his Roman Catholicism and become Orthodox. There is nothing that would cause the Church as a whole to join with him.

There are such things as uniate churches, which are basically Byzantine Catholic churches and the like, but they are no longer Orthodox.

What came first Orthodox right? (still learning here)

What is meant by renouncing Catholicism? What might that include?

Whats considered unorthodox in this particular situation (between the two)?

Im unsure of the differences between the two... I actually ~assumed~ you guys had a pope (or believed in popism)...

I know Im showing how dense I am regarding the subject and differences. ^_^

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
What came first Orthodox right? (still learning here)

What is meant by renouncing Catholicism? What might that include?

Whats considered unorthodox in this particular situation (between the two)?

Im unsure of the differences between the two... I actually ~assumed~ you guys had a pope (or believed in popism)...

I know Im showing how dense I am regarding the subject and differences. ^_^

Peace

Fireinfolding

I'll answer you the best I can here, though you might want to ask in TAW where I can guarantee you will receive the correct answers.

Renouncing Catholicism simply means returning to Orthodoxy. The two are what you would call separate "denominations," basically, though we definitely would not consider ourselves such (what with that whole "one holy catholic and apostolic Church" thing ;)). There are a few theological points that we feel would need fixing, basically.

What's un-Orthodox about Roman Catholicism? Well, as stated earlier, the main issues that caused the split were the papacy (the bishop of Rome was always the first among equals, not what he is now) and the insertion of the filioque - Orthodoxy condemns the idea that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son as He does from the Father as heretical. There are plenty of others that have arisen over the years, such as the Immaculate Conception of Mary.

We do not have a pope as do the Roman Catholics. There are a number of autocephalous churches (such as the church of Greece, Antioch, Russia, Bulgaria, Jerusalem, and so forth) and all have patriarchs, but none of them alone are infallible as the RCs claim the pope to be.

Somebody correct me if any of that is inaccurate. Again, visit TAW if you want some really good answers to your questions. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.