What Stupak sold out for

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
it is speculation, and even the website does not know the answer....another misleading thread title.

CODE RED!!!!!

looks like that deal watch blog failed.

Even if it were true, which I suspect it is not, the law was still passed....

sorry republicans, I guess you could not say "no" loud enough.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

CODE RED!!!!!

looks like that deal watch blog failed.

Even if it were true, which I suspect it is not, the law was still passed....

sorry republicans, I guess you could not say "no" loud enough.

We said no loud enough, but we all know what happens when the jury is bribed. Money is the root of all evil, and it is the only reason Obamacare passed.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
We said no loud enough, but we all know what happens when the jury is bribed. Money is the root of all evil, and it is the only reason Obamacare passed.

I am sensing a subliminal message in the text......

;)

bribed jury? more nonsense....

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

There was surely enough arm-twisting to dislocate a few joints! In all seriousness, the way this went down is appalling. I'd be ashamed if I were a Dem.

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
From Colorado, currently in the UK
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There was surely enough arm-twisting to dislocate a few joints! In all seriousness, the way this went down is appalling.
If you placate someone by offering them something in return, that's not really arm twisting. Arm twisting is when you threaten someone with something to vote in a certain way. For example "If you vote for health care, we're gonna practically boot you out of the party"

Being offered what you consider to be a reasonable deal in return for you vote? Yeah, that's politics. It's messy, and it frequently doesn't represent the best interests of the constituents, but don't try and pretend that this isn't how our system has worked for decades.
I'd be ashamed if I were a Dem.
So would the Dems ;)

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you placate someone by offering them something in return, that's not really arm twisting. Arm twisting is when you threaten someone with something to vote in a certain way. For example "If you vote for health care, we're gonna practically boot you out of the party"
Or, "if you don't vote for the bill, we won't support you in your next re-election campaign."

Tell me that didn't happen!

Being offered what you consider to be a reasonable deal in return for you vote? Yeah, that's politics. It's messy, and it frequently doesn't represent the best interests of the constituents, but don't try and pretend that this isn't how our system has worked for decades.

So would the Dems ;)
Indeed. But it's rather pathetic when one must do this to one's own party members! Usually this is done to achieve bi-partisan support, not to convince your own members.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All phony anyways. Why be in a party funded by Tim Gill, George Soros, NOW, NARAL and Emily's List if you are pro-life? Every financial interest behind the party is not just moderately pro-choice but intensely so. Obvious how important it is to the left as they could have avoided the abortion question entirely in this bill. But no...they had to push it in the face of everyone, right now, right now...let everyone see what faction is in charge. Stupak and the rest of them aren't stupid. They know the history of the "progressives" who run the Democratic party. They know the ultimate goals. They know how everytime "progressives" get power, the story is exactly the same.

Reactions: HerbieHeadley
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, the bill provides no funding for abortion. It even says that in the funding. So Stupak didn't "sell out" for anything.

Secondly, Republicans were legally and duly outvoted in the House. The fact that they are unhappy with that result doesn't change the legality of the result.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Stupak took all the faith I ever had that there was such a thing as a Pro-Life dem.
He crushed me. C-Span did not even show his name as he was speaking.

Maybe Catholics who voted for Casey will get a clue. Yeah you can get your "social justice" Democrat in there who says he is pro-life but the bottom line is the party is pro-choice and the Caseyd and the Stupaks, even if they are sincere, will never accomplish one thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Firstly, the bill provides no funding for abortion. It even says that in the funding. So Stupak didn't "sell out" for anything.
Indeed. No funding to go to an abortion clinic directly. However, and this was the problem all along, federal tax money is to supplement those who cannot afford the premiums. These premiums can buy insurance policies which do cover abortions. Hence, taxes & therefore federal money can go to fund abortions.

Secondly, Republicans were legally and duly outvoted in the House. The fact that they are unhappy with that result doesn't change the legality of the result.
Ringo
No one is questioning the "legality" of the bill per se. Some are questioning the constitutionality of the bill, i.e. congress' power to force, or mandate, all people to buy insurance. With the only qualification of being a "person" is you breath and sit on your couch (not you personally, but 'you' in general).

There's much debate already regarding this, somewhere else. The OP is really about Rep. Stupak's about-face on his supposed pro-life stand, based on a promise of an executive order, which can be superceded by another executive order.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe Catholics who voted for Casey will get a clue. Yeah you can get your "social justice" Democrat in there who says he is pro-life but the bottom line is the party is pro-choice and the Caseyd and the Stupaks, even if they are sincere, will never accomplish one thing.

Concerning abortion, neither will Republicans. Their schtick is to keep the issue boiling so they can harvest votes.

Upvote 0