Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Why did you leave the RCC? I went to a Catholic grade school and many of my classmates have left the Church.
I left from sheer boredom, homilies that we’re impersonal and horrible music.
Now I look forward to going to church, rather than just fulfilling an obligation.

Do you have a few hours? I did the catholic school thing and by the time I finished, I was an atheist. Went back due to family pressure...until the final straw. My father died and the priest refused to do a funeral Mass for him because he had been housebound prior to his death and had not gone to Mass. I pretty much spit in the priest's face and that was that. Prior to that final straw, I was pretty much out, I decided to read the bible and eagerly looked for all those Catholic things that I had learned growing up. None of it was there. So...came to the conclusion that Catholicism was baloney.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a few hours? I did the catholic school thing and by the time I finished, I was an atheist. Went back due to family pressure...until the final straw. My father died and the priest refused to do a funeral Mass for him because he had been housebound prior to his death and had not gone to Mass. I pretty much spit in the priest's face and that was that. Prior to that final straw, I was pretty much out, I decided to read the bible and eagerly looked for all those Catholic things that I had learned growing up. None of it was there. So...came to the conclusion that Catholicism was baloney.

Upvote 0

TheWordIsOne101

Aug 19, 2020
USA
✟16,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I'm still new here. I would have posted this in one of the "Outreach" or "Debate" forums, but apparently I'm not allowed to post there for some reason.

I've been trying to find a church to attend, and I've visited a few around me.

I wasn't raised in a religious household, and almost never went to church as a kid, so it's all a bit new to me. I've been reading the KJ Bible on my own, and I'm nearly through it, although I won't pretend to understand it all.

I'd like to avoid the progressive/liberal mainstream denominations, since the ones I've visited near me are largely vacant and dying out, even before Covid. I attended a service at a PC(USA) church, and the pastor literally started dancing and saying that charity wasn't enough, and that we had to write to our representatives in Congress to raise everyone's taxes. I'm no Christian scholar, but I don't think Jesus was a big fan of large government nor thought it was a replacement for charity.

I've also been looking for churches with a healthy sized congregation which don't skew too elderly. Granted, that's been hard to estimate during Covid, since a lot of churches either close or encourage people to stay home.

I've been finding most services to be a little frustrating. It feels like no one wants to talk about anything, and are afraid of offending someone. Pastors will talk about Jesus being good, but they won't delve into what that means, nor how anyone should act in this world.

What should I be looking for in a church? What are some good questions I can ask the pastor to get a good sense of what they believe?

The two Altars
The Altars of Technology
The Altars of Silver and Gold

I begin with Exodus 20:25 (KJV) And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Technology is made by men, the internet it is a tool to give information, but it separates the Lord's people, it inundates by Satan infiltration by demons influence by devils, and the internet is contaminated. Covid-19 is a transmitted disease, this is more powerful this is called the spirit of infirmity, and the internet is the tree of good and evil, you just need to see it with Spiritual eyes.

The Church, the body of Christ, the internet brings physical distance and giving Satan infiltration by demons influence by devils
Since many are far away from our local Church and this will have Gods people to find another source of information meaning a false altar.

In Deuteronomy 27:5 do not make an alter made out of technology or design to please the flesh
When the twelve tribes of Israel marked out their tribal land grant in the days of Joshua, two and one-half tribes-Reuben, Gad, and half of Manasseh-were all provided the mountainous area known as Amon, on the east side of the Jordan River.

According to the Torah, all males over twenty years of age were required to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem three times a year-Passover, Pentecost and Tabernacles-to commemorate three of the seven sacred festivals, reminding them of the night God of Israel had spared their first born sons in Egypt, (Passover), the giving the Law of the (Pentecost), and Israel dwelling forty years in tents in the wilderness (Tabernacles-Exodus 23: 14-17), There were tribes whose land grants connected with or near Jerusalem’s temple mount: the tribe of Judah and Benjamin and even Ephraim. However, it was a very long Journey from the east bank of Jordan River for the two and one- half tribes when making the three years of pilgrimages. Imagine thousands of men making the effort to take small ferry boats back and forth across the Jordan River, Jerusalem to the Jordan River is about (134.2km) from the Jordan River, and from the eastern side of Jordan River 156 mi. It is 24 hours to walk to Jerusalem two miles from one end to the other (Joshua 3:1) (Joshua 4:23) this was three times a year, the day of Passover. Because of this very long trip and they travel with their livestock crossing over the Jordan River by ferry boats, back and forth, they want it to solve the long distance the problem, these tribal chose to build a massive Altar in the heart of their tribal territory (Joshua 22:10). This very huge structure could be seen miles away.

The problem was, God’s Torral Law commanded that no one even attempt to duplicate the tabernacle’s ritual instrument and sacred furniture, which includes copying the brass, or the golden alter. After hearing about this new alter, seven tribes were so infuriated, they armed themselves to go to war with the men from the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and half of Manasseh (Josh. 22:12). Joshua intervened by sending a priestly delegation to interview the tribal fathers (Josh 22: 30), who stated that the alter was not for sacrifices, but their intervention was to build a memorial alter to teach their children the story of the tribal divisions and why their tribes where on the east and not the west side of the Jordan (see Josh, 22:27-29).
but these are just of the many problems?

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow. I wonder if that issue with the funeral Mass is a Catholic thing or just that particular priest. Either way, it was wrong.
it was that priest. After I blistered his eardrums, he consented to perform the funeral mass.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I'm still new here. I would have posted this in one of the "Outreach" or "Debate" forums, but apparently I'm not allowed to post there for some reason.

I wasn't raised in a religious household, and almost never went to church as a kid, so it's all a bit new to me. I've been reading the KJ Bible on my own, and I'm nearly through it, although I won't pretend to understand it all.

I'd like to avoid the progressive/liberal mainstream denominations, since the ones I've visited near me are largely vacant and dying out, even before Covid. I attended a service at a PC(USA) church, and the pastor literally started dancing and saying that charity wasn't enough, and that we had to write to our representatives in Congress to raise everyone's taxes. I'm no Christian scholar, but I don't think Jesus was a big fan of large government nor thought it was a replacement for charity.

I've also been looking for churches with a healthy sized congregation which don't skew too elderly. Granted, that's been hard to estimate during Covid, since a lot of churches either close or encourage people to stay home.

I've been finding most services to be a little frustrating. It feels like no one wants to talk about anything, and are afraid of offending someone. Pastors will talk about Jesus being good, but they won't delve into what that means, nor how anyone should act in this world.

What should I be looking for in a church? What are some good questions I can ask the pastor to get a good sense of what they believe?
The best church you can go to is the one the Lord shows you, even if it doesn't look at all like the kind of church you expect.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The best church you can go to is the one the Lord shows you, even if it doesn't look at all like the kind of church you expect.
Back when I was Catholic, I’d periodically have reservations about my faith and checked out my current church a couple of times. I decided they were too conservative theologically and the worship style was too contemporary with the stage, electric guitars etc. I was drawn to it though, and after leaving Catholicism and checking out other churches I ended up there. The fact that it’s close to my house helped, too.

Upvote 0

Berl

Jan 22, 2018
Missoula
✟5,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

20And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. Your the temple not hand made that's fake.

Upvote 0

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everyone may have different criteria for what type of church they want, but for everyone you must start at the foundation of faith. What does the church believe? The first place we go is for a doctrinal statement or a mission/ 'what we believe' section. We then look for ministries and if we feel this may be our home church we will listen to a sermon (or prior to sermons being recorded within the last 5-10 years), would go to church proper. Do people seem happy to see you? Are you welcome (in normal times are they greeting you)? Does the pastor preach truth from the Bible? Some may look for churches close to them...others want a biblically conservative church but one that is also multi ethnic. Others may want a traditional worship service or contemporary. But scripture is the most important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First of all: seek a Bible-only fellowship and not some religious group centered around rituals, fun-times, but values "the priesthood" of all believers (see 1 Peter 2:5 & 9; etc.). Know and preach Jesus Christ as our Savior and the one to follow for everything! Write me anytime if you wish to chat about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First of all: seek a Bible-only fellowship and not some religious group centered around rituals, fun-times, but values "the priesthood" of all believers (see 1 Peter 2:5 & 9; etc.). Know and preach Jesus Christ as our Savior and the one to follow for everything! Write me anytime if you wish to chat about this.
Ok, thanks. I did more reading and a lot of my questions were answered so it’s all good now, and I’m staying put. Happy Easter to you and yours!

Upvote 0