Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always thought that Jesus was a Jew, but what kind of Jew? I've been reading some ancient manuscripts and it looks like there were several different kinds of Jewish sects.

I don't have an answer for the question "what religion was Jesus?" I'm reading a book right now that suggests that the type of Jew he was was eliminated in 70 A.D. But, I'm not exactly a religious historian...just a seeker.

I often think that Christians sometimes elevate denominations over God's real message. I don't know why this is so. But it often has the aspect of pride.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wisdom Seeker said:
I always thought that Jesus was a Jew, but what kind of Jew? I've been reading some ancient manuscripts and it looks like there were several different kinds of Jewish sects.

I don't have an answer for the question "what religion was Jesus?" I'm reading a book right now that suggests that the type of Jew he was was eliminated in 70 A.D. But, I'm not exactly a religious historian...just a seeker.

I often think that Christians sometimes elevate denominations over God's real message. I don't know why this is so. But it often has the aspect of pride.
Namaste wisdom seeker,

i like your alias.. that's my mission as well... how are the trees in your forest?
wink.gif
in any case...

i think you make a valid point. sometimes i think that it's an after effect of being the "chosen" people... i mean this is God choosing you after all.. it's bound to cause some folks to have a bit of hubris.

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Namaste vajradhara. I appreciate your greeting. It's been a while since anyone has greeted me with Namaste. A bit too long I'm afraid as my heart lept when I read it.

My name, I believe was given me by infused knowledge. I only wish others knew the depth of what it means.

Hubris has caused me many a heartache. If only we could all put our personal pride aside and discuss things of great depth with mutual satisfaction and respect.

Upvote 0

Linda8

Aug 10, 2003
South West
✟471.00
Faith
Messianic
vajradhara said:
Namaste atikin,

thank you for the post.

it's your position that Jesus was pre-existant, however, i do not share that view. however, remaining within the boundaries that you've set here...

Jesus was not in the Garden of Eden. plain and simple. God was, Adam was and so was Eve. There were, apparantly, some other beings there as well..angels to guard it when the original couple was kicked out.

i'm not sure what you're asking me here... are you somehow relating pre-historic people (premsuming that Adam and Eve were real) with an historic person in the 1st Century CE? Then drawing a parallel with how they didn't wear clothes then and Jesus did in the 1st CE?

you will understand that during Jesus' ministry, it was not widely held that he was God, nor... more importantly, that he was some sort of being out of time or phase (which i'm not sure what means).

i'm afraid that i cannot think too deeply about what you've posted as it doesn't really make much sense to me. many of your thoughts are not fully articulated here and as such i cannot make heads or tails of what you are trying to communicate.

if i could sumarize.. i'd say that you are trying to say that Jesus is a living being and that we should, rather than striving to understand how Jesus lived and so forth, prepare for his immanent arrival.
Of course the majority of people around Jesus could not comprehend the gravity of one like a man being God so the point you make simply speaks of the ignorance that many had of Christ plus Jesus was not really believed by the majority anyway hence they would not even understand his relation with time and phase as you put it.

However, what is with the time interval between Jesus in Eden (he is God so He was in Eden) and Jesus living in Judea? How is that explained ?

Upvote 0

Linda8

Aug 10, 2003
South West
✟471.00
Faith
Messianic
vajradhara said:
I'm unclear why you are insisting that Jesus is not coming from outerspace or the past... if Jesus is God, as we are stipulating within this thread, then God exists outside of time... ergo, there is no past, present or future. there is only now. nobody, as far as i can tell, is saying that a 1CE Jesus is going to return... that would be quite absurd.

My point here is that, as the Jesus of 1CE is the only example of Jesus that we have, that is the one by which we must model our behavior. not the 21st or 22nd or 23rd or 24th CE Jesus of which we have no information.
Outer space..?

The Bible teaches that Jesus was born, Jesus never came from outer space.

Matthew1: 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Jesus never comes from outer space.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Linda8 said:
Outer space..?

The Bible teaches that Jesus was born, Jesus never came from outer space.

Matthew1: 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Jesus never comes from outer space.
Namaste,

that's my point exactly.. atkin keeps insisting that Jesus is going to come from some outer space territory or some sort of time machine... at least thats what i think he's saying.. i'm not entirely certain... it's a bit disjointed and i'm finding it difficult to follow the thoughts...

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wisdom Seeker said:
Namaste vajradhara. I appreciate your greeting. It's been a while since anyone has greeted me with Namaste. A bit too long I'm afraid as my heart lept when I read it.

My name, I believe was given me by infused knowledge. I only wish others knew the depth of what it means.

Hubris has caused me many a heartache. If only we could all put our personal pride aside and discuss things of great depth with mutual satisfaction and respect.
Namaste wisdom seeker,

my pleasure :)

i look forward to many a conversation with you :)

welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
Woah! Jesus from outer space or a time machine?!

Come on guy. The beauty of it is we don't know how he will come back and we shouldn't stipulate about such things, of which we have no knowledge because it only creates division and conjecture.

What we should care about is that fact that he will come back at some point. When and how is part of knowledge that is hidden from us and is only with God.

Also, since God created time, He's not subject to it. He can act in any point in time and in any place, or act in ALL time and ALL places at the same moment. That is God, the All-Powerful, Most-Wise.

Upvote 0

Linda8

Aug 10, 2003
South West
✟471.00
Faith
Messianic
vajradhara said:
Namaste,

that's my point exactly.. atkin keeps insisting that Jesus is going to come from some outer space territory or some sort of time machine... at least thats what i think he's saying.. i'm not entirely certain... it's a bit disjointed and i'm finding it difficult to follow the thoughts...

A careful look at this raises something in the direction of time

Daniel lived in the 6th century BC I believe and Jesus spoke to him regarding serious prophecies

Daniel 10:5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in
linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:
6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning,
and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished
brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.

This is in Daniel 10:5-6 same appearance as Jesus in Revelation 1:13-16

It is difficult to hide the fact that Jesus was born on Earth approx 600 years after Jesus gave this message to Daniel over 500 years earlier.

My Lord is the reference to him in Daniel 10 and God never allows angels to be worshipped as such

Daniel 10:1616 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my
lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no
strength. 17 For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me,
straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

Jesus living in multiple time zones?

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Linda8 said:
A careful look at this raises something in the direction of time

Daniel lived in the 6th century BC I believe and Jesus spoke to him regarding serious prophecies

Daniel 10:5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in
linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:
6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning,
and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished
brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.

This is in Daniel 10:5-6 same appearance as Jesus in Revelation 1:13-16

It is difficult to hide the fact that Jesus was born on Earth approx 600 years after Jesus gave this message to Daniel over 500 years earlier.

My Lord is the reference to him in Daniel 10 and God never allows angels to be worshipped as such

Daniel 10:1616 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my
lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no
strength. 17 For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me,
straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

Jesus living in multiple time zones?
Namaste linda8,

you will, i hope, conceed that Daniel was written well before John and as such, the Johannie writers were very famaliar with the OT writings.. is it really any wonder that they would use the same terminology?

in any event, it's really not germane to our discussion here, which is focused on understanding what the Historical Jesus did in the way of devotional activities towards God.

i'm not sure what your reference to the time zones is all about... can you clarify?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Godzman said:
Jesus didn't have to have a religion, he is God
Namaste,

there are 25 pages here... this has been said a myriad times on this thread. thank you for your participation :)

Upvote 0

Wills

Jul 24, 2003
✟416.00
Faith
Messianic
Godzman said:
Jesus didn't have to have a religion, he is God

That answers it all. He was what humans have to follow and obey and his life

involved teaching humans what to do to obey the Spirit.

He manifested in flesh in order to make it easier for humans to learn from his direct

example what to do to truly obey God.

If God had used a Spirit form to teach humans, the human being, being of relatively low intelligence, would not comprehend.

Hence, to make it easier for human beings, a human form did the teaching by self example.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Wills said:
If God had used a Spirit form to teach humans, the human being, being of relatively low intelligence, would not comprehend.

Hence, to make it easier for human beings, a human form did the teaching by self example.
Logical problem there if you are assuming God is omnipotent. The Spirit would be just as capable of conveying a message to humans as the Son since both have infinite power and ability.

It would make more sense for God to have used a human form to reduce trauma to the people and not damage their grip on reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
God talks to us THROUGH His Messengers, Prophets, Holy Men and Enlightened Men.

He expresses Himself through all of us. The infinite possibilities of His Creation are manifest in each one of us.

When architects design a beautiful building, is it really the architects brain that came up with it? Or was the perfection _inspired_ by God through which He manifests His Power through us?

There is no need for Him to incarnate in order to save us the trauma! He's appeared under several guises to Prophets of Old, or sent His Angels. If anything, the people encountered were strenghtended by this, rather than traumatized.

Upvote 0

Atkin

Jun 29, 2003
✟573.00
Faith
Christian
revolutio said:
Logical problem there if you are assuming God is omnipotent. The Spirit would be just as capable of conveying a message to humans as the Son since both have infinite power and ability.

It would make more sense for God to have used a human form to reduce trauma to the people and not damage their grip on reality.
The problem is not with the factor of omnipotence of God. It lies in the

restricted capability of the human in his limited form to abstract the teachings from

a fiery Spirit source.

A human teacher is far safer than the direct fire from heaven, which used

to devour and kill hundreds of Israelites when they went against his wishes.

rolleyes.gif
Numbers 16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.
And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took each of them his censer, and put fire therein, and laid incense thereon, and offered strange fire before Jehovah, which he had not commanded them. And there came forth fire from before Jehovah, and devoured them and they died before Jehovah (Leviticus 10:1-2).

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
Atkin said:
The problem is not with the factor of omnipotence of God. It lies in the

restricted capability of the human in his limited form to abstract the teachings from

a fiery Spirit source.

A human teacher is far safer than the direct fire from heaven, which used

to devour and kill hundreds of Israelites when they went against his wishes.

rolleyes.gif
Numbers 16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.
And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took each of them his censer, and put fire therein, and laid incense thereon, and offered strange fire before Jehovah, which he had not commanded them. And there came forth fire from before Jehovah, and devoured them and they died before Jehovah (Leviticus 10:1-2).
I have to agree with you on this one.

God has setup a veil between us an Him until the Day of Judgement. We cannot know Him directly and He only choses to reveal Himself through the sending Messengers, Prophets, or Angels to Holy Men.

His "Essence" would probably make our brains explode cause of its "inconceivable-ity" :p

Upvote 0

Linda8

Aug 10, 2003
South West
✟471.00
Faith
Messianic
vajradhara said:
Namaste linda8,

you will, i hope, conceed that Daniel was written well before John and as such, the Johannie writers were very famaliar with the OT writings.. is it really any wonder that they would use the same terminology?

in any event, it's really not germane to our discussion here, which is focused on understanding what the Historical Jesus did in the way of devotional activities towards God.

i'm not sure what your reference to the time zones is all about... can you clarify?
Actually, you made an earlier post referring to the fact that God and Jesus are not limited by time and the verse above proves that right.

Jesus was the one who spoke in Daniel 10, 11 and 12.

Jesus spoke to Daniel over 500 years before He, Jesus was born in Judea.

Now that cannot be easily understood by folks.

It helps understand the quasi-"historical" Jesus better to know that He is not

really HISTORICAL but He is instantaneous in regard to human perception.

Upvote 0

Wills

Jul 24, 2003
✟416.00
Faith
Messianic
vajradhara said:
Namaste,

The Bible speaks regarding this area

Jesus had left earth already, decades after his ascension in approx 32-34AD when He was seen in Revelation 1:13 in 96AD ..

first Jesus LEAVES PLANET EARTH earlier in 33AD

Acts1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

and about 60 years later Jesus saw John on Earth close to 100CE when he spoke below

------------------------

REVELATION 1:12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

The question is which Galaxy
rolleyes.gif
or Planet did Jesus come from to deliver this strong speech close to 100CE after leaving Planet EARTH about 60 years earlier?
confused.gif

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.