Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm doing some research on the denominations that preceded the United Methodist Church. The evolution of discipline within the Methodist Episcopal Church (North and South) is pretty well documented in their Doctrines and Discipline published every four years, but I haven't been able to find much on the Methodist Protestant Church. What documents similar to the Doctrines and Discipline should I be looking for?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
John Wesley is the father of the Methodist church. I don't believe John Wesley willed the denomination and the UMC is the offspring of Francis Asbury. Here in a letter to Francis Asbury....

LONDON
September 20, 1788

My Dear Brother:

There is, indeed, a wide difference between the relation wherein you stand to the Americans and the relation wherein I stand to all the Methodists. You are the elder brother of the American Methodists: I am under God the father of the whole family. Therefore I naturally care for you all in a manner no other persons can do. Therefore I in a measure provide for you all; for the supplies which Dr. Coke provides for you, he could not provide were it not for me, were it not that I not only permit him to collect but also support him in so doing.

But in one point, my dear brother, I am a little afraid both the Doctor and you differ from me. I study to be little: you study to be great. I creep; you strut along. I found a school: you a college! [Cokesbury College] nay, and call it after your own names! 0 beware, do not seek to be something! Let me be nothing, and "Christ be all in all!"

One instance of this, of your greatness, has given me great concern. How can you, how dare you suffer yourself to be called Bishop? I shudder, I start at the very thought! Men may call me a knave or a fool, a rascal, a scoundrel, and I am content; but they shall never by my consent call me Bishop! For my sake, for God's sake, for Christ's sake put a full end to this! Let the Presbyterians do what they please, but let the Methodists know their calling better.

Thus, my dear Franky, I have told you all that is in my heart. And let this, when I am no more seen, bear witness how sincerely I am Your affectionate friend and brother,

John Wesley

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
What is a Methodist? by John Wesley ...

1. We believe, indeed, that "all Scripture is given by the inspiration of God." We believe the written word of God to be the only and sufficient rule both of Christian faith and practice.

2. We do not place our religion, or any part of it, in being attached to any peculiar mode of speaking, any quaint or uncommon set of expressions.

3. Our religion does not lie in doing what God has not enjoined, or abstaining from what he hath not forbidden. It does not lie in the form of our apparel, in the posture of our body, or the covering of our heads; nor yet in abstaining from marriage, or from meats and drinks, which are all good if received with thanksgiving.

4. Nor, lastly, is he distinguished by laying the whole stress of religion on any single part of it

5. "What then is the mark? Who is a Methodist, according to your own account?" I answer: A Methodist is one who has "the love of God shed abroad in his heart by the Holy Ghost given unto him;" one who "loves the Lord his God with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his mind, and with all his strength. God is the joy of his heart, and the desire of his soul; which is constantly crying out, "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee! My God and my all! Thou art the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever!"

6. He is therefore happy in God, yea, always happy, as having in him "a well of water springing up into everlasting life," and overflowing his soul with peace and joy. "Perfect love" having now "cast out fear," he "rejoices evermore." He "rejoices in the Lord always," even "in God his Saviour;" and in the Father, "through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom he hath now received the atonement." "Having" found "redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of his sins," he cannot but rejoice, whenever he looks back on the horrible pit out of which he is delivered; when he sees "all his transgressions blotted out as a cloud, and his iniquities as a thick cloud." He cannot but rejoice, whenever he looks on the state wherein he now is; "being justified freely, and having peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." For "he that believeth, hath the witness" of this "in himself;" being now the son of God by faith. "Because he is a son, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into his heart, crying, Abba, Father!" And "the Spirit itself beareth witness with his spirit, that he is a child of God." He rejoiceth also, whenever he looks forward, "in hope of the glory that shall be revealed;" yea, this his joy is full, and all his bones cry out, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who, according to his abundant mercy, hath begotten me again to a living hope -- of an inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for me!"

7. And he who hath this hope, thus "full of immortality, in everything giveth thanks;" as knowing that this (whatsoever it is) "is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning him." From him, therefore, he cheerfully receives all, saying, "Good is the will of the Lord;" and whether the Lord giveth or taketh away, equally "blessing the name of the Lord." For he hath "learned, in whatsoever state he is, therewith to be content." He knoweth "both how to be abased and how to abound

8. For indeed he "prays without ceasing." It is given him "always to pray, and not to faint."

9. And while he thus always exercises his love to God, by praying without ceasing, rejoicing evermore, and in everything giving thanks, this commandment is written in his heart, "That he who loveth God, love his brother also." And he accordingly loves his neighbour as himself; he loves every man as his own soul. His heart is full of love to all mankind, to every child of "the Father of the spirits of all flesh

10. For he is "pure in heart." The love of God has purified his heart from all revengeful passions, from envy, malice, and wrath, from every unkind temper or malign affection. It hath cleansed him from pride and haughtiness of spirit, whereof alone cometh contention. And he hath now "put on bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering:" So that he "forbears and forgives, if he had a quarrel against any; even as God in Christ hath forgiven him." And indeed all possible ground for contention, on his part, is utterly cut off. For none can take from him what he desires; seeing he "loves not the world, nor" any of "the things of the world;" being now "crucified to the world, and the world crucified to him;" being dead to all that is in the world, both to "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life." For "all his desire is unto God, and to the remembrance of his name."

11. Agreeable to this his one desire, is the one design of his life, namely, "not to do his own will, but the will of Him that sent him." His one intention at all times and in all things is, not to please himself, but Him whom his soul loveth. He has a single eye. And because "his eye is single, his whole body is full of light." Indeed, where the loving eye of the soul is continually fixed upon God, there can be no darkness at all, "but the whole is light; as when the bright shining of a candle doth enlighten the house." God then reigns alone. All that is in the soul is holiness to the Lord. There is not a motion in his heart, but is according to his will. Every thought that arises points to Him, and is in obedience to the law of Christ.

12. And the tree is known by its fruits. For as he loves God, so he keeps his commandments; not only some, or most of them, but all, from the least to the greatest. He is not content to "keep the whole law, and offend in one point;" but has, in all points, "a conscience void of offence towards God and towards man."

13. All the commandments of God he accordingly keeps, and that with all his might. For his obedience is in proportion to his love, the source from whence it flows. And therefore, loving God with all his heart, he serves him with all his strength.

14. By consequence, whatsoever he doeth, it is all to the glory of God. His one invariable rule is this, "Whatsoever ye do, in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

15. Nor do the customs of the world at all hinder his "running the race that is set before him." He knows that vice does not lose its nature, though it becomes ever so fashionable; and remembers, that "every man is to give an account of himself to God." He cannot, therefore, "follow" even "a multitude to do evil." He cannot "fare sumptuously every day," or "make provision for the flesh to fulfill the lusts thereof." He cannot "lay up treasures upon earth," any more than he can take fire into his bosom. He cannot "adorn himself," on any pretence, "with gold or costly apparel." He cannot join in or countenance any diversion which has the least tendency to vice of any kind. He cannot "speak evil" of his neighbour, any more than he can lie either for God or man. He cannot utter an unkind word of any one; for love keeps the door of his lips. He cannot speak "idle words;" "no corrupt communication" ever "comes out of his mouth," as is all that "which is" not "good to the use of edifying," not "fit to minister grace to the hearers." But "whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are" justly "of good report," he thinks, and speaks, and acts, "adorning the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ in all things."

16. Lastly. As he has time, he "does good unto all men;" unto neighbours and strangers, friends and enemies: And that in every possible kind; not only to their bodies, by "feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting those that are sick or in prison;" but much more does he labour to do good to their souls, as of the ability which God giveth; to awaken those that sleep in death; to bring those who are awakened to the atoning blood, that, "being justified by faith, they may have peace with God;" and to provoke those who have peace with God to abound more in love and in good works.

17. These are the principles and practices of our sect; these are the marks of a true Methodist. By these alone do those who are in derision so called, desire to be distinguished from other men. If any man say, "Why, these are only the common fundamental principles of Christianity!" thou hast said; so I mean; this is the very truth; I know they are no other; and I would to God both thou and all men knew, that I, and all who follow my judgment, do vehemently refuse to be distinguished from other men, by any but the common principles of Christianity, -- the plain, old Christianity that I teach, renouncing and detesting all other marks of distinction. And having the mind that was in Christ, he so walks as Christ also walked.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John Wesley is the father of the Methodist church. I don't believe John Wesley willed the denomination
Good point.
---
I like stories..during the early days..
-the Methodist Movement.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟22,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All that has been said so far is probably true, and I don't doubt that later Methodism has abandoned many elements of theology that Wesley considered crucial.

But this thread is specifically about the Methodist Protestant Church. I'm trying to study what was going on in that denomination in the 19th century, because that's the one where the first example of women's "ordination" occurs. From what I've read the MP Church on a national level prohibited the practice and any instances of it prior to 1956 were violations of the Book of Discipline (or the equivalents in the earlier three denominations).

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
All that has been said so far is probably true, and I don't doubt that later Methodism has abandoned many elements of theology that Wesley considered crucial.

But this thread is specifically about the Methodist Protestant Church. I'm trying to study what was going on in that denomination in the 19th century, because that's the one where the first example of women's "ordination" occurs. From what I've read the MP Church on a national level prohibited the practice and any instances of it prior to 1956 were violations of the Book of Discipline (or the equivalents in the earlier three denominations).
The Methodist Protestant church... There are a lot of denominations that sprung from John Wesley Methodism! Now if you were to say the UMC Methodist then we would know you were speaking of an individual denomination started by Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke. John Wesley had nothing to do with starting another denomination.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟22,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Methodist Protestant church... There are a lot of denominations that sprung from John Wesley Methodism! Now if you were to say the UMC Methodist then we would know you were speaking of an individual denomination started by Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke.
It's a specific historical denomination that mostly reunited with the north and south Methodist Episcopal Church denominations in 1939: Methodist Protestant Church - Wikipedia

Those three denominations combined into The Methodist Church in 1939, then they combined with the Evangelical United Brethren in 1968 to form the UMC.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It's a specific historical denomination that mostly reunited with the north and south Methodist Episcopal Church denominations in 1939: Methodist Protestant Church - Wikipedia

Those three denominations combined into The Methodist Church in 1939, then they combined with the Evangelical United Brethren in 1968 to form the UMC.
I would imagine John Wesley grieving over the UMC over missing the point all together. I believe the early Methodist, including John Wesley, Anglican. The question of division from the Church of England was urged by some of his preachers and societies, but most strenuously opposed by his brother Charles. Wesley refused to leave the Church of England, believing that Anglicanism was "with all her blemishes, nearer the Scriptural plans than any other in Europe".

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would imagine John Wesley grieving over the UMC over missing the point all together. I believe the early Methodist, including John Wesley, Anglican. The question of division from the Church of England was urged by some of his preachers and societies, but most strenuously opposed by his brother Charles. Wesley refused to leave the Church of England, believing that Anglicanism was "with all her blemishes, nearer the Scriptural plans than any other in Europe".
It was so not Wesley's idea. To him, Methodism was a sort of discipleship plan to renew the Anglican Church. The main reason it ever became a denomination at all was a conflict between his teaching that only ordained people could consecrate the sacrament and the reality that in the American colonies traveling back to England to get ordained was not exactly an option at the time! He was forced to break several of his own rules to accommodate that problem in the American colonies, such as consecrating his own bishops to go to America.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not only did John Wesley refuse to leave the Anglican church, he would not allow the Methodists to break away until after his (or maybe his and Charles') death.

There have been other movements which broke away from their founders' church, e.g the Salvation Army. William Booth was a Methodist Minister.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It was so not Wesley's idea. To him, Methodism was a sort of discipleship plan to renew the Anglican Church. The main reason it ever became a denomination at all was a conflict between his teaching that only ordained people could consecrate the sacrament and the reality that in the American colonies traveling back to England to get ordained was not exactly an option at the time! He was forced to break several of his own rules to accommodate that problem in the American colonies, such as consecrating his own bishops to go to America.

The sad truth is the English left the American colonies largely bereft of episcopal oversight, and with very little missionary activity. That's why Episcopalianism has always been a small denomination in the US, and the Methodist church at one time was relatively large.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The sad truth is the English left the American colonies largely bereft of episcopal oversight, and with very little missionary activity. That's why Episcopalianism has always been a small denomination in the US, and the Methodist church at one time was relatively large.
At the same time, the colonies were not exactly welcoming to English episcopal oversight as well...

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not only did John Wesley refuse to leave the Anglican church, he would not allow the Methodists to break away until after his (or maybe his and Charles') death.

There have been other movements which broke away from their founders' church, e.g the Salvation Army. William Booth was a Methodist Minister.
As was Phineas Bresee who founded the Church of the Nazarene, as well as B.T. Roberts who founded the Free Methodist Church. There were a large number of Methodist spinoffs during the postbellum era in the US. The Salvation Army was conceived as a parachurch organization, but the rejection of many of its converts by the Methodist establishment forced them to evolve into a church.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟22,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics