What should you do if a sermon or service has something unbiblical or inappropriate?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,007.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was at a Latin SDA church and they brought up a family to dedicate their daughter, but some Latins have what is call 'Quinceañera' or the equavalent of 'sweet sixteen' celebration. Well they do the dedication and then start to sing a obvious song of 'Quinceañera' or 'sweet sixteen' style and as my spanish is terrible I didnt catch it at first so turned to my wife and she didnt think it was correct either. What should be done when a sermon or service has something unbliblical or inappropriate?

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was at a Latin SDA church and they brought up a family to dedicate their daughter, but some Latins have what is call 'Quinceañera' or the equavalent of 'sweet sixteen' celebration. Well they do the dedication and then start to sing a obvious song of 'Quinceañera' or 'sweet sixteen' style and as my spanish is terrible I didnt catch it at first so turned to my wife and she didnt think it was correct either. What should be done when a sermon or service has something unbliblical or inappropriate?

Unbiblical and inappropriate are two different things.

Unbiblical would be like singing happy birthday to someone during the announcements from the pulpit. Just because it's not found in the Bible doesn't make it wrong as long as its not being promoted as something biblically required.

Something inappropriate would have to be something that shocks the conscience in a moral sense. I'm not sure what a 'sweet sixteen' celebration is but if it's based on the age of concent, regarding sexual relations, than that would be inappropriate.

I personally have a problem with making abstaining from jewelry, wine and dancing a requirement for baptism. These things are not sinful in themselves so they should not be made a required for baptism. Now once a person is baptized then it can be a personal choice to abstain based on personal convictions as to what a conservative Christian should look like in modest apparel and behavior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have heard a lot of doctrine preached in SDA churches which I think is harmful and wrong. Doctrine such as last generation perfection theology/etc.

If it is a visiting preacher, I just bear it.

If it is something I consider small, I just bear it.

If it was something I thought was major, by the pastor of the church, I would either leave or say something (and than probably leave).

Generally at least one of the older elders have beleifs which are damaging, but unless it is every one or I see him damaging with that belief I don't say anything.

JM

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I got up and walk out of a Pentecostal church years ago, when a woman speaking in 'tongues' announced (via what she claimed was the Holy Spirit), that the audulterous relationship her married daughter and a equally married man were involved in was, and I quote, "ORDAINED OF GOD'!!

Yep--in disgust I got up--walked out of that church and the pentecostal religion and never looked back!

So if what you witness in a church is part of their belief system and it's bibically wrong--then LEAVE THAT CHURCH.

But if the church's foundational teachings are biblical and the pastor or an elder delivers a sermon that is not in line with that, then as the bible demands, go to him personally and ask him to recant his error. If he refuses, then take 2 brethren with you and do the same. If he refuses, disfellowship him.

If it's an inappropriate action, like a skit or drama in the sanctuary or something heinous like that, then do the same procedure.

Upvote 0

cesty

Philippians 4:19
Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
✟8,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a guest speaker who holds a high position within the church; he gave a sermon one Sabbath during Black History Month, wherein he essentially emphasized how wrong it was for whites to enslave blacks. While I agree that this was wrong, I don't think he needed to spend more than 20 minutes doing it. He even went so far as to assume that Lincoln merely freed the slaves for political reasons. Thus implying that he really didn't do it because he cared about them.

The whole time I was there I was hoping that he would talk about Jesus. Finally, out of frustration I got up and left the church, as he basically made me feel like a piece of white trash. My wife also left in tears. Sadly, the pastor of the church didn't even do a thing to try to correct the problem.

I usually don't like to talk about this kind of stuff; but I figured that it would be a good example of what would justify walking out of a church during a sermon. Personally, I think that the person who gave the sermon should be fired; and the pastor should be given counsel on what it means to take charge of a church, and to show compassion for its members. If that was my church I would have told the speaker to sit down; and I wouldn't care that he was my employer either.

I understand that Black History Month is important to people. However, the pulpit is not the place to emphasize faults of the past; rather, it is where we are supposed to hear the Truth as it is in Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trubeautie

Salaam-e-Ishq
Feb 7, 2009
TN
✟7,814.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It depends on the situation...

Honestly, I find nothing wrong with a "Quinceañera dedication." It is recognized as a time when a girl becomes a woman, so what a wonderful time for her to be dedicated to the Lord.

Were the words of the song offensive in any way?

Upvote 0

trubeautie

Salaam-e-Ishq
Feb 7, 2009
TN
✟7,814.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There was a guest speaker who holds a high position within the church; he gave a sermon one Sabbath during Black History Month, wherein he essentially emphasized how wrong it was for whites to enslave blacks. While I agree that this was wrong, I don't think he needed to spend more than 20 minutes doing it. He even went so far as to assume that Lincoln merely freed the slaves for political reasons. Thus implying that he really didn't do it because he cared about them.

The whole time I was there I was hoping that he would talk about Jesus. Finally, out of frustration I got up and left the church, as he basically made me feel like a piece of white trash. My wife also left in tears. Sadly, the pastor of the church didn't even do a thing to try to correct the problem.

I usually don't like to talk about this kind of stuff; but I figured that it would be a good example of what would justify walking out of a church during a sermon. Personally, I think that the person who gave the sermon should be fired; and the pastor should be given counsel on what it means to take charge of a church, and to show compassion for its members. If that was my church I would have told the speaker to sit down; and I wouldn't care that he was my employer either.

I understand that Black History Month is important to people. However, the pulpit is not the place to emphasize faults of the past; rather, it is where we are supposed to hear the Truth as it is in Jesus.

Lincoln was an abolitionist. A number of abolitionists were actually racist and separatist. The preacher was correct about Lincoln. American history is often painted in a way that goes smoothly into the ears of the majority. The truth, however, is often quite contrary to the common story.

In the words of Lincoln himself:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, "Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois" (September 18, 1858), pp. 145-146.

I do apologize if you and your wife had to hear the truth about Lincoln from the pulpit, but Lincoln's actions were not based on caring for the African man or woman. However, you or your wife should not feel guilty as those actions were not your own. You are only responsible for your own thoughts and actions. All in all, understanding the past can help us to understand the present and take proper action in the future. Understanding of the Holy Scriptures is a prime example...

Upvote 0

cesty

Philippians 4:19
Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
✟8,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lincoln was an abolitionist. A number of abolitionists were actually racist and separatist. The preacher was correct about Lincoln. American history is often painted in a way that goes smoothly into the ears of the majority. The truth, however, is often quite contrary to the common story.

In the words of Lincoln himself:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, "Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois" (September 18, 1858), pp. 145-146.

I do apologize if you and your wife had to hear the truth about Lincoln from the pulpit, but Lincoln's actions were not based on caring for the African man or woman. However, you or your wife should not feel guilty as those actions were not your own. You are only responsible for your own thoughts and actions. All in all, understanding the past can help us to understand the present and take proper action in the future. Understanding of the Holy Scriptures is a prime example...

Thank you for sharing those quotes with me. It certainly helps me to see things differently about Lincoln.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,007.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the situation...

Honestly, I find nothing wrong with a "Quinceañera dedication." It is recognized as a time when a girl becomes a woman, so what a wonderful time for her to be dedicated to the Lord.

Were the words of the song offensive in any way?

Ah, very good question, I thought the dedication was very nice as I rarely see it in 'Anglo' churches. But when he started to sing the song I immeadiately recognize the style as a "You are so beatiful" type of song with all the motions you would see at a "Quinceañera" or even Las Vegas, Dean Martin show, for those of you know who he was. So no, the words were not 'offensive', but I didnt expect a Dean Martin special between Sabbath School and Church service and talking to the members later, they had that emberrased look that told me they knew it wasnt proper...........:o

Upvote 0

trubeautie

Salaam-e-Ishq
Feb 7, 2009
TN
✟7,814.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, very good question, I thought the dedication was very nice as I rarely see it in 'Anglo' churches. But when he started to sing the song I immeadiately recognize the style as a "You are so beatiful" type of song with all the motions you would see at a "Quinceañera" or even Las Vegas, Dean Martin show, for those of you know who he was. So no, the words were not 'offensive', but I didnt expect a Dean Martin special between Sabbath School and Church service and talking to the members later, they had that emberrased look that told me they knew it wasnt proper...........:o

Oh ok, I understand better now. The issue is not necessarily the Quinceañera dedication but the song that was sung meanwhile. Maybe it is best to mention something quietly to the pastor but certainly not make a huge deal out of it as yet.

Upvote 0