What Should the Bible Be Like?

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
So your standard "I don't believe in things that I cannot perceive" is applied in a way that suits your interests. This shows that you're not interested in the truth, strictly speaking, but in crafting a philosophy that fits with your understanding of your interests. No problem with that?
I have no problem with that. I understand how you might see it that way, but my philosophy involves a scale of degrees, rather than seeing things in a black or white, either/or fashion.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with that. I understand how you might see it that way, but my philosophy involves a scale of degrees, rather than seeing things in a black or white, either/or fashion.

Yes. It seems that there are things that you are more interested in being true and less interested in being true. And you are inclined to believe in the things that you are more interested in. The only problem I see with that is that it will lead you to become disconnected from reality!

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yes. It seems that there are things that you are more interested in being true and less interested in being true. And you are inclined to believe in the things that you are more interested in. The only problem I see with that is that it will lead you to become disconnected from reality!
No, I am inclined to believe in things I have experience with.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What's wrong with that? It's not a place, it's cessation from suffering. It's something I can experience in the here-and-now in increasing degrees, unlike eternal life.

Not criticizing, I just felt like Tree of Life walked into the Buddhist definition without realizing it.

Upvote 0