What words are okay?

unworthyone

Yes this is me! Like my glasses?
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟9,398.00
I started this thread on another forum and its brought some interesting replies....

I've been trying to get together a mix cd and I'm running into a problem. Three of my track favorites have supposed "cuss" words to some people in it.

What do you guys think and how do you determine what would be appropriate material for a Christian to place on a CD?

Thanks for your input.

your friendly local dj

Note: Removed a portion of your post for mentioning the cuss words as an illustration of bad language. This is not acceptable as there are members as young as 10 years old that frequent the forums. Please do not post any words that are representative of bad language. Thank you.

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by unworthyone
I started this thread on another forum and its brought some interesting replies....

I've been trying to get together a mix cd and I'm running into a problem. Three of my track favorites have supposed "cuss" words to some people in it.

What do you guys think and how do you determine what would be appropriate material for a Christian to place on a CD?

Thanks for your input.

your friendly local dj

Note: Removed a portion of your post for mentioning the cuss words as an illustration of bad language. This is not acceptable as there are members as young as 10 years old that frequent the forums. Please do not post any words that are representative of bad language. Thank you.

Christian's should listen to Christian music.  That is, music that gives glory to God.  A Christian theme should clearly come through the bands vocals.  A Spiritual Christian should avoid secular music at all costs.

Don't believe me?  Pray about it.

I'm undecided about instrumental music (currently listening to a lot of instrumental music).

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Rize
Christian's should listen to Christian music.  That is, music that gives glory to God in some way or another.  Secular music should be avoided at all costs.

I'm undecided about instrumental music (currently listening to a lot of instrumental music).

Thats bull, I have alot of christian friends that listen to some rap, and pop.

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by seesaw
Thats bull, I have alot of christian friends that listen to some rap, and pop.

That doesn't mean they're right in doing so.  Most secular music has very unChristian themes to them that can be uncovered with a minimum of listening (especially your average rap or pop song).

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I havn't heard any pop song that has alot of bad words in it. Well if it's cause the songs (has very unChristian themes) well almost everything in the world or on t.v or radio is bad. Just cause it doesn't meet Christian standards doens't mean its bad.

Upvote 0
What is up to all?... :D...well I have a little something to say on this issue from experience.  I used to listen to hardcore rap all the time...from Snoop Dogg...2Pac...Jay-Z...Ca$h Money...Biggie...Too $hort...Dr. Dre...Eminem...Limp Bizkit...Staind...man I used to listen to 'em all.  And if it was hott and new and just came out...you better believe that I had it burned to a CD blaring in my player...for sure!

Still listening to all of this type of music as a saved Christian of about 5 months or so...when I got saved after awhile I cut my music down drastically...saying well I'll stop listening to the real bad ones like Snoop...Pac...Dre...and Eminem.  And that if it had just one or two little bad words in it that I'll listen to it.

Doing all this by God wills...definitely not by choice! I mean this was music that I had grew up listening to and all my friends listened to it too!  But little by little...slowly but surely...God worked it all out of my life.  One day God just told me and led me to getting rid of them all.  I was like what?...no way!...I can't do this God!...this is my music man!...so I prayed about it and for awhile and then he led me to chuck about 200 or so fresh CD's in the trash...I prayed and asked him if I could sell them for $3-$5 a pop at the local CD place in town...but then he sorta let me know that I would just be polluting other people's minds.

Man I tell you what...I could not believe that I was able to do that!...all of them in the trash.  Not all at once now...I got rid of the really bad ones at first then God just kept dealing w/ me about it until they all were gone.  And I tell you what...I felt better and sorta relieved about that I was doing the right thing you know?

But really though...would JESUS listen to that kind of music or want his children to?...definitely not!... :( ...so just pray about if you have this problem...and believe me if you are one of his...he will definitely work it out of your life some how some way!...for sure!... :D

But there are really some cool Christian rappers out there.  I woulda never thought so.  I was like no way is there gonna be some Christian rapper to throw down a tight beat like a Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg but boy was I wrong.  Check out some T-Bone...some Grits...some B.B. Jay...or some D.C.P.  The last two mentioned are tight!

But yeah listen to some Christian music or at least music w/o all the cussing in it...for real though!...if you can't get across what you want to say w/o cussing...something is definitely wrong!... :( ...so if anybody wants to somehow check out a few songs from these artists and has like an MP3 player drop me a line...and I'll see what I can do for you...for sure!

Peace Out! :cool:

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't listen to much music at all anymore. I used to like oldies a long time ago (back when I was 11 to about when I was 14), I don't now.

I do like some instrumental music though. . .nevertheless I wonder if it is allowable since many of these songs were written for definitely secular cultural atmospheres. . .:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by seesaw
I havn't heard any pop song that has alot of bad words in it. Well if it's cause the songs (has very unChristian themes) well almost everything in the world or on t.v or radio is bad. Just cause it doesn't meet Christian standards doens't mean its bad.

TV can be observed (news and such) for educational purposes, however, music is a very emotional thing and secular music is completely at odds with the Spirit of God.

I wouldn't expect non-Christians (or a Christians unfamiliar with the Spirit) to understand this (though I think they could).

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm. Some life experiences that Christians, among others, go through, though, might require some "language" in a song that was rougher than normal. In order to provide support for Christians who are being divorced, e.g., one might have to mention some unpleasant things.

I think whether language is "bad" depends on context.

Upvote 0

AtheistArchon

Be alert. We need more lerts.
Feb 6, 2002
Atlanta
✟3,507.00
- Heheh... if you're listening to rap, you have more problems than just the "cuss words".  ;)

- As for Christian music, I don't see how a couple of them can be avoided.  The "D" word (which is all over the bible, but banned here on the forums... interesting) for example.  Let's not forget that the bible is a pretty bloody and tawdry book.

TV can be observed (news and such) for educational purposes, however, music is a very emotional thing and secular music is completely at odds with the Spirit of God.

- What an incredible double standard.  :)

- Are you trying to tell me that the Backstreet Boys are in league with Satan??  I'd almost believe you actually.

- Also, just as an aside... copying and distributing licensed music via MP3 is theft.  :)  Although, it's not specifically mentioned in the bible, so perhaps you might be able to fit it into your moral scheme.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Originally posted by ChristDied4U!
Doing all this by God wills...definitely not by choice! I mean this was music that I had grew up listening to and all my friends listened to it too!  But little by little...slowly but surely...God worked it all out of my life.  One day God just told me and led me to getting rid of them all.  I was like what?...no way!...I can't do this God!...this is my music man!...so I prayed about it and for awhile and then he led me to chuck about 200 or so fresh CD's in the trash...I prayed and asked him if I could sell them for $3-$5 a pop at the local CD place in town...but then he sorta let me know that I would just be polluting other people's minds.

Man I tell you what...I could not believe that I was able to do that!...all of them in the trash.  Not all at once now...I got rid of the really bad ones at first then God just kept dealing w/ me about it until they all were gone.  And I tell you what...I felt better and sorta relieved about that I was doing the right thing you know?

But really though...would JESUS listen to that kind of music or want his children to?...definitely not!... :( ...so just pray about if you have this problem...and believe me if you are one of his...he will definitely work it out of your life some how some way!...for sure!... :D

But there are really some cool Christian rappers out there.  I woulda never thought so.  I was like no way is there gonna be some Christian rapper to throw down a tight beat like a Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg but boy was I wrong.  Check out some T-Bone...some Grits...some B.B. Jay...or some D.C.P.  The last two mentioned are tight!

But yeah listen to some Christian music or at least music w/o all the cussing in it...for real though!...if you can't get across what you want to say w/o cussing...something is definitely wrong!... :( ...so if anybody wants to somehow check out a few songs from these artists and has like an MP3 player drop me a line...and I'll see what I can do for you...for sure!

Peace Out! :cool:

That's great! :clap:  I hope others follow your example of letting God show you what He wants in and out of your life.  Keep it up!!

Upvote 0

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
I once read something in which a man cooked some brownies for his kids.  Before they ate them, he told them the brownies had a little bit of dog poop in them.  The kids wouldn't eat them.  The point was, something may look good, but if it has even a little bit of somethng bad in it, it ruins the whole thing.

A couple of "cuss words" every now and then?  Hmmm....

A quick shot of bare flesh?  Hmmm....

Think about it.

I agree with Christdied4u.  I don't understand how someone who feels they have to use profanity and obscenities in their works can be considered artistic geniuses.  It doesn't take a genius to cuss.

Upvote 0

unworthyone

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟9,398.00
Originally posted by JereReagan
You have to judge the material in the song... The easiest way to judge it is.. If Christ was in your car riding with you, what music would you want to play?

Good day,
Jere

I think Jesus would be quite annoyed that we Christians live according to "worldly" standards.

Upvote 0

unworthyone

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟9,398.00
Note: Removed a portion of your post for mentioning the cuss words as an illustration of bad language. This is not acceptable as there are members as young as 10 years old that frequent the forums. Please do not post any words that are representative of bad language. Thank you. [/B]

Sorry Miz. Thats fine but....why are they representative of bad language?

Upvote 0