What words are okay?

Yeah I guess you were right about MP3's being as a kind of theft...but how many people out there make copys of cassettes that they buy?  Now days you make a copy for a friend or download a song its considered stealing...which in a way it is!

But that just goes to show that Christians are not perfect...at all!... :( ...but thats what is kind of fun about being a Christian...God works out ALL the things...key word here being ALL things about you that he doesn't like or is not pleasant to his eyes...some how some way.

Well, Peace Out! :cool:

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok. Music in and of itself is not bad. Just because it as a beat to it doesn't make it bad (read: pop, rock, etc). There is al imit to what I call music though, like... well like Metallica or some weird screechy band like that, I deny that into the music category ;)

Instrumental music? It can definitely be used to glorify God. David played harp you know. Even soothed Saul with it. Wasn't that glorifying to God? ;)

I think a very few secular songs are just fine... for example, Enya. I haven't found anything bad in her music, and I love the music itself, and her voice/style. It's not Christian though. I listen to it just because I love music, and I love that style of music also.. it's very close to classical :)

And most of classical music is instrumental, it HAS no words. So.. um .... it's not Chrisitan, it's not secular, it's ... music!

As to rap and stuff, I think the majority of rap songs have .... odd things in them :p And I don't really consider rap very musical anyways... hehe

Bottom line is, what makes music Christian or non are the words. But, such is the case in non-vocal music, not all nonchristian music is bad, and much of it can be used to glorify God....

I would be REALLY upset if you called Bach, who even wrote "to the glory of God" on top of his music, an evil writer because he didn't have Christian words in all of his songs ;)

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by AtheistArchon
- Heheh... if you're listening to rap, you have more problems than just the "cuss words".  ;)

- As for Christian music, I don't see how a couple of them can be avoided.  The "D" word (which is all over the bible, but banned here on the forums... interesting) for example.  Let's not forget that the bible is a pretty bloody and tawdry book.

- What an incredible double standard.  :)

- Are you trying to tell me that the Backstreet Boys are in league with Satan??  I'd almost believe you actually.

- Also, just as an aside... copying and distributing licensed music via MP3 is theft.  :)  Although, it's not specifically mentioned in the bible, so perhaps you might be able to fit it into your moral scheme.

I thought the backstreet boys were evil while I was an atheist.  They make girls think that there are these perfect guys out there that don't actually exist.  Seriously though, there is nothing good about boy bands.

As for my "double standard", I don't see it.  I confess that I do some things for entertainment purposes (movies and video games) that are probably a waste of my time, but bad music is especially grievous to the Spirit of God.  It colours your thoughts (especially if you don't resist it).  Why do you think the music acompanying a movie changes throughout?

Most songs (according to music theory books I've seen) are love songs.  Most of these love songs make the object (person) of the subjects love out to be the most important thing... no mention of God here.  I'm not telling you (AA) to go burn your CDs.  You're an atheist.  But Christian's who listen to Eminem should really stop and ask themselves what is wrong in their house...

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by paulewog
Ok. Music in and of itself is not bad. Just because it as a beat to it doesn't make it bad (read: pop, rock, etc). There is al imit to what I call music though, like... well like Metallica or some weird screechy band like that, I deny that into the music category ;)

Instrumental music? It can definitely be used to glorify God. David played harp you know. Even soothed Saul with it. Wasn't that glorifying to God? ;)

I think a very few secular songs are just fine... for example, Enya. I haven't found anything bad in her music, and I love the music itself, and her voice/style. It's not Christian though. I listen to it just because I love music, and I love that style of music also.. it's very close to classical :)

And most of classical music is instrumental, it HAS no words. So.. um .... it's not Chrisitan, it's not secular, it's ... music!

As to rap and stuff, I think the majority of rap songs have .... odd things in them :p And I don't really consider rap very musical anyways... hehe

Bottom line is, what makes music Christian or non are the words. But, such is the case in non-vocal music, not all nonchristian music is bad, and much of it can be used to glorify God....

I would be REALLY upset if you called Bach, who even wrote "to the glory of God" on top of his music, an evil writer because he didn't have Christian words in all of his songs ;)

I'll assume you're joking about Metallica (of course, that didn't stop me from tossing all 9 of my prized Metallica albums).

I know instrumental music is fine, but is all instrumental music automatically fine just because it has no words in it to offend God?

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by paulewog

Perhaps I will do a post on this. But if you get back to the OT you will find that David played far more than a Harp. David had a 4,000 member orchestra for which he not only wrote the music but also made all the instruments.

Music eveil? LOL Hardly. MAN make evil music, just has he has evil thoughts and performs evil deeds. Music is a gift from God as as ith talent to make the instruments, play them and write the music. Musis is GOOD and a Blessing!

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by unworthyone
Why is "DANG" not a cuss?

Why is any word a cuss?

Honestly, I think its just plain stupid that we have to make rules about WORDS.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

WORDS!

(oops did I just cuss? I said DANG!)

You know the Bible does condemn "abusive speech" (generally translated as curse words).  And you just have to know in your heart that no one expects to hear Christian's curse.  Whether it's in the Bible or not, we hurt the image of Christ that people perceive in us when we do this.  Paul said that if you don't act out of faith, then you are sinning (i.e. if an act is morally neutral, such as eating pork, but you're unsure of whether it's a sin or not, then it is a sin for you).  You might disagree with my interpretation... but do you really want to fight for your right to curse?

I don't even think that Christian's should use substitute words like "gosh".  The spirit of the transgression is still present when we do this.

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Gerry
Perhaps I will do a post on this. But if you get back to the OT you will find that David played far more than a Harp. David had a 4,000 member orchestra for which he not only wrote the music but also made all the instruments.

Music eveil? LOL Hardly. MAN make evil music, just has he has evil thoughts and performs evil deeds. Music is a gift from God as as ith talent to make the instruments, play them and write the music. Musis is GOOD and a Blessing!

Absolutely.  The question here is what music is good and what music is bad.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by seesaw
I havn't heard any pop song that has alot of bad words in it. Well if it's cause the songs (has very unChristian themes) well almost everything in the world or on t.v or radio is bad. Just cause it doesn't meet Christian standards doens't mean its bad.

Yes it does to a CHRISTIAN. That is what CHRISTIAN Standards are about!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

unworthyone

Yes this is me! Like my glasses?
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟9,398.00
Originally posted by Rize
You might disagree with my interpretation... but do you really want to fight for your right to curse?

No I want to fight for my right to express myself. I don't think there is such things as a "cuss". There are those words that "society" has made a cuss, but this same "society" has made nuclear weapons.

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian

No I want to fight for my right to express myself. I don't think there is such things as a "cuss". There are those words that "society" has made a cuss, but this same "society" has made nuclear weapons. [/B]

CW yes they are.  In fact, the Bible says that if your Christian brother believes that something (something neutral like various foods or cursing as you perceive it) is a sin, then you are obligated out of love to abstain from that as well when you're in their precense.

Romans 14:13-15

Check the verse (use BibleGateway.com for quick verse checking).  If you are around even one Christian who thinks it's wrong to curse, then it's wrong for you to curse in their precense.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Rize has convinced me. I'm not going to listen to music anymore at all unless it is hymns. I will even mute anything that contains music. :)

EDIT: I now believe that instrumental music and music that doesn't contain profanity or sexuality is OK.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

unworthyone

Yes this is me! Like my glasses?
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟9,398.00
Originally posted by Rize
CW yes they are.  In fact, the Bible says that if your Christian brother believes that something (something neutral like various foods or cursing as you perceive it) is a sin, then you are obligated out of love to abstain from that as well when you're in their precense.

Am I required to ask if words are offensive such as "dang"? Do you not see the ridiculousness of that?

Should I bring a notepad of supposed cuss words and ask every person I meet to read over them and tell me which ones they don't want to hear?

Cuss is a bad word and I find it offensive because it makes me think of all the REALLY bad words... Geez this dumb. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No it isn't dumb. If God really lives within you, as a Christian, you should be able to know what is good or not to say. As for me, I personally request a "portion" of cake or of pie, because "piece" is a bad word as far as I know. (May God forgive me for typing the word, I just needed it for example) Also I try to say "parcel" instead of "package" because that word is bad too (May God forgive me again and please may He not strike me dead)

I also say "agh" too much when I type, or "Ahh." those are bad too probably so I try not to do that so much anymore.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Susan
As for me, I personally request a "portion" of cake or of pie, because "piece" is a bad word as far as I know. (May God forgive me for typing the word, I just needed it for example) Also I try to say "parcel" instead of "package" because that word is bad too (May God forgive me again and please may He not strike me dead)

I also say "agh" too much when I type, or "Ahh." those are bad too probably so I try not to do that so much anymore.

Uh.....where did you hear that the words, piece, package, agh, and ahh are bad?  I honestly have never ever heard this before.

A word like piece could its own bad connotation (guns are referred to as a "piece" from what I've heard places) but we (as humans, Christian or not) should know the difference between a piece of cake and a piece meaning the slang for a gun.  I should hope.  :)

What's really strange about this whole issue is that each Christian has their own idea of what music is bad/good...regardless of the word/theme issues.  For example, I think that a song is bad because of the language in it and the theme sung about.  But my sister, who is also a Christian likes the same song...doesn't agree with the language/theme but still thinks the song is good.  So who's right?  I guess that's the question that is trying to be answered.

What words are okay?  I guess it's a personal conviction issue.  How do you feel after saying a particular word?  Do you feel good about it, or do you feel guilty for saying whatever it is that you said?  If you feel guilty, then you probably stumbled upon a word that was better left unsaid.

I'm going to think on this subject a bit more....but I just wanted to say what I said here for now.  :)

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Am I required to ask if words are offensive such as "dang"? Do you not see the ridiculousness of that?

Should I bring a notepad of supposed cuss words and ask every person I meet to read over them and tell me which ones they don't want to hear?

Cuss is a bad word and I find it offensive because it makes me think of all the REALLY bad words... Geez this dumb. :rolleyes:

No you should assume they are.

Christianity isn't about what you can get away with.

Let Christ change you.

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Susan
No it isn't dumb. If God really lives within you, as a Christian, you should be able to know what is good or not to say. As for me, I personally request a "portion" of cake or of pie, because "piece" is a bad word as far as I know. (May God forgive me for typing the word, I just needed it for example) Also I try to say "parcel" instead of "package" because that word is bad too (May God forgive me again and please may He not strike me dead)

Hope that helps :)

[sorry, I read to quickly.]

Whether words are nuetral or not, the popular opinion of certain words makes them quite bad and we're obligated not to use them simply because of that.

Upvote 0