What was your first Computer ? any Pics ?

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have still got my first computer , can't throw this away ;)

what computer did you first use or own ? any Pictures is a bonus ....

Here's my first Computer :

Amstrad PCW9512

Amstrad_9512.jpg

file13

A wild boar has entered in the vineyard
Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
^_^ My first home CPU was a Tandy 1000 EX:

Tandy1000EX-200.jpg

(not a personal pic, but that's what it looked like). It had awesome GWBASIC and you could get a decent assembler from shareware.

Sadly, my mother threw it out once upon a time without asking. Otherwise I'd probably still keep it. :D

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
^_^ My first home CPU was a Tandy 1000 EX:

Tandy1000EX-200.jpg

(not a personal pic, but that's what it looked like). It had awesome GWBASIC and you could get a decent assembler from shareware.

Sadly, my mother threw it out once upon a time without asking. Otherwise I'd probably still keep it. :D

cool ! where's the cdrom slot ? mine didn't have one but it did have one or two games :p

Upvote 0

file13

Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
cool ! where's the cdrom slot ? mine didn't have one but it did have one or two games :p

WHAT IS CD-ROM!? ^_^

It was the first home PC to have a 3.5 floppy disk as I recall. No hard drive, no mouse (they had them, but this is before they were common)! MS-DOS and if you wanted to pay for it, you could get a dial-up modem to get on Prodigy. :D

It did have all the awesome Sierra games of the time though and had a 16 color (EGA?) monitor and even a three voice built in "sound card."

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Radio Shack all the way!

I used this for a business I was in at the time, it operated in MS-DOS but I had a friend who wrote custom windows programs before windows was cool, loaded by floppy disc of course.. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I still have my old Commodore 64....don't have any pics, though. Next was an old whitebox 286, 1 MB RAM, with MSDOS 5.0. I added a mouse just to do it. It had a 20MB hard drive with a MFM interface. I upgraded to MSDOS 6.0, and did some early college papers on it in the PFSWrite software I got with it.

I also made a newsletter for the band I was in at the time. I still have some copies of those newletters. Hard to believe I did it on a 286!

My first Windows computer was a P66 with 8 MB RAM, and Windows 95.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I still have my old Commodore 64....don't have any pics, though. Next was an old whitebox 286, 1 MB RAM, with MSDOS 5.0. I added a mouse just to do it. It had a 20MB hard drive with a MFM interface. I upgraded to MSDOS 6.0, and did some early college papers on it in the PFSWrite software I got with it.

I also made a newsletter for the band I was in at the time. I still have some copies of those newletters. Hard to believe I did it on a 286!

My first Windows computer was a P66 with 8 MB RAM, and Windows 95.

thanks Jim !

something like this ?

C64combo.jpg

Commodore_64.jpg

I think I started with windows 98 . still got the disk :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No pics, but mine was an ADAM...tape storage, printer was impact wheel, and you could either use a 9 inch monitor (included) or any TV....no internet.(on an edit, I managed to find a pic)
http://oldcomputers.net/pics/adam.jpg

My first internet enabled machine was an IBM E-16. 1.7 gig HD and 16 megs of RAM...when new, it was state of the art!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

file13

Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No pics, but mine was an ADAM...tape storage, printer was impact wheel, and you could either use a 9 inch monitor (included) or any TV....no internet.
http://oldcomputers.net/pics/adam.jpg

My first internet enabled machine was an IBM E-16. 1.7 gig HD and 16 megs of RAM...when new, it was state of the art!

Oh man, I remember tape drives! ^_^

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
thanks Jim !

something like this ?

C64combo.jpg

Commodore_64.jpg

I think I started with windows 98 . still got the disk :p

Pretty close! LOL!

I learned Windows 95 by breaking it so many times and having to reload it, that I started digging into it and figuring out what made it tick. I had already learned a lot about DOS, so I had a starting point, as Win95 was built on DOS 6.22. I got a copy of Win98 Beta 3 when it became available, and started to really learn how it worked. I learned to customize the OS, tweak it for better performance, etc. When Win 98 SR2 came out, it had a memory leak that caused it to lock up if you let it run for a few days. I figured out how to fix it, and asked a tech at Microsoft if they had figured out how to fix the leak, He said they hadn't come up with a solution, so I told him what I had done. A month later, when the company I was working for got a new shipment of SR2 CDs from Microsoft, my fix was already incorporated. I didn't get any official credit for it, but I'm the guy who fixed the memory leak in Win 98 SR2.

I haven't had the time to dig into XP, Vista (yuck!), or Win 7 as much as I did Win98. Since they're built on NT, the underlying architecture is completely different. My work now doesn't have me fiddling with things too much, just imaging systems, and configuring them for the closed network they attach to. The retail software interface is already installed on the image, which runs on top of Win XP SP 2.

My next endeavor is to get the new tablet I just got set up and start playing with it. It's an HP Touchpad (got it really cheap) running WebOS. Supposedly there will be an Android version worked up for the Touchpad sometime, at which point I will probably switch to that, since I have an Android phone.

I still think back with great memories of the 4 years I worked at Skyline Microsystems....that's where I got 99% of the knowledge I use now in my work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Just watching Dallas (season 9) and ;

"Do you know anything about computers Mr Ewing"

"we have one at the office but nothing as fancy as this" replies JR

"ar a beauty the Apex 2000 stores up to 5000 billion bites of information with a random access of 20 mb " replies the computer OP

I nearly spat my tea out !!! :)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My first computer was an IBM PC with an 8088 processor and a 8087 coprocessor, dual 5-1/4" disk drives and 640 K of memory. I had a Hercules monochrome graphics card and an IBM monochrome monitor. For printing, I had an Okidata Microline 92 printer. I still have it, just can't stand to part with it even though I haven't used it in many, many years.

That was my first computer. Since then, I've mostly built my own except for my Fujitsu laptop and my wife's HP. It's one of my many hobbies.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My first computer was the KayProII (ABOVE). But prior to that a friend let me use his Commodore Pet,

pet2001-black.jpg

This rascal had a 40 character line, a cassette tape for storage, a whopping 4k of RAM and a word processor chip soldered on the mother board.

Upvote 0