What would happen to the creation/evolution debate...

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
... if everyone was required to pass an introductory Biology (university-level Biology 101) course first?

My prediction: the debate mostly disappear for two reasons.

1) I suspect a lot of creationists wouldn't have the inclination to pass such a course. Most creationists in my experience little genuine interest in science.

2) Those who did pass would likely have a lot of misconceptions about basic biology and evolution cleared up in the first place. Given there is a correlation between understanding of evolution and acceptance, I suspect increased understanding would lead to a decrease in the numbers of creationists.

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What would happen to the creation/evolution debate
if everyone was required to pass an introductory Biology (university-level Biology 101) course first?

1) I suspect a lot of creationists wouldn't have the inclination to pass such a course. Most creationists in my experience little genuine interest in science.

You seem woefully ignorant of the advanced teaching degrees of the millions of Christians around the world who believe in creation, instead of evolution & the numbers are growing.

I took up upper levels of biology classes with a Bachelors in Wildlife Biology/Education & taught school in biology for awhile before moving onto counseling before I retired.

My convictions concerning "God the Father, Creator of the heavens & the earth', as the Creed goes, is stronger than ever.

But thanks for sharing your speculations.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
... if everyone was required to pass an introductory Biology (university-level Biology 101) course first?

The debate would evaporate
if people learned the truth AND loved and obeyed the TRUTH. (most people hate the truth, so this won't be seen until Jesus Returns)

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You seem woefully ignorant of the advanced teaching degrees of the millions of Christians around the world who believe in creation, instead of evolution & the numbers are growing.

Creationist beliefs are in decline not growing. I suspect education is a contributing factor since there are inverse correlations between educational attainment and beliefs in creationism coupled with trends in increased educational attainment in younger generations.

When you look at the stats, they don't paint a rosy picture for the future of creationism.

I took up upper levels of biology classes with a Bachelors in Wildlife Biology/Education & taught school in biology for awhile before moving onto counseling before I retired.

Naturally there would be exceptions. That's why I said mostly disappear as opposed to completely.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

My convictions concerning "God the Father, Creator of the heavens & the earth', as the Creed goes, is stronger than ever.

I don't think that's true. My impression is that creationism is on the decline. Increasing numbers of Christians who believe like you and I that God is author of our being are turning away from it.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that's true. My impression is that creationism is on the decline. Increasing numbers of Christians who believe like you and I that God is author of our being are turning away from it.

Per polling data, it's mostly older cohorts (60+) that believe in creationism. And not surprisingly said poster's age puts them in that cohort.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the official site of Gallup polls concerning JUST the USA, as of July 26, 2019, 40% believe in strictly creation (up from 38% in 2017) & 33% believe God God guided the evolutionary process & only 22% believe God had no involvement whatsoever. mmmm

78% vs 22% believe God is involved and active vs no god active. Even during the 37 years of the Gallup poll, the highest on creation was 47%, so over that length of time there has been a drop of only 7%. The growth of the 22% comes because those in this category have increasingly stated they have no religious identification at all.

But this is JUST the USA not the world. The biggest population growth in the world today is Hispanic and Islamic & both have a very high belief that God is the Creator & involved in the the order of the universe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
According to the official site of Gallup polls concerning JUST the USA, as of July 26, 2019, 40% believe in strictly creation (up from 38% in 2017) & 33% believe God God guided the evolutionary process & only 22% believe God had no involvement whatsoever. mmmm

78% vs 22% believe God is involved and active vs no god active. Even during the 37 years of the Gallup poll, the highest on creation was 47%, so over that length of time there has been a drop of only 7%. The growth of the 22% comes because those in this category have increasingly stated they have no religious identification at all.

But this is JUST the USA not the world. The biggest population growth in the world today is Hispanic and Islamic & both have a very high belief that God is the Creator & involved in the the order of the universe.
Yes, but neither group believes that a literal and inerrant interpretation of Genesis is required for Salvation so they are not, strictly speaking, creationists.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went to a private Christian university. We were taught evolution in biology class. It was not taught to us as something to be defeated or rejected, but simply as science. It is a bit befuddling to me, this debate between creation and evolution. I believe that God created all there is ex nihilo. I am convinced that something like the current theory of evolution is an accurate representation of how species came to be. I am convinced of this because I have looked at the theory and the evidence used to support it (at least I did years ago when studying such things).

So, I am a little lost in this debate. I consider myself a "creationist" but not in the sense that I deny evolution as some atheistic agenda. I realize that some atheists have used it to try and debunk the idea that God created, but to me that is simply a confusion of science and metaphysics. Finding the theory of evolution convincing has not adversely affected my faith. I know some will say it must have, but then again I know a categorical difference when I come across one. So, from my own experience, I would say education (including in biology) is really a wonderful thing. Maybe what is needed is a little more training in philosophy and nuance.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

2) Those who did pass would likely have a lot of misconceptions about basic biology and evolution cleared up in the first place. Given there is a correlation between understanding of evolution and acceptance, I suspect increased understanding would lead to a decrease in the numbers of creationists.
My prediction: If such a required course was still made-up of captive (graded) audiences, probably no change from what's happening today. However, if they weren't graded, and all evolutionary speculation had to be well-emphasized, a lot of instructors would probably retire or request another subject to teach.

Upvote 0

SLP

May 29, 2002
✟21,532.00
Faith
Atheist
You seem woefully ignorant of the advanced teaching degrees
What is "advanced teaching"?
of the millions of Christians around the world who believe in creation, instead of evolution & the numbers are growing.
Polling data to support that?
Then you must be an expert - weird, I've not seen you providing pro-creation evidence on this forum. Must have missed it..
Well, sure - to admit otherwise is seen as a failure via indoctrination.
Or, you could just read some of the threads here. Other than analogies, bible verses, out of context quotes, diversions, etc., I really think the OP is onto something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SLP

May 29, 2002
✟21,532.00
Faith
Atheist
My prediction: If such a required course was still made-up of captive (graded) audiences, probably no change from what's happening today. However, if they weren't graded, and all evolutionary speculation had to be well-emphasized, a lot of instructors would probably retire or request another subject to teach.
Well, you have no science background at all, so how would you know?
You never present evidence for creationism, and all of your posts and threads are just shallow witnessing.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I find this post insulting, insisting that creationists are against science and have little-to-no knowledge of a single field of study. There are Christian biologist, I hate to break that to you. There are Christian archaeologists too. We are discredited because we disagree with the modern-day majority view, and so whatever we say isn't considered "real" science, so we aren't heard loud enough and the work we do isn't appreciated by any.

Your idea that all creationist should take certain classes, leaning toward another bias, should clear up our "misunderstandings" and turn us against what we believe. How about studying from our end? Read up on the best our leading men in the field of biology. Let's see who really has the closed mind.

Upvote 0

SLP

May 29, 2002
✟21,532.00
Faith
Atheist
I find this post insulting, insisting that creationists are against science and have little-to-no knowledge of a single field of study.
Try reading the posts on this forum.
There are Christian biologist, I hate to break that to you. There are Christian archaeologists too. We are discredited because we disagree with the modern-day majority view, and so whatever we say isn't considered "real" science, so we aren't heard loud enough and the work we do isn't appreciated by any.
Most Christians accept evolution at some level. The educated ones, for the most part. The ones that don't are generally the fanatics.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0