• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured What to say to a sister who attends multiple churches and small groups?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by sccs, Feb 9, 2019.

1. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,861
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Back in my evangelical days, I met some guys who would attend a weekly study at my Southern Baptist ecclesial community. I discovered that they were a circle of friends who were sort of evangelical vagabonds, joining groups but visiting different communities in rotation. Sometimes they would even attend service at two different ecclesial communities on a single Sunday.

I expressed my surprise and awe of this to my girlfriend who attended the same community I did. She wasn't the deepest well on the farm, one might say, but she had NO respect for those guys. "They should visit whichever groups they want but commit to one particular [community]," she said. I'd never thought of it that way.

Still, I don't see the problem with this type of behavior. Some people simply have a different aptitude for this and I don't think they should be "corrected" when they're not doing anything wrong.

I'm Catholic and I realize things work differently in my Church but I have been known to sometimes visit a special type of Catholic parish rather than my home parish on occasion. I meet a wider range of people and experience a bigger liturgical variety this way. I don't see the harm in this type of thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. sk8brdkd

sk8brdkd Audio A Sk8er

+708
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with what she’s doing. If this is how she has a better relationship with God, and if this is how she connects better with people, let her be. She’s not doing anything wrong.

At my church on Sunday, our pastor told everyone that he knows of some people who attend several different small groups and he actually encouraged the congregation to join different ones if we wanted to, to see which was a good match for us but he also stated, if we wanted to continue being in 2 or more small groups, then it’s fine.

I’d say don’t say anything other then encourage her in her walk. She’s doing what works best for her. Let her be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. DM25

DM25 Well-Known Member

+309
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    Going to multiple churches is fine, and it's also fine to hop around and find a church that works for you. It could be many before finding one that works for you and that God wants you to go to. Church is about fellowship with others in its definition. The church isn't a building, we are the church.

"You can go to a temple, you can sit in a pew, but you can't go to church, cause the church is you."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List