What Working From Home Hath Wrought

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who's your favorite?

Do you mean my favorite version of Henry V? I'd have to say Branagh is unparalleled at adapting Shakespeare (though Mel Gibson does very well with Hamlet ... OK, now I'm on a digression. It's interesting how testosterone fueled action heroes like Gibson & Stallone are actually great artists. It's too bad they got sidetracked. Rocky is an incredible movie.)

Anyway, back on track, I'd say Branagh for Shakespeare, but I think Hiddleston is actually the actor with more range and depth.

Most read for enjoyment. I do it for mastery to improve my writing.

I do both. I've got a little switch in my head that I use to choose "enjoyment", where I just lean back and let the words flow, or "study" where I grind on every word.

So you're a writer. Now you have to share something.

I don't intellectualize my spirituality. I'm hands-on.

Again, I do both. I'm very analytical by nature, but I've learned to relax and enjoy. Still, I could intellectualize how you tie your shoes.

I like to bring the topic down to earth and make it relatable.

Then Lutheranism is for you. I constantly tell people it's the "earthy" denomination.

That's why I read self-help books instead. They cut to the chase and are less emotional. Too much of that feels like a tidal wave. Too much of the other and I wonder if we're talking to the same Person.

Yes, that can be a problem. I don't like theological discussions that begin, "I think God is ..." It doesn't matter what we think God is. How about we let God tell us who he is. The same way it doesn't matter who I think you are. That's for you to decide - what you share and what you don't. That's why I differentiate theology (what God reveals to us) from philosophy, where we puzzle over the nature of things.

To be honest, I'm not keen on self-help books. I've seen it turn too many people inward when they should be turning outward. It's for that very reason I'm reading Grace Upon Grace by John Kleinig. But I'll try to be careful and not throw all self-help in the same basket.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you mean my favorite version of Henry V? I'd have to say Branagh is unparalleled at adapting Shakespeare (though Mel Gibson does very well with Hamlet ...

That was my vote. Though I don’t remember if I’ve seen it. But I like his work and he fits the role well.

OK, now I'm on a digression. It's interesting how testosterone fueled action heroes like Gibson & Stallone are actually great artists. It's too bad they got sidetracked. Rocky is an incredible movie.)

They bring passion to the project. Deniro did the same. I don’t watch movies too much but I enjoyed John Wick! I’ve liked Ian McShane since Pillars of the Earth. He’s plays shrewd characters who are diabolical with an air of poshness. That’s a winning combo.

So you're a writer. Now you have to share something.

I’m not a writer in the sense of books. I’m a digital entrepreneur. In my world, books are used to build authority and establish yourself on the speaking circuit.

Still, I could intellectualize how you tie your shoes.

I’ll pray for you. :crosseo:

Then Lutheranism is for you. I constantly tell people it's the "earthy" denomination.

Nope. I don’t have an affinity for any denomination.

To be honest, I'm not keen on self-help books. I've seen it turn too many people inward when they should be turning outward.

I’m a get stuff done problem-solver. I want a remedy. Not a personal story. But given my mindset, it probably annoys me more than most. I don’t like talking things to death for the sake of discussion.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't wear socks anymore.

Oh, and I have a balloon next to me that I play with from time to time.
I've been making mean faces at my boss, which I can get away with since he lives across town.

Very much agree with you on Don Quixote and Candide. And hey since you like Russian existentialist literature you might like this joke:

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have two random thoughts about this virus for which I feel guilty and need to ask forgiveness. The thread-relevant one is:
  1. I am planning to retire in January. With a little cooperation from this virus, I may never have to wear long pants, socks, or a tie again (except maybe Sundays). Forgive me.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been making mean faces at my boss, which I can get away with since he lives across town.

It does make it easier to roll your eyes at what people say, and then reply in a professional tone.

And hey since you like Russian existentialist literature you might like this joke:

Do you mean the names, the anguished style, or how long it takes him to get to his point? I don't like Norm MacDonald, but I've seen this before and I'll admit it made me laugh. The joke works better as part of a conversation than it does as standup.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have two random thoughts about this virus for which I feel guilty and need to ask forgiveness. The thread-relevant one is:
  1. I am planning to retire in January. With a little cooperation from this virus, I may never have to wear long pants, socks, or a tie again (except maybe Sundays). Forgive me.

I hear ya. I'm at the end of my career as well. For me it was more the realization of the sad possibility that I might retire from home and never see the people I respected at work again.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I hear ya. I'm at the end of my career as well. For me it was more the realization of the sad possibility that I might retire from home and never see the people I respected at work again.

I get it. There is sadness that I might not be able to give a few hugs and say thank you and goodbye in person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't like Norm MacDonald, but I've seen this before and I'll admit it made me laugh.
Of course you don't like Norm Macdonald. The greatest of the great artists are never appreciated until after they're dead a couple hundred years.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of Cast Away, that's the other thing I hate about lockdown - having to perform root canals on yourself. The lighting in my bathroom isn't even that good. :sigh:

Upvote 0