Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh, and I have a balloon next to me that I play with from time to time.
When I worked in an office I also had a balloon next to me, but my boss told me it was disrespectful to talk of my colleague that way.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I sleep with planners beside me. Sometimes a notepad and clipboard tag along.

I won't ask you to explain. I'll just assume my interpretation is correct ... and my interpretation is very funny.

Another interesting quirk of working at home. I do all my meetings on the phone now, and if my dog happens to see a squirrel in the middle of the meeting, we can't hear each other over her howling.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I won't ask you to explain. I'll just assume my interpretation is correct ... and my interpretation is very funny.

I have three planners beside me: yearly, quarterly, and budget. I like writing from bed. Edith Wharton did the same. That really inspired me. :p

Another interesting quirk of working at home. I do all my meetings on the phone now, and if my dog happens to see a squirrel in the middle of the meeting, we can't hear each other over her howling.

LOL. I have everything in Zoom. I hate the ones that require me to dress. Listening in my jammies is the bees knees.

~Bella

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have three planners beside me: yearly, quarterly, and budget. I like writing from bed. Edith Wharton did the same. That really inspired me.

Daniel Day Lewis is one of my favorite actors, and I had a crush on Michelle Pfieffer for awhile after seeing Ladyhawke (now I have a crush on my wife ... anyway ...). As a result, I love the movie The Age of Innocence. The social commentary is outstanding.

I've always wanted to read the book, but I have too many things on my list to read.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Daniel Day Lewis is one of my favorite actors, and I had a crush on Michelle Pfieffer for awhile after seeing Ladyhawke (now I have a crush on my wife ... anyway ...). As a result, I love the movie The Age of Innocence. The social commentary is outstanding.

I've always wanted to read the book, but I have too many things on my list to read.

The book is really good. I'm working through Boxall's classic reading challenge. If you enjoy them it may inspire you.

~Bella

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The book is really good. I'm working through Boxall's classic reading challenge. If you enjoy them it may inspire you.

Or intimidate me.

Of the 40 books listed on the first page, I counted 8 I've already read. And there are 33 pages of books. It's quite an eclectic collection. I've read Don Quixote, and it ranks as one of my top 10 favorite books of all time. I've also read Candide, and it ranks as one of my 10 most despised books of all time.

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Or intimidate me.

Of the 40 books listed on the first page, I counted 8 I've already read. And there are 33 pages of books. It's quite an eclectic collection. I've read Don Quixote, and it ranks as one of my top 10 favorite books of all time. I've also read Candide, and it ranks as one of my 10 most despised books of all time.

I started a few years ago. I have many favorites. But I didn't enjoy Notes from the Underground. It was too morbid. Candide was a hoot! But I wasn't a fan of Tom Jones.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I stopped wearing socks.

Some of my colleagues have implied they're not even wearing pants anymore. Oh, the humanity!

I look very professional for ZOOM meetings...but only from the waist up.

Uh oh. It looks like maybe someone here has joined the pantless crowd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I started a few years ago. I have many favorites. But I didn't enjoy Notes from the Underground. It was too morbid. Candide was a hoot! But I wasn't a fan of Tom Jones.

If this continues, we may no longer be on speaking terms. I'm a huge Dostoyevsky fan. He has a few weak spots. I didn't think The Brothers Karamozov was as great as people say, but Crime and Punishment is a masterpiece, and I very much enjoyed Notes from Underground.

If you're looking for comedic books, I would recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's probably not on the classics list, but I think it's great.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if you have just killed me or assured that I shall live (must live) till 110+. I was working through a couple of 100 Best Books lists (BBC poll; Abe Books) and 273 detailed in a children's encyclopedia I got for my 12th birthday more than half a century ago and returned to three years back. Now you've added 1001! And I've checked and I've only read 85 of them.

I'm in shock and I was going finish off the Great Gatsby and Sunset Song this evening, but now I feel I need to build an Excel spreadsheet to enter word counts for each list and figure out which reading speed I need, coupled with how many hours a day for a range of remaining years, in order to complete them all. Aggh!

• Haha
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If this continues, we may no longer be on speaking terms. I'm a huge Dostoyevsky fan. He has a few weak spots. I didn't think The Brothers Karamozov was as great as people say, but Crime and Punishment is a masterpiece, and I very much enjoyed Notes from Underground.

Come now, I’ve covered my share of Russian’s including Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, Pushkin, Gogol and Lermontov to name a few. I enjoyed Crime and Punishment and agree The Brothers Karamozov wasn’t on par with the other.

Heck, I didn’t enjoy Swann’s Way in the early pages. I wanted to throttle the kid! But Proust won me over. The same is true for Dostoyevsky. I started with The Idiot.

If you're looking for comedic books, I would recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's probably not on the classics list, but I think it's great.

I think it’s on the list. I’ve knocked out the longer titles and authors with multiple selections. Dickens and Trollope are my favorites. I liked Austen and Bronte already. Elliot, Hardy, and Samuel Johnson were pleasant surprises. Kafka and Maugham go deep and Murakami is delightful.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure if you have just killed me or assured that I shall live (must live) till 110+.

I was trying to help! :p

Now you've added 1001! And I've checked and I've only read 85 of them.

Actually, if you combine all the additions in different version its 1,316. But what’s 300! LOL

I'm in shock and I was going finish off the Great Gatsby and Sunset Song this evening, but now I feel I need to build an Excel spreadsheet to enter word counts for each list and figure out which reading speed I need, coupled with how many hours a day for a range of remaining years, in order to complete them all. Aggh!

The old app contained that information but the creator has a spreadsheet too. :)

I started from scratch and read a lot the first two years. It hasn’t been that long. I’m at 181. I shared my stats on this post (#27). I started in 2016.

~Bella

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Come now, I’ve covered my share of Russian’s including Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, Pushkin, Gogol and Lermontov to name a few. I enjoyed Crime and Punishment and agree The Brothers Karamozov wasn’t on par with the other.

Heck, I didn’t enjoy Swann’s Way in the early pages. I wanted to throttle the kid! But Proust won me over. The same is true for Dostoyevsky. I started with The Idiot.

I think it’s on the list. I’ve knocked out the longer titles and authors with multiple selections. Dickens and Trollope are my favorites. I liked Austen and Bronte already. Elliot, Hardy, and Samuel Johnson were pleasant surprises. Kafka and Maugham go deep and Murakami is delightful.

Now you're bringing out my competitive streak. I enjoyed The Idiot. I've read Tolstoy (loved The Death of Ivan Illych, was a little perplexed by War and Peace). I've not read the others but I have read Solzhenitsyn and one of Chekov's plays.

So there's something for you. Are you sticking to novels, or are you also reading short stories, plays, and poetry? For plays it has to be Shakespeare. And for poetry, Robert Burns.

I read all of Austen's works to my wife (many husband bonus points for that, and it makes The Jane Austen Book Club a riot to watch). I've not read Bronte or Hardy. Elliot and Johnson: yes. I liked Elliot, but wasn't a fan of Johnson - a little dry for me.

What about the great works of science? The Principia is a real treat. Or Aristotle.

I've also read a lot of restaurant menus and road signs.

• Haha
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now you're bringing out my competitive streak. I enjoyed The Idiot. I've read Tolstoy (loved was a little perplexed by War and Peace). I've not read the others but I have read Solzhenitsyn and one of Chekov's plays.

I’m stimulating your inner bibliophile. :D

I enjoyed The Death of Ivan Illych. War and Peace was epic but Les Miserables had me in tears at the end. I’ve read a little Chekov and Shakespeare too. The challenge focuses on novels. But I’m doing Harold Bloom’s simultaneously. It covers more mediums.

So there's something for you. Are you sticking to novels, or are you also reading short stories, plays, and poetry? For plays it has to be Shakespeare. And for poetry, Robert Burns.

I read 200 books per year. That’s my average. My selections are primarily non-fiction and classics. I make room for extras like cozy mysteries (I’m nearly done with Christie’s works) and popular books (I’m reading the Crazy Rich Asians and Game of Thrones series now).

I read Christian Amish fiction in the winter and go beyond the challenge if the title is in a series (e.g., Barchester Chronicles and Palliser). I covered The Forsyte Saga but there are other titles in the chronicles I want to finish.

On the non-fiction end, that includes: business, finance, self-help, and religion. I enjoy philosophy, psychology, history and biographies. I cover personal subjects like health, fitness, fashion, beauty, food, travel, crafts, and decorating. I’m very diverse. If I’m ahead in my yearly challenge I expand my options.

I read all of Austen's works to my wife (many husband bonus points for that, and it makes The Jane Austen Book Club a riot to watch). I've not read Bronte or Hardy. Elliot and Johnson: yes. I liked Elliot, but wasn't a fan of Johnson - a little dry for me.

That’s impeccable! As a decided Janeite with amusing similarities to Lizzy, I appreciate the gesture. Well done! Needless to say, I’ve been looking for Mr. Darcy for awhile! I think I’ve found him. :p

The thing about Bronte is this. All of Charlotte’s books relate to her desire to be loved. Each novel is her story in some way. When she married she stopped writing for a time. But her passion is hard to miss. Start with Jane Eyre.

My first Eliot was Silas Marner. I enjoyed The Mill on the Floss and Adam Bede. But I believe Daniel Deronda and Middlemarch were her best pieces. Do you like Woolf?

What about the great works of science? The Principia is a real treat. Or Aristotle.

I have a subscription to The Great Courses Plus. My TBR list is pretty big. I’ve wanted to cover the Stoics, Epicurus, and Aesthetics. I pick topics according to interest or influence.

I've also read a lot of restaurant menus and road signs.

I discovered a wonderful farmer through restaurant menus. They kept mentioning his meat! I looked him up and order bulk beef and pork. I don’t read road signs but I like listening to audio books while I’m doing chores or cooking.

I’m definitely a renaissance woman. My thirst for learning never leaves. :)

~Bella

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m stimulating your inner bibliophile.

Do you always put the best spin on things? Or do you think it's a feminine trait? I try to avoid stereotypes, but I can't help my experiences. I grew up with 2 sisters and they, along with my mother, hate how competitive I and my father are. My wife also hates it, but my 2 boys are just as competitive. So, in my family competitiveness manifests as a gender thing.

Hopefully that doesn't put you off. I'm just curious about human behavior in all its different forms.

I enjoyed The Death of Ivan Illych. War and Peace was epic but Les Miserables had me in tears at the end. I’ve read a little Chekov and Shakespeare too. The challenge focuses on novels. But I’m doing Harold Bloom’s simultaneously. It covers more mediums.

Impressive. You put me to shame. I love Shakespeare's histories the most, especially Macbeth and Henry V. I own 3 different versions of the movie, and love to compare how the different performances interpret the story: Robert Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hiddleston. I started that because I took a Shakespeare class and for each play we read, we also attended a live performance. It was my favorite lit class. I love Shakespeare's histories because I love history itself.

I read 200 books per year.

I'm not even close to that. You win.

I’m definitely a renaissance woman. My thirst for learning never leaves.

Me too. A kindred spirit. I was listening to a Lutheran pastor recently who made a comment that, for all its vices, the Internet is great for bringing together people with obscure interests who would otherwise have to go it alone.

I make room for extras like cozy mysteries (I’m nearly done with Christie’s works) and popular books (I’m reading the Crazy Rich Asians and Game of Thrones series now).

As far as Christie goes, I prefer Hercule Poirot over Miss Marple. But Game of Thrones? Really. You have to tell me what you think of the writing. I thought it was awful. I only picked up the book because I was curious why it was so popular, and I couldn't get past the first few paragraphs. Atrocious. I guess that poison's the well, but you still have to tell me what you think of the quality.

That’s impeccable! As a decided Janeite with amusing similarities to Lizzy, I appreciate the gesture. Well done! Needless to say, I’ve been looking for Mr. Darcy for awhile! I think I’ve found him. :p

Very kind of you. Since I get to tell my own story, I get to put the best spin on it, but the truth is very different.

The thing about Bronte is this. All of Charlotte’s books relate to her desire to be loved. Each novel is her story in some way. When she married she stopped writing for a time. But her passion is hard to miss. Start with Jane Eyre.

I actually did start Jane Eyre once, but never finished. I was in my teens and reading through my grandfather's library. I think I was too young for it, and then never went back. In college one of my girlfriends loved Anna Karenina, so I tried to read it, but stopped after about 100 pages. I then concluded I hated Tolstoy. It was years later that I reluctantly read Ivan Illych and was surprised by how much I liked it.

First impressions can be a problem. Or maybe it's the feminine voice, and it took some maturity before I could appreciate it. I remember once someone told me my own writing has a strong masculine voice. That intrigued me, so I interrogated them regarding what about my writing sounded masculine, and I then worked very hard at developing the right voice for my female characters. However, I don't think it was until we covered the idea of "agency" in my history classes that I realized my female characters often lacked agency. In other words, I was being a bit of a chauvinist. Some of the actresses I've worked with recently tell me they like my female characters, so hopefully that means I'm doing better.

My first Eliot was Silas Marner. I enjoyed The Mill on the Floss and Adam Bede. But I believe Daniel Deronda and Middlemarch were her best pieces. Do you like Woolf?

I really liked Silas Marner. I've not read Woolf.

On the non-fiction end, that includes: business, finance, self-help, and religion. I enjoy philosophy, psychology, history and biographies. I cover personal subjects like health, fitness, fashion, beauty, food, travel, crafts, and decorating. I’m very diverse. If I’m ahead in my yearly challenge I expand my options.

And we finally come to it. Shouldn't all threads at CF gravitate to theology? I love to people watch. I love to tell stories. The spiderweb of natural conversation fascinates me.

My own theological search started when I found Mere Christianity, but then I went down the rabbit hole and got into the obscure stuff. Augustine was great, as were Luther's works. I imagine the Christian world view implanted by my father had an effect, because people like Nietzsche and Spinoza seem oddly confused.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you always put the best spin on things?

My natural bend is positive. But I replied that way for a different reason. Men are competitive but most have little interest competing against women unless they're put in a position where it's necessary or she eggs him on. Telling you I'm stimulating your inner bibliophile is complimentary—it acknowledges your prowess—while admitting my own nonthreateningly. :cool:

Was it spin? Not really. Passion always evokes a measure of competitiveness. I can stoke it without making the person feel threatened or humiliated. That's an art. It takes a while to master.

I grew up with 2 sisters and they, along with my mother, hate how competitive I and my father are. My wife also hates it, but my 2 boys are just as competitive. So, in my family competitiveness manifests as a gender thing.

I'm very competitive. It usually rears its head on the business front, board games, and a round of golf. My biggest competition is the mark God set. Stretching myself to reach His barometer fuels that part of me. One-upmanship isn't my shtick. But I'm not opposed to a little swagger within myself or another if its genuine. Meaning, there's a reason to have it.

Impressive. You put me to shame. I love Shakespeare's histories the most, especially Macbeth and Henry V. I own 3 different versions of the movie, and love to compare how the different performances interpret the story: Robert Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hiddleston. I started that because I took a Shakespeare class and for each play we read, we also attended a live performance. It was my favorite lit class. I love Shakespeare's histories because I love history itself.

Not at all. Who's your favorite?

I'm not even close to that. You win.

Most read for enjoyment. I do it for mastery to improve my writing. It began as a personal challenge. I told myself if I wanted to be a writer I needed to read more. So I developed an apprenticeship with 4 authors and studied their work. The goal was deepening my understanding of the craft through their pieces and well-known classics. The first year I covered 300 titles. Four years in I've read nearly 900. My consumption yields intellectual and monetary spoils. Its a win/win on both ends.

Me too. A kindred spirit. I was listening to a Lutheran pastor recently who made a comment that, for all its vices, the Internet is great for bringing together people with obscure interests who would otherwise have to go it alone.

That's true. :)

As far as Christie goes, I prefer Hercule Poirot over Miss Marple. But Game of Thrones? Really. You have to tell me what you think of the writing. I thought it was awful. I only picked up the book because I was curious why it was so popular, and I couldn't get past the first few paragraphs. Atrocious. I guess that poison's the well, but you still have to tell me what you think of the quality.

I love Poirot but Miss Marple has a few good stories too. Nemesis was good. As for Game of Thrones, I didn't watch the series when it aired. I saw this it month and enjoyed the show. I wasn't crazy about the ending. But I liked Pillars of the Earth and I've read a lot of Tolkien. And he's wordy!

I actually did start Jane Eyre once, but never finished. I was in my teens and reading through my grandfather's library. I think I was too young for it, and then never went back. In college one of my girlfriends loved Anna Karenina, so I tried to read it, but stopped after about 100 pages. I then concluded I hated Tolstoy. It was years later that I reluctantly read Ivan Illych and was surprised by how much I liked it.

I read two biographies on Bronte after I finished her canon. I did the same for Austen. The added insight helped me see their work through different lenses. Longing is a theme in Bronte's books. You appreciate it with a little mileage and life experience. Once you've suffered the same. Anna Karenina was okay. But I prefer other pieces by him.

However, I don't think it was until we covered the idea of "agency" in my history classes that I realized my female characters often lacked agency. In other words, I was being a bit of a chauvinist. Some of the actresses I've worked with recently tell me they like my female characters, so hopefully that means I'm doing better.

That's positive feedback. Take it and run with it. ;)

I encountered the same while reading Woolf. I picked up a copy of A Room of One's Own. The gravity of what she said really struck a chord. The possession of an income was the difference between published work and nothing at all. The absence of distractions enabled her to write when others couldn't. That's deep. Our workday is shorter now. But back then it wasn't. Add in marriage and children and the day is gone.

My own theological search started when I found Mere Christianity, but then I went down the rabbit hole and got into the obscure stuff. Augustine was great, as were Luther's works. I imagine the Christian world view implanted by my father had an effect, because people like Nietzsche and Spinoza seem oddly confused.

I enjoyed The Screwtape Letters. There's lots of spiritual nuggets in the book. Believe it or not, I'm not a student of theology. I don't intellectualize my spirituality. I'm hands-on. While I read Christian books on certain subjects, I like to bring the topic down to earth and make it relatable. That's why I read self-help books instead. They cut to the chase and are less emotional. Too much of that feels like a tidal wave. Too much of the other and I wonder if we're talking to the same Person.

Derek Prince is my favorite for those reasons. He was well educated but his approach was simple. I've learned more from him than most. He was plugged in. That's my aim.

~Bella

Upvote 0