Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, I've never been to an Episcopal church before. Well, I've been in one for a funeral, but not for a regular service. What should I expect?

What are some of the basic beliefs of Episcopals such as Baptism, Eternal Security, Charismatic Movement, Role of Women, etc? Scriptural references are always nice, too!

I know almost all everyone outside of Episcopals hear is the issue of Gay Priests. Is that a common discussion from within?

How does Episcopal compare to Catholic?

That's all I have for now. I appreciate the responses. I'm not looking to debate, but genuinely looking to learn from those within the denomination vs looking it up on the internet or Wiki.

God Bless!

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome friend.

many of the basic beliefs af the Episcopal church can be found here

The issues you mentioned (gay priests and the role of women) are points of discussion here on a pretty regular basis, and on a wider scale are those that seem to divide us.

We share much with the Roman Catholic church, but diverge from them on issues such as Papal Infallibility and the requirement for clergy to remain celibate.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
There is a very good website called Peek through the Window, that lets you know what to expect when you go to a service at an Episcopal Church (USA).

Here it is: http://www.pttw.org/ , although I don't think it is fully working because it seems to have been hacked at some point.

Coming from an Evangelical Anglican background, I found that when I started going to an Episcopal church in the USA that:

• It was very welcoming - there was a welcome team eager to greet me, hand me various bits of paper, and show me a pew; after the service, I was greeted by many others who made a point of then finding people that I had something in common with to say hello to.
  • The service was very formal - people wore funny white robes, including those who read the lesson and the children who lit various candles (actually, the candles were new to me too).
  • The congregation was entertained by the choir rather a lot, and big emphasis was put on the qualifications of the music director (a paid position).
  • The sermon was short, and not necessarily related to the readings (of which there were many).
  • The structure of the service was the same each week.
  • There were many social programmes run by the church, but not very much in the way of edification.
  • Parties were excellent and very well oiled.
  • I was able to get involved in various ministries, and did not find it cliquey.
  • Overall, I had a love-hate relationship with my Ecusa church. It was wonderful socially, but really lacked spiritually (eg no bible studies or prayer meetings during the week). I found the liturgical music to be attractive, but hated the hymns (probably because they were 'foreign' hymns and not something dear to me), and really missed singing modern praise songs.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfIAm

Nov 10, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It has been awhile since I looked at this thread, so sorry to come in late.

I think I have noticed that there is not much in the way of edification as well. The local Episcopal church here has a website and they have the Sunday am service and that is it. What gives?

Do they usually have a children's church, something other than just babysitting? Small groups or Sunday School type classes?

You all mentioned the Papal Infallibility and Celibate priests as difference with RCC. Is that it? What about Purgatory, Infant Baptism, Confession, Intercession from Mary and the Saints, etc, etc?

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It has been awhile since I looked at this thread, so sorry to come in late.

I think I have noticed that there is not much in the way of edification as well. The local Episcopal church here has a website and they have the Sunday am service and that is it. What gives?

Do they usually have a children's church, something other than just babysitting? Small groups or Sunday School type classes?

You all mentioned the Papal Infallibility and Celibate priests as difference with RCC. Is that it? What about Purgatory, Infant Baptism, Confession, Intercession from Mary and the Saints, etc, etc?
Some parishes don't have super-duper websites, but that shouldn't put you off - it just may be that no one gifted in website design has come forward in that parish to do it. You would have to visit the church or telephone them to find out about children's church, Sunday School or small groups.

Regarding the other differences with the RCC, purgatory is not part of doctrine in the Anglican Communion. Infant baptism is acceptable and commonly done. Confession, apart from in the context of personal prayer, is usually a corporate event within the liturgy, and is also available privately with a priest if desired, but is not required. Intercession from Mary and the Saints varies according to the 'churchmanship' of the parish. Evangelical parishes do not incorporate that practice, and Anglo-catholic parishes do. Those parishes that are in the middle of those two (what we refer to as 'Broad church') - the practice varies. Does that help?

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfIAm

Nov 10, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some parishes don't have super-duper websites, but that shouldn't put you off - it just may be that no one gifted in website design has come forward in that parish to do it. You would have to visit the church or telephone them to find out about children's church, Sunday School or small groups.

Regarding the other differences with the RCC, purgatory is not part of doctrine in the Anglican Communion. Infant baptism is acceptable and commonly done. Confession, apart from in the context of personal prayer, is usually a corporate event within the liturgy, and is also available privately with a priest if desired, but is not required. Intercession from Mary and the Saints varies according to the 'churchmanship' of the parish. Evangelical parishes do not incorporate that practice, and Anglo-catholic parishes do. Those parishes that are in the middle of those two (what we refer to as 'Broad church') - the practice varies. Does that help?
I didn't mean the website was not helpful, actually it is quite detailed. I meant that the church only has Sunday am services and that is it. No mid-week service, no Sunday School or small groups, no mention of children's church, etc.

But, yes, the other stuff you answered is helpful!! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.