pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just brought a NASB prior I was using NIV. My understanding of the difference between the two is NIV is though for though and NASB is word for word.

What translation do you use?

Dang theres a typo in the title...how do I fix that?
To fix the typo click edit and then click on "go advanced" and that will let you change your title I think.

We have a copy of most every version of the Bible and study Bible there is and others I look at online.
I think it is good to have a variety to look at although it can be confusing at times.
I use NIV online along with KJV online. At home I use RSV and the Recovery Version the most and sometimes The Amplified New Testament and NASB and American Standard.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a proponent of the NASB, which I think (IMO) is probably the most accurate translation to date and that is something that is important to me.

My wife likes the NIV - but I still love her anyway :) (just kidding).

I also have several ASV Bibles (one belonged to my great grandfather, a congregational minister) and I refer to that every now and then.

I have a Phillips translation for reference and keep my KJV for same.

Other than the Phillips, I strenuously avoid modern paraphrase versions of the Bible. I really don't care to read personal opinions published as Bibles - and there are some pretty bad ones out there.

In Him,

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I just brought a NASB prior I was using NIV. My understanding of the difference between the two is NIV is though for though and NASB is word for word.

What translation do you use?

Dang theres a typo in the title...how do I fix that?
NIV is actually a middle of the road translation. It's a nice balance between thought-for-thought and word-for-word. An NLT would more along the lines of a thought-for-thought translation. I personally use the NIV, only because that's what my Lutheran church is currently using. If they weren't, I'd not have bought it again. I try to stick with NASB and ESV. But usually just read the ESV.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am a proponent of the NASB, which I think (IMO) is probably the most accurate translation to date and that is something that is important to me.

I also have several ASV Bibles (one belonged to my great grandfather, a congregational minister) and I refer to that every now and then.

I have a Phillips translation for reference and keep my KJV for same.

Other than the Phillips, I strenuously avoid modern paraphrase versions of the Bible. I really don't care to read personal opinions published as Bibles - and there are some pretty bad ones out there.

In Him,

Ah, so this is a mixed marriage then? LOL And which part are you kidding about? Loving your wife, or still loving her 'cause she uses the NIV? LOL

Upvote 0

fritz300

You shall know the truth
Apr 27, 2007
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟8,471.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
NASB is really really good for a word-to-word translation based on experience. I don't read from it, I've just noticed that over the years.

I prefer NKJV for reading, not because of it's accuracy cause I know it's far from it, but I enjoy reading it the most.

Next to that I like the CJB (Complete Jewish Bible).

Regards,
fritz

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, so this is a mixed marriage then? LOL And which part are you kidding about? Loving your wife, or still loving her 'cause she uses the NIV? LOL
Yeah ok, you caught me, ha! ;)

Of course....... I love my wife, LOL - even though she is an NIV'er. Love must make certain amends, ha!

In Him,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you from the Living Stream Ministry? I was from there too...in fact I still have my Recovery NT Bible.
Hi Jeremy :wave: Nice to meet you!
I do meet with a local church.
I love the Recovery Version Bible because it is very well written. I also like to have other Bible versions and concordances and word studies because I have lots of questions about the Bible sometimes.
I think the NASB is very good and I like the psalms best in the KJV because the translation of them in the KJV is beautifully poetic.
Although I know the NIV is not the most accurate translation in some areas, I find that its wording is very simple and easy to understand so I do use it at times - I just check the verse in other translations to see if it is correct.

Upvote 0

jeremyloo

Sep 19, 2007
Singapore
Visit site
✟15,337.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jeremy :wave: Nice to meet you!
I do meet with a local church.
I love the Recovery Version Bible because it is very well written. I also like to have other Bible versions and concordances and word studies because I have lots of questions about the Bible sometimes.
I think the NASB is very good and I like the psalms best in the KJV because the translation of them in the KJV is beautifully poetic.
Although I know the NIV is not the most accurate translation in some areas, I find that its wording is very simple and easy to understand so I do use it at times - I just check the verse in other translations to see if it is correct.

Hi christianmomof3,

Nice meeting you too. I was from the "Church In Singapore". Yes, I do agree that the Recovery Version NT is well translated. However, they are now using KJV after splitting from LSM. I was told that LSM came out with the Complete Recovery Version OT and NT.

Now, I'm using various translations. However, I'm using more of either Complete Jewish Bible, Scofield, Amplified or ESV. I do not fixed to any version. Sometimes, I would go for the Hebrew or Greek word for actual understanding of the verses.

Upvote 0

walloffire

Oct 4, 2007
✟970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NIV is actually a middle of the road translation. It's a nice balance between thought-for-thought and word-for-word. An NLT would more along the lines of a thought-for-thought translation. I personally use the NIV, only because that's what my Lutheran church is currently using. If they weren't, I'd not have bought it again. I try to stick with NASB and ESV. But usually just read the ESV.

NIV leaves out the part "and fasting" from:

Mat 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

NIV translated 17:21 as:

20He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
22When they came together in Galilee, he said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men. 23They will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised to life." And the disciples were filled with grief.

I mean, WHY leave out "prayer and fasting"? Do they think Jesus would not have said that? I think thats a sly trick of the devil to remove that part, to reduce the disciples' fasting and the disciples' prayer

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
NIV leaves out the part "and fasting" from:

20He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
22When they came together in Galilee, he said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men. 23They will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised to life." And the disciples were filled with grief.

I mean, WHY leave out "prayer and fasting"? Do they think Jesus would not have said that? I think thats a sly trick of the devil to remove that part, to reduce the disciples' fasting and the disciples' prayer
"NIV leaves out the part "and fasting" from:

I mean, WHY leave out "prayer and fasting"? Do they think Jesus would not have said that? I think thats a sly trick of the devil to remove that part, to reduce the disciples' fasting and the disciples' prayer"

My preferred translation is the ESV. I have heard of a few problems with the NIV and I just prefer a more literal translation now as opposed to a thought-for-thought translation like the NIV. The first church I attended was an Evangelical Free church and the first thing I did when I went to that church was grab the pew Bible and look at the translation. It was NIV, so that's what I bought. When I moved to AZ, I couldn't find an Evangelical Free church close enough to my house to be practical, so I had to go to a Non-Denom Bible church. I did the same thing upon my first visit. I grabbed the pew Bible and looked at the translation, NASB. So I used that one for a few years. Then I heard of the ESV, in that same church. They had decided to switch. Why? Because one of the parishioners there was a translator who worked on the ESV project. I compared the two and really didn't see that much of a difference side by side. But over time I noticed that the ESV did read a bit more smoothly. When I visited the Lutheran church I noticed they used the NIV, so I bought an NIV to read along with while there. I suspect the LCMS will adopt the ESV in the next couple of years, so then I can shelve the NIV for good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

favored_one

Jun 30, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟8,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I started with the KJV and read from it many years, and I attend a church that uses it primarily. Now for my bible in a year schedule, I read from the NIV or NLT. When studying, I use all of the translations I own...KJV, NIV, NLT, NASB, and Amplified. I tend to memorize the KJV because of my familiarity with it.:)

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is an article from the newspaper about the different versions of the Bible.
Christian consumer's guide to the Bible(s)

[SIZE=+1]No version fits every need or is the most accurate, experts say[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]08:48 AM CDT on Saturday, October 13, 2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]By TYRA DAMM [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]tyradamm@aol.com[/SIZE]

Anyone who's perused the shelves of a mega-bookstore's religion section has seen overwhelming choices of Christian Bibles and the accompanying alphabet soup.
All those versions – KJV, NKJV, NRSV, HCSB and more.
Some Bible scholars and Christian theologians say that making the best choice depends on the individual's needs. Will the Bible be used for light reading or intense study? Will it be used at weddings and funerals? Is it for a young or new Christian or a seasoned believer?
"There's no single version that can be pointed to as the most accurate in every respect," said Peter Thuesen, author of In Discordance With the Scriptures and a religious studies professor at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. The problem, he says, is defining accuracy – either as the degree of literalness or as how closely the translation captures the intent of the biblical authors.
There's also no single version that can fit every need, said Steven Sheeley, co-author of Choosing a Bible: A Guide to Modern English Translations and Editions and an administrator with Shorter College, a Baptist university in Rome, Ga.
Dr. Sheeley tends to use the New Revised Standard Version when preaching or studying. Sometimes he refers to J.B. Phillips' translation, which he admires for its energy and passion. And he often uses the King James Version for weddings and funerals, when the familiar 17th-century words might provide the most comfort.
"Some of those texts are still the quintessential. You can't improve on the beauty of 'The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.' "
Two types of translation
Translations fall into two categories: word for word, known as formal correspondence translations, and thought for thought, known as dynamic equivalence translations.
The formal correspondence translations are considered more accurate and rely less on translators' subjectivity. Examples of formal correspondence translations include the New International Version, the New Revised Standard Version and the English Standard Version.
Each of these translations was produced by a committee, an essential distinction, says Robert Hunt, director of global theological education at the Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist Uuniversity.
"A committee is more accurate," he said. "They'll check each other's translations. Idiosyncrasies won't come into translations."
Examples of dynamic equivalence include The Message by Eugene Peterson and The Living Bible translated by Kenneth Taylor.
"I would recommend that people not put all their eggs in a basket that is a paraphrase," Dr. Sheeley said. "The Living Bible, The Message –those are fine if they're not somebody's first text."
It's impossible to completely render the Greek and Hebrew of the Bible's original source material into any language, said Carolyn Osiek, a professor of New Testament at Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University.
"No translation is perfect," she said.
She uses the Revised Standard Version and Greek text when teaching. She admires the New International Version for its more flowing text and the Jerusalem Bible for its literary qualities.
Gendered language
James Hamilton, religious studies professor at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, preaches and teaches from the English Standard Version. He appreciates the literalness of the translation, he said, and its retention of gender-specific language.
The NRSV and Today's New International Version have softened the statements on gender roles, going beyond translation, Dr. Hamilton said.
"Interpreting is the job of commentator, teacher, preacher or the reader," said Dr. Hamilton.
Having a diversity of translations is beneficial to Christians, said Dr. Sheeley of Shorter College – as long as they take advantage of the resources.
"The variety of English translations suggests that someone must be right, somebody must be wrong," he said. "But I see them as tools. You can buy a Bible and put it on your shelf. It doesn't do any good unless you open them up and engage the text in the context of your own life and the life of others."
COMPARING TEXTS
John 6:56
King James Version: He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
New International Version: Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.
English Standard Version: Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
New Revised Standard Version: Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them.
New Living Translation: All who eat my flesh and drink my blood remain in me, and I in them.
1 Corinthians 1:30
King James Version: But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
New International Version: It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God­that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
English Standard Version: And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
New Revised Standard Version: He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
New Living Translation: God alone made it possible for you to be in Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made Christ to be wisdom itself. He is the one who made us acceptable to God. He made us pure and holy, and he gave himself to purchase our freedom.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...relbible_13met.ART.East.Edition1.427ebd8.html

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.