Philadelphia
✟15,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I'm still new here. I would have posted this in one of the "Outreach" or "Debate" forums, but apparently I'm not allowed to post there for some reason.

I've been trying to find a church to attend, and I've visited a few around me.

I wasn't raised in a religious household, and almost never went to church as a kid, so it's all a bit new to me. I've been reading the KJ Bible on my own, and I'm nearly through it, although I won't pretend to understand it all.

I'd like to avoid the progressive/liberal mainstream denominations, since the ones I've visited near me are largely vacant and dying out, even before Covid. I attended a service at a PC(USA) church, and the pastor literally started dancing and saying that charity wasn't enough, and that we had to write to our representatives in Congress to raise everyone's taxes. I'm no Christian scholar, but I don't think Jesus was a big fan of large government nor thought it was a replacement for charity.

I've also been looking for churches with a healthy sized congregation which don't skew too elderly. Granted, that's been hard to estimate during Covid, since a lot of churches either close or encourage people to stay home.

I've been finding most services to be a little frustrating. It feels like no one wants to talk about anything, and are afraid of offending someone. Pastors will talk about Jesus being good, but they won't delve into what that means, nor how anyone should act in this world.

What should I be looking for in a church? What are some good questions I can ask the pastor to get a good sense of what they believe?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems you already have some idea of what God wants in a church.

So, welcome to Christian Forums :) and God bless you with all He means by His word, and this in sharing with His people whom He has you discover.

Depend on God, now, for all He desires to do with us.

If the church has a lot of elderly people but they are ministering to you how Jesus is and loves . . . this is what mature Christians can do. So, be appreciative of how God's mature people can do this while feeding you their example, including helping you discover how to relate with God and share in intimate relationships with people, including in marriage. Younger ones might not be strong in this, though growing in love.

Even so, younger Christians have God's ability to minister howsoever. Every child of God is with God to minister His own grace.

So appreciate, then, any moment to share with any child of God, anywhere, anytime, including in thinking of and praying for God's people. And with this you can discover whom you belong with . . . perhaps with some combination of people not all in the same church.

And in case you discover such ones like the one claiming to be PC . . . and perhaps is not, really . . . this can show us how a human even with education and awareness of God and the Bible might be capable of believing anything. And let this be humbling to us, ourselves, that we can be human enough, still, to fool our own selves and not have a clue we are doing so; and therefore we so need to depend on and trust God to take care of all that has to do with us >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Even if a church has real children of God, there can be the exact opposite there to test you. So, we need to be able to tell the difference, with God making us able.

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies," we have in Psalm 23:5. We can have all our Father pleases to share with us, right in the presence of any dangerous people, at all. But Jesus does take us to the garden :) and enjoying His fragrance, which we ourselves enjoy and spread while we love the way God's word says to love >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

God our Father shares His own Son with us, His very own in whom He is so pleased. So, feed on this, and discover with whom this has you sharing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sage50
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I'm still new here. I would have posted this in one of the "Outreach" or "Debate" forums, but apparently I'm not allowed to post there for some reason.

I wasn't raised in a religious household, and almost never went to church as a kid, so it's all a bit new to me. I've been reading the KJ Bible on my own, and I'm nearly through it, although I won't pretend to understand it all.

I'd like to avoid the progressive/liberal mainstream denominations, since the ones I've visited near me are largely vacant and dying out, even before Covid. I attended a service at a PC(USA) church, and the pastor literally started dancing and saying that charity wasn't enough, and that we had to write to our representatives in Congress to raise everyone's taxes. I'm no Christian scholar, but I don't think Jesus was a big fan of large government nor thought it was a replacement for charity.

I've also been looking for churches with a healthy sized congregation which don't skew too elderly. Granted, that's been hard to estimate during Covid, since a lot of churches either close or encourage people to stay home.

I've been finding most services to be a little frustrating. It feels like no one wants to talk about anything, and are afraid of offending someone. Pastors will talk about Jesus being good, but they won't delve into what that means, nor how anyone should act in this world.

What should I be looking for in a church? What are some good questions I can ask the pastor to get a good sense of what they believe?
I wait for confirmation. Pray and ask God to confirm the church where He wants you to be a member. The church might not be what you expect, but it will be what you need and what they need. A church is supposed to be a family and every member is important.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Check out the Christianity explored web site for churches in your area and again check out those churches web sites for details of the church and online services you can view.
Email the ministers of those churches you are interested in attending, final go and try them.
Look for friendliness, people talking to you, a clearly explained order of service, a biblically based message and evidence that they seek to practice what is being preached.

Be prepared to ask questions and to challenge people/preacher.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

There is a 'looking for a church' section that maybe this will eventually end up in.

You mentioned PCUSA. There is another kind of Presbyterian under the alphabet soup of PCA. More conservative, growing, younger. Much smaller and not everywhere.

You stuck this in non-denominational so maybe that's what you are really looking for? I donno.

I moved recently so I've been looking as well. I knew I would be choosing a Catholic Church, but even there it has been interesting due to Covid.

One excellent and very traditional parish tempted me until I began to figure out they had a lot of Covid deniers in their midst. I'll go back later maybe after I'm vaccinated. I've read their history and it's very positive. They have Hispanic and Vietnamese ministries. They do hymns and have lots of Latin in the liturgy. It all looks good. Except I'm not ready to bring Covid home.

Another is the Ordinariate parish, a bunch of Anglicans that became Catholic and took their church building with them. Great music, great homilies, small but engaging. They started up a school based on the principles of GK Chesterton. My wife says their service is too long. It's still on my list, at least for occasional visits. I'm not former Anglican but my grandfather was former Methodist so I could only be a guest as it really is for those with a much closer connection to Anglicanism than I have.

Then there is the Cathedral, with excellent music. We'll fit that in from time to time, mostly because my wife and I have grown to become liturgical music snobs. We were spoiled at our last parish.

The one we have gravitated to leans charismatic. Leans pretty heavily actually. The priest and the associate pastor preach the Gospel. They are a little bit corny but not too bad. The worship space is the least appealing of any of these four, which is hard to take. The music is also the least appealing. Both seem like they came out of the 1970's. But I don't think they are trapped in the 1970's. So for now that's the place. Being a liturgical music snob I will have to visit these other places from time to time, and that's OK.

Church hunting in times of Covid is strange. The on-line offerings help but in the end just don't cut it. Liturgy is intended to be done in person. Things are slowly opening up and going in person is again possible. But integrating into parish life is going to take some time. I used to have an hour at mu parish to pray, every Monday evening. But that disappeared in March. And they are slowly bringing that back here, but I'm not yet plugged in. Hopefully soon.

I hope you can find a place that isn't too political. A place where truth is spoken and honored. A place where God can be worshiped in glory and power. Let us know how it goes and what further issues you have.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @IndiaBravo, here are 2-3 links which may prove to be useful to you in your search for a church to join.

Also, here's a well-known book by Mark Dever and David Platt on this subject. This you would have to buy however.

I left the PC(USA) back in the 90's because the denomination had become so liberal (now it seems far more Unitarian than Christian :(). I left that church and am now part of the denomination known as Evangelical Free Church of America (it is very similar to Baptist churches).

If I was looking for a church, the very first question that I would ask its pastor (or look for in their Statement of Faith) is this one, does your church/denomination teach that the Bible is both the infallible and inerrant word of God? If his answer is no, I would move onto another church/denomination immediately (as a "no" answer to that question is the quickest way to rule out liberal churches, like the PC/USA), as liberal churches typically deny both the infallibility and inerrancy of the Bible, and who, in the case of the PC/USA, also walked away from the principle Presbyterian confession, The Westminster Confession of Faith, years ago (just FYI, there are Presbyterian denominations that are still conservative, such as the PCA (Presbyterian Church of America .. not to be confused with the PC/USA) and the OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church).

BTW, here's the SoP (Statement of Faith) from a non-denominational church in California. This is an example of the kind of SoP that you should be looking for in a church (whether the church is non-denominational or denominational).

Praying for you, that the Lord would lead you to the church that He wants you to be a part of.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

God bless you!!

--David

2 Timothy 3
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello, IndiaBravo! The question is entirely reasonable and important. However, answering it well...and in a few sentences is tough to do. There are a number of churches you could consider, but while I appreciate your wanting a spiritual, challenging, Scriptural church and not one that is in decline or absent any young people....

We don't have anything from you about doctrines and only a hint (in my opinion) of your wants when it comes to worship style. These do matter.

But in the meantime, I'd offer the following as suggestions of respected, conservative, Bible-centered churches (without regard for some of the differences that might matter to you but which I didn't pick up from your post) --

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Presbyterian Church in America
Southern Baptist Convention
Christian Reformed Church
Roman Catholic Church
Free Methodist Church
Reformed Episcopal Church

The list is only a "starter" of a suggestion. They vary widely in style and doctrine, and most denominations, not just these, vary somewhat from congregation to congregation. And there are also non-denominational churches. So do some 'reading up' on the different denominations in advance, check what is available where you live, and do some visiting.

Meanwhile, if you can give us some more info that would narrow or refine the suggestions, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟410,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I left the PC(USA) back in the 90's because the denomination had become so liberal (now it seems far more Unitarian than Christian :().

Hoo boy. I tried some of the local mainline services (UMC, PCUSA, ELCA, ABCUSA), and I didn't last long. There were certainly good people to be found, but the teachings... well, to say the least, they picked and chose a lot (furthermore, I attended Bible studies with a pastor who was big into the 'gnostic gospels'...). I had an abusive experience in a conservative church and it caused me to do some soul searching and explore mainline Christianity. I can't say I'm surprised by the decline in American mainline church membership (“Seven Sisters” of Mainline Protestantism Still Bleed Members - Juicy Ecumenism).

Lots of love for the folk in the mainline who aren't giving into the pitfalls. I imagine it must be difficult.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hoo boy. I tried some of the local mainline services (UMC, PCUSA, ELCA, ABCUSA), and I didn't last long. There were certainly good people to be found, but the teachings... well, to say the least, they picked and chose a lot (furthermore, I attended Bible studies with a pastor who was big into the 'gnostic gospels'...). I had an abusive experience in a conservative church and it caused me to do some soul searching and explore mainline Christianity. I can't say I'm surprised by the decline in American mainline church membership (“Seven Sisters” of Mainline Protestantism Still Bleed Members - Juicy Ecumenism).

Lots of love for the folk in the mainline who aren't giving into the pitfalls. I imagine it must be difficult.
Covid is doing a number on Christianity. Data from this year and next year will probably be astounding. I think things will really begin to shake out. Prayers for all of the good people shaken in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hoo boy. I tried some of the local mainline services (UMC, PCUSA, ELCA, ABCUSA), and I didn't last long. There were certainly good people to be found, but the teachings... well, to say the least, they picked and chose a lot (furthermore, I attended Bible studies with a pastor who was big into the 'gnostic gospels'...).
I had an abusive experience in a conservative church and it caused me to do some soul searching and explore mainline Christianity. I can't say I'm surprised by the decline in American mainline church membership (“Seven Sisters” of Mainline Protestantism Still Bleed Members - Juicy Ecumenism).

If you still have an interest, it might be worth mentioning that all the mainline denominations that you mentioned have experienced splits in recent years, and those smaller jurisdictions which resulted are, from what I can tell, much more like what you were seeking...and are not just shoestring operations, either. But unfortunately for them, they get very little publicity, such that many people do not know that they even exist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was looking for a church, I checked out several of them. One non-denom in particular has, three (I think) pastors but none of them had formal religious training. I think one of the pastors started school and quit.
Is this common for non- denominational churches? Is it even acceptable?

Upvote 0

TheWordIsOne101

Aug 19, 2020
USA
✟16,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Greeting :wave:
no need for an apology for the question is Just, everybody has his or her fist :scratch:
for me, I read first all of John's chapters to understand basic, to kinda understand the past to understand your future.
Everybody path or walk is not the same, as mine or anybody.
a pastor just minister the word, for us or anyone is to seek out walk with the Lord, in Romans

Romans 10:17 (KJV) So then faith comes by hearing (a pastor just minister the word) and reading as well as hearing by the word of God.
It like a suntan the more you read the more you shine :clap:

and I give these words
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept, Line upon line, line upon line, Here a little, there a little."

Isaiah 28:9 "Whom will he teach knowledge? And whom will he make to understand the message? Those just weaned from milk? Those just drawn from the breasts?

2 Peter 1:20-21 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke (the Saints) as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

1 John 2:26-27 (KJV) These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Luke 3:16 (KJV) John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

baptize is spiritual, not physical you must call out in prayer

Acts 2:4 (KJV) be
filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:1-4 (KJV) And when the day of Pentecost has fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

be filled with the Holy Ghost
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost
All those who cry out

:groupray:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was looking for a church, I checked out several of them. One non-denom in particular has, three (I think) pastors but none of them had formal religious training. I think one of the pastors started school and quit.
Is this common for non- denominational churches? Is it even acceptable?
Well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Still looking here. With COVID, I've been watching some online. I don't like the 15-20 minutes of singing that's called "worship" in most non-denoms and non-liturgical churches. I was a member of an IFB church until it got too political. I'm looking for solid preaching, a good women's ministry, a place where a widow is accepted.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still looking here. With COVID, I've been watching some online. I don't like the 15-20 minutes of singing that's called "worship" in most non-denoms and non-liturgical churches. I was a member of an IFB church until it got too political. I'm looking for solid preaching, a good women's ministry, a place where a widow is accepted.
Whats an IFB church?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still looking here. With COVID, I've been watching some online. I don't like the 15-20 minutes of singing that's called "worship" in most non-denoms and non-liturgical churches.
That’s all I’ve found, with the exception of a Catholic Mass but I don’t want to return to the RCC.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Independent Fundamental Baptist church.

I have no intention of returning to the RCC either.
Why did you leave the RCC? I went to a Catholic grade school and many of my classmates have left the Church.
I left from sheer boredom, homilies that we’re impersonal and horrible music.
Now I look forward to going to church, rather than just fulfilling an obligation.

Upvote 0