United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aren't we forgetting something called "The Anointing"? [No!, DA]

Does The Anointing come with advanced degree? [Irrelevant, illogical question!, DA]

Are all preachers without advanced degrees in theology false teachers? [Not necessarily! DA]

Speaking authoritatively on any subject does not guarantee the lack of errors. [The same applies to your religious group!, DA]

You can in fact speak authoritatively even with false doctrines... [That is evidenced by all the anti-Paul posts in this forum!, DA]

So have you really made a point? ...

He certainly has made a point. One cannot speak with any degree of authority on any subject they have not had extensive training in. Anyone can "claim" they are knowledgable in a field. But someone with an advanced degree has demonstrated to a number of scholars their competence. Have you ever noticed that the only discipline where amateurs claim to know as much or more than all the scholars, is the field of Theology. Everyone with a Strong's thinks they are a Hebrew and Greek scholar. Very, very few instances where someone without the required education starts practicing law, medicine, accounting, education etc. Only in theology.

Maybe you will but I am not going to take medical, legal, accounting, etc. advice from a pseudonymous poster online with virtually no formal education in the respective field. So why should I take spiritual advice from someone without equivalent education in Theology?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
If you listen to men, you will wind up probably following men.

The spirit of Truth is spirit. You can get the message in clarity, even through the slightly dirty translations, IMO.

Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way. There is a rebirth and an image of rebirth. It is certainly necessary to be born again through the image. Which one? Resurrection. The image must rise again through the image. The bridal chamber and the image must enter through the image into the truth: this is the restoration.-Philip

Truth isn't merely read. It has to be placed spiritually in truth as the image the spirit wants us to see. Even when man tries to do something to disrupt the truth, the Holy Spirit can have it's way:

The saints are served by evil powers, for they are blinded by the Holy Spirit into thinking that they are serving an (ordinary) man whenever they do so for the saints.-Philip

The battle is a spiritual one, not a physical one (of words).
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
This is irrelevant; the question we are addressing is what Paul's theology was. Should I give more weight in this debate to a Professor of New Testament or some guy who struggles to write coherent sentences?
I don't know why people use grammar as a point of attack, as grammar is not a condition of intelligence, knowledge, or wisdom.

If I issued Joseph474 the title "Distinguished Chair and Professor of Non-Pauline Studies", will you then listen to him?

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I issued Joseph474 the title "Distinguished Chair and Professor of Non-Pauline Studies", will you then listen to him?

No, but I would not be surprised if you did.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apostle Paul theology was to preach the resurrection.
As Jesus Christ appeared to him, it brought the reality of eternal life for the believer.
It would give anyone's theology a jolt if Jesus Christ appeared to call them personally.
We worship in spirit and in truth, not in education or degrees.

Upvote 0

Joseph474

Feb 2, 2012
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why people use grammar as a point of attack, as grammar is not a condition of intelligence, knowledge, or wisdom.

Well..I..just little new servant that serves YHVH .
Nothing great. Furthermore English is not my mother tongue..
Not a professor, not scholar, not even a thinker, unless all humans are considered thinkers.

I need to learn.

Shalom!

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I humbly do not know whether it is possible for non-Pauline views to exist in seminaries, all of which are strictly controlled by Paulians. Robert Eisenman did manage to publish but I do not know whether his stuff is peer-reviewed.

This is not true. There are seminaries of all theological persuasions. I did a semester at Candler School of Theology (Emory University). My OT professor, Dr. Tucker, used the Documentary Hypothesis to make mince meat of the OT.

Bet you could find some Paul-bashers there

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So why does it take a Pauline Scholar to fully understand Paul's Epistles??

But why does the teachings of Jesus (Words of God - John 1:1) revealed clearly to little children??

You mean, of course, except for those teachings where Jesus said unless you have ears to hear that you won't understand them. Right?

Upvote 0

peterlindner

returning from journey
Mar 1, 2013
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have many things to say against Paul(disciples and angels also).

And I would also ask this...On a scale of 1-10 how transformed by the renewing of your mind are you?

What did Jesus say about going before a judge? Why did Paul avoid judgement?
Jesus is the Word. Why did Paul say the letter killeth?
God gives spirits of confusion to Saul.
Jesus knocked over the tables...Agag and Paul sought peace with the government.
Gen49 prophecy...The wolf of damascus street...the ravening benjamites!

If the feet be clean then so is the whole. Why does the angel in revelation have feet that shine like brass (not gold)? Looks/sounds/feels like its Godly (just like Job's friends) but it is not!

I am a church of one. I am israel. I do not possess degrees in New Testament studies. I am not ordained of man. I do not hold popular opinions. I'm unclean by death and have been on a long journey. My Passover is the second month. First fruits are not to be eaten until 4 years are completed.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I see Paul as a man full of wisdom provided by his anointing of the Spirit. I also see his imperfections as a man. He saw them as well.

He explains that the spirit gives allotted gifts such as knowledge to some, prophecy to some, healing to some, Tongues to some, etc. (1 Corinthians), yet he seems to boast that he has all of these gifts as one men, speaking in tongues more than anyone, having all knowledge, etc.

I am careful to put full faith in anything that isn't identifiable by Christ himself. But Paul was with the disciples. So was Judas. It is important to me that I judge not the man, but the message. Men die. Messages can remain.

Actually, Judas asked good questions. Paul made good points. But to discard all or to accept all is up to what makes up the Gospel (truth from Christ) in the mind of the believer. If someone gives me a message first, I should be able to say, "that seems to follow the Gospel", or "that seems correct in my belief" before I know who said it in scripture, no matter if it's Canon or not, Pauline or not, etc.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He certainly has made a point. One cannot speak with any degree of authority on any subject they have not had extensive training in.

Training is important but there are many ways to have it outside of academia.

Prove me wrong by giving me proof that no one with average or no education at all has ever beat another with advanced degrees in the same field they are competing. (Secular examples)

Anyone can "claim" they are knowledgable in a field. But someone with an advanced degree has demonstrated to a number of scholars their competence.

1 John 2:27
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Maybe you will but I am not going to take medical, legal, accounting, etc. advice from a pseudonymous poster online with virtually no formal education in the respective field. So why should I take spiritual advice from someone without equivalent education in Theology?

Perhaps a Greek Scholar should explain if the English translation of 1 John 2:27 is wrong and mistranslated from Greek!:wave:

If no one needs to teach us (except for The Anointing), then what is the value of having advanced degrees? I tell you, it's zero, it's meaningless to God, it has value to men but to God, no,

Ironically, such attitudes are clearly reflected in Luke 16:15 - Justify yourselves to men? One of the obvious answer is educational attainment.

I think I hear someone is pulling hairs now!^_^

Advanced degrees is one thing, but you can't go against scriptures, can you?

I'm not against education but are we supposed to judge people by their educational attainment? NO!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You mean, of course, except for those teachings where Jesus said unless you have ears to hear that you won't understand them. Right?

I understood every teachings, parables, figures of speech of Jesus (in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) even before anyone explained it to me.

As for Paul's epistles, I had to read it over and over so many times before I realized it's hopeless, it's not the same as the Gospel of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Training is important but there are many ways to have it outside of academia.

Prove me wrong by giving me proof that no one with average or no education at all has ever beat another with advanced degrees in the same field they are competing. (Secular examples)

1 John 2:27
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Perhaps a Greek Scholar should explain if the English translation of 1 John 2:27 is wrong and mistranslated from Greek!:wave:

If no one needs to teach us (except for The Anointing), then what is the value of having advanced degrees? I tell you, it's zero, it's meaningless to God, it has value to men but to God, no,

Ironically, such attitudes are clearly reflected in Luke 16:15 - Justify yourselves to men? One of the obvious answer is educational attainment.

I think I hear someone is pulling hairs now!^_^

Advanced degrees is one thing, but you can't go against scriptures, can you?

I'm not against education but are we supposed to judge people by their educational attainment? NO!...

No hair pulling at all. We have heard it all before. Your premises are wrong thus your conclusions are wrong. Don't need further teaching? Please read the following?

בטח אל־יהוה בכל־לבך ואל־בינתך אל־תשׁען׃

ישׁ דרך ישׁר לפני־אישׁ ואחריתה דרכי־מות׃

σπουδασον σεαυτον δοκιμον παραστησαι τω θεω εργατην ανεπαισχυντον ορθοτομουντα τον λογον της αληθειας

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understood every teachings, parables, figures of speech of Jesus (in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) even before anyone explained it to me.

As for Paul's epistles, I had to read it over and over so many times before I realized it's hopeless, it's not the same as the Gospel of Jesus.

If one has been thoroughly indoctrinated to reject Paul's writings, no wonder when they try to read Paul they consider his writings false, hopeless, etc. Although I (involuntarily) went to church as a child, between the ages of 9 and mid 20s, I may have stepped in a church a dozen times. I had a superficial knowledge of the hero stories, Daniel, David, etc. When I became a Christian, since I had no doctrinal preconceptions, when I read the Bible I had no trouble understanding any part of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What degrees or certifications did Messiah and the 12 apostles hold, or what peer-reviewed works did they publish?

Jesus: "It is written..."

2Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is God breathed..."

Who needs peer reviews when you have the Source?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0