Morbid question but what would happen if the Holy Father passed away during Holy Week?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What takes precedence, the Holy Week celebrations and observances or the papal conclave? Would the ranking Cardinal stand in for the pope or would they rush a vote for new one?

It's just something I was thinking about when I was considering what Napolitano said about him and also knowing how busy the pope is this week.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What takes precedence, the Holy Week celebrations and observances or the papal conclave? Would the ranking Cardinal stand in for the pope or would they rush a vote for new one?

It's just something I was thinking about when I was considering what Napolitano said about him and also knowing how busy the pope is this week.
I would assume Holy Week would take precedence with everything else going on in the background concerning the pope’s death. I think a lot of the usual funeral planning and other procedures would be in the works but would not go full speed ahead until after Easter.

ETA: It’s usually considered a great blessing for a priest to die during Holy Week or Easter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would assume Holy Week would take precedence with everything else going on in the background concerning the pope’s death. I think a lot of the usual funeral planning and other procedures would be in the works but would not go full speed ahead until after Easter.
That makes sense. I wonder if they could have the conclave in the background while still celebrating Holy Week, and just hold off on the white smoke until Easter Monday?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That makes sense. I wonder if they could have the conclave in the background while still celebrating Holy Week, and just hold off on the white smoke until Easter Monday?
I don’t know. I imagine the conclave would be after Easter. Although the cardinals would be flocking to Rome during Holy Week. JMO.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Most cardinals are locked in to their schedules for Holy Week. Nothing would be done until after the Octave of Easter.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Even for the death of a pope?
The papal Camerlengo, cardinal Kevin Ferrell, would make sure the liturgies continued through Holy Week. Then he would put out the call for the conclave. Happily he can't do much else except make sure the pope's will gets to the cardinals in conclave. I just can't see that anyone could expect the cardinals to drop everything in Holy Week.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The papal Camerlengo, cardinal Kevin Ferrell, would make sure the liturgies continued through Holy Week. Then he would put out the call for the conclave. Happily he can't do much else except make sure the pope's will gets to the cardinals in conclave. I just can't see that anyone could expect the cardinals to drop everything in Holy Week.
It's nice to properly understand the protocol. I wonder if through 266 popes there's ever been an instance of this happening. I'd have to crosscheck each pope's death with the date of Easter each year.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's nice to properly understand the protocol. I wonder if through 266 popes there's ever been an instance of this happening. I'd have to crosscheck each pope's death with the date of Easter each year.
If you do that let us know what you come up with.

Upvote 0