Babylon
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would really like suggestions on Christian career choices. After studying the Word of God for 15 years, I know a lot of scripture but I don't have a degree in this field. Is that necessary? You tell me. What are some non-degree and degree career options within the body of Christ? Curious. Thought this would be a great place to post it.

You don't need a degree to be a missionary.
"Pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you."

Peace.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I WANT to go to college. I want to be a baptist preacher too. Thanks for the advice and information. I had a problem choosing my field at one point too. This is helpful info for anyone else choosing this career path.

What kind of requirements do they have for Baptist preachers?

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Got off phone with mother last night and she said my older sister's become more receptive to Jesus Christ bc of how I witnessed to her. I thought that was a huge blessing. To paraphrase, she said that she's used to the stereotypical judgmental Christian who criticizes her for a lack of faith, but when I got on the phone with her she gradually changed her mind and is now seriously considering converting. She also said she really appreciated my approach to things. That's awesome testimony that I thought I'd share. Speak the Word in kindness and love and never forget you are always on. Pass it on. God bless.

That's great. :)

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You know what just occurred to me by looking back on this post? There really were times I had to readily acknowledge within myself that I just wasn't ready. Maybe I'm summing up my words too much here but simply bc I prayed and prayed and prayed for this, doesn't mean opportunities weren't presented to me over the years... No. In fact, I mentioned a lot of them on my blog. My calling was revealed to me plenty of times. For instance, I planned to go to seminary straight out of high school or I was offered a high standing position in the church bc someone saw something in me, etc. but then I felt pride and ego enter the picture as soon as I entertained these notions and that's when I would say to the Lord. Can't go any further. Please don't reveal anything unto me about my calling until I can remain absolutely humble first. Christ said that is good and then He left. Acknowledging when you aren't ready is humility within itself. Wanting to evolve and mature into a well rounded human being in order to be a superb shepherd is a good thing.

Apart from the crowd, I continued to work on myself and the process took 12-15 years and A LOT of trial and error and a heap load of drama and misfortune and disbelief and doubt and passing and failing GOD's tests and tears and anger and frustration and walking away from GOD and vowing never to be a Christian again type stuff...everybody's been there I'm sure...and then NEXT thing I know I look up and that season is over. It is all behind me now. So many things turned around in my life in the blink of an eye (something the prophet I mentioned earlier in this thread told me would happen...he actually prophesied that a lot of this stuff would occur and it did) and it all manifested for my good. Christ came to me and said, I got my key back...I got my key back...Hun? What do you mean you got your key back?...I got you back in my life...Now you are ready to serve...Every moment has a season. Food for thought.

So, you're saying that you think that you're ready now, to start your role in fulfilling God's plan to become a minister? Do you think that He wants you to become a minister in a mega-church right now, or do you think that you will start somewhere smaller?

I'm not familiar of any Baptist mega-churches, but I kind of imagine that being a minister in one might be kind of difficult. However, I wouldn't know too much about it. I hope that you have a good plan on what you're going to do in order to achieve your goal.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You don't need a degree to be a missionary.
"Pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you."

Peace.

She might need a degree to be a preacher, though. At least, she needs to go to seminary.

Her goal is to become a Baptist preacher, and going to school for it would get her to her goal.

But, maybe becoming a missionary would help her later on in becoming a Baptist preacher?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And according to other passages in the Bible, Christ isn't the only one with that capability.

Christ was resurrected not reincarnated. He is THE INCARNATION, He is and was God in flesh. Those who believe in Him and the power of His cross and the promise of His resurrection will be resurrected with a NEW body (same spirit) in glorified form. Resurrection is the theme of the bible not reincarnation, why are you still trying to further these eastern mystic ideals?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sos, nothing you said addressed anything I said. I personally don't know who Ezekiel was referring to in this passage: Ezekiel 34:23-24 23I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. 24 I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the LORD have spoken. But some scholars have said he is referring to Jesus Christ. So this statement: Christ was resurrected not reincarnated, might not be entirely true.

The verse is a prophetic passage concerning the future incarnation of Christ as the SEED of David promised from the beginning of the fall of Adam.

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." (Genesis 3:15)

"Does not the Scripture say that the Christ will come from David's family and from Bethlehem, the town where David lived?" (John 7:42)

"Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh" (Romans 1:3)

"Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel," (2 Timothy 2:8)

That is a interesting statement by Paul: "This IS my gospel"...which gospel is yours?

Here's more: Bible and Library Search: seed of David

Who knows. I don't care to bandy about absolutes anymore simply bc I am a Christian. Regardless, I see nothing wrong with any of it.

...OK, Christianity is a religion of absolutes! Jesus is absolutely God, Jesus absolutely died for man's sin, Jesus absolutely rose from the dead. Christianity without absolutes is absolutely not Christianity.

Plus, this passage is ultimately saying David will return in one capacity or another so to say reincarnation is strictly an eastern mystic philosophy that wasn't spoken of in the Bible is purely incorrect.

In context and based on further scriptural revelation, the passage is speaking of the "SEED of David": Jesus Christ.

According to my teacher, who is a professor mind you (whereas you are not),

Am I supposed to be impressed? Your professor is wrong and a heretic (there are many in the colleges), liberal theology is nothing new and it was heresy before and it is heresy now.

a lot of the books of the bible were edited (like in the case with Daniel) and centuries later he said a lot of it is anyone's guess for the most part.

Is that right? well you give me some evidence of this and I will refute it. People have been bashing the inerrancy of scripture for YEARS and your "new" views on the bible are not "new" under the sun. I'm sure whatever your professor is proposing can easily be refuted by the evidence (archaeological, reasonable, scriptural and historical).

I see nothing wrong with that either. That was the main objective behind everything I was saying. I was just encouraging others to be individuals instead of conform in order to appease others.

You are encouraging heresy.

This is the same aggression that arises when some don't want to accept the fact that scripture shows some men and women did see the face of God and lived to write about it even though in an earlier passage God said no one can see my face and live. It happened despite that warning.

God revealed Himself in a manner that man was able to bare in man's natural state, most orthodox scholars believe that this manner (Person) was as the Son of God (Man) Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I would really like suggestions on Christian career choices. After studying the Word of God for 15 years, I know a lot of scripture but I don't have a degree in this field. Is that necessary? You tell me. What are some non-degree and degree career options within the body of Christ? Curious. Thought this would be a great place to post it.

Be a nun.

Upvote 0

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sos, nothing you said addressed anything I said. I personally don't know who Ezekiel was referring to in this passage: [FONT=&quot]Ezekiel 34:23-24 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]23I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David[/FONT][FONT=&quot], and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. 24 I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the LORD have spoken. But some scholars have said he is referring to Jesus Christ. So this statement: [/FONT]Christ was resurrected not reincarnated, might not be entirely true.
The verse is a prophetic passage concerning the future incarnation of Christ as the SEED of David promised from the beginning of the fall of Adam.
That’s not actually what that verse states verbatim. That’s simply your personal spin on that passage which is inaccurate imo and it is similar to the argument many have when it comes to John the Baptist. Even though Malachi 4:5 and Jesus Christ clearly state otherwise, many point to passages in the NT and say JB wasn’t the incarnated spirit of Prophet Elijah. He only resembled the man in essence and spirit. Oh...k. It is only one opinion in a sea of many. That’s the gist of what I’ve been getting at in these past few posts, but it seems like you continue to overlook this point, bc you seem to want to debate this as if there is a battle to be won or lost here when there isn’t.

As I stated earlier, my professor said there are many varying perceptions – amongst scholars/theologies/professors etc - on everything contained in the Bible, so the fact that you posted one link (Here's more: Bible and Library Search: seed of David) and feel that represents the totality of all Christian mindsets proves you’ve missed my point. What you personally deem heresy another Christian will view as legitimate – like now. You aren’t swaying my vote and I am not trying to sway your vote.
...OK, Christianity is a religion of absolutes! Jesus is absolutely God, Jesus absolutely died for man's sin, Jesus absolutely rose from the dead. Christianity without absolutes is absolutely not Christianity.
There really aren’t a lot of absolutes in Christianity. This post proves it. All you’re doing is offering up an opinion (which other scholars or people hold but there are plenty of other scholars that would disagree with you). Nothing more. I’m all right with you voicing your opinion.
In context and based on further scriptural revelation, the passage is speaking of the "SEED of David": Jesus Christ.
No. Realize that you, SOS, are adding in the “SEED of” part when it comes to Ezekiel 34. I’ll take my scripture exactly “as is”. You, like all the other scholars you could point to, are free to interpret it, change it, reword it, and reinvent it any way you’d like. Everyone has that freedom according to my professor. There are really no "official" answers to a lot of these questions, so just bc you feel this viewpoint works for you doesn't mean the rest of the world has to see it that way or else they are all "wrong". Just the opposite is true. No one's really wrong since we are all thousands of years removed from the actual events. None of us can say what actually did or did not happen. However, I do believe these were actual people in history but that understanding doesn't suit everybody either. So be it. Regardless, your spin on things still doesn't explain away (since to me, that's all it looks like you are attempting to do here) Job 1:21, Luke 9:19, [FONT=&quot]Ezekiel 34:23-24, Malachi 4:5, 1 Samuel 2:6, [/FONT]Matthew 17:10-13, etc. If you want to start down this road, you have your work cut out for you.
According to my teacher, who is a professor mind you (whereas you are not),
Am I supposed to be impressed? Your professor is wrong and a heretic (there are many in the colleges), liberal theology is nothing new and it was heresy before and it is heresy now.
:yawn1:

a lot of the books of the bible were edited (like in the case with Daniel) and centuries later he said a lot of it is anyone's guess for the most part.
Is that right? well you give me some evidence of this and I will refute it. People have been bashing the inerrancy of scripture for YEARS and your "new" views on the bible are not "new" under the sun. I'm sure whatever your professor is proposing can easily be refuted by the evidence (archaeological, reasonable, scriptural and historical).

The most overt example of this is found in the differences between the Catholic and Christian Bibles. There’s no one universal Bible – period. Catholic & Protestant Bibles - Catholic Bible Study Notice the last statement in this excerpt.

The Catholic Church has always considered these books as inspired and of the same rank as the other Old Testament books. Her attitude is based upon the following facts:

1) The Apostles and New Testament writers quoted principally the Septuagint. In fact, of the three hundred and fifty Old Testament quotations found in the New Testament, about three hundred are taken from the Septuagint. *But seven of these books were removed from the Hebrew bible. Solomon’s book of wisdom was primarily removed bc of this verse: Book of Wisdom 8:19-20 19 I was a boy of happy disposition, I had received a good soul as my lot, 20 or rather, being good, I had entered an undefiled body...Yet, here are some of the NT verses which Paul and other apostles quoted from that book: The New Testament writers appear perfectly familiar with this deutero-canonical writing (cf. Matthew 27:42-43, with Wisdom 2:13-18; Romans 11:34, with Wisdom 9:13; Ephesians 6:13-17, with Wisdom 5:18-19; Hebrews 1:3, with Wisdom 7:26; etc. It is true that to justify their rejection of the Book of Wisdom from the Canon, many Protestants have claimed that in 8:19-20, its author admits the error of the pre-existence of the human soul. But this incriminated passage, when viewed in the light of its context, yields a perfectly orthodox sense.

2) Some of the New Testament writers made use of the additional books themselves, particularly of the Book of Wisdom, which seems to have been St. Paul's favorite volume. The Epistle of St. James - to take another example - shows an acquaintance with the Book of Ecclesiasticus. If the Apostles and New Testament writers used some of the additional books, did they not thereby approve the entire Septuagint collection? Ponder that when you ask this question: That is an interesting statement by Paul: "This IS my gospel"...which gospel is yours?

3) The additional books were accepted in the Church from the beginning. The Epistle of Pope Clement, written before the end of the first century, makes use of Ecclesiasticus and Wisdom, gives an analysis of the book of Judith, and quotes from the additional sections of the book of Esther. The same is true of other early Christian writers.

4) The oldest Christian Bibles in existence (Codex Vaticanus, etc.) contain the additional books intermingled with the rest, just as we find them in the Catholic Bibles today.

5) The oldest Christian lists of Biblical books contain the additional books. In 382 Pope Damasus in a Roman Council issued a formal list of Old and New Testament books and the list contains the same books as we have in our Bibles.

6) Finally, Christian art of the first four centuries - especially that found in the catacombs and cemeteries - furnishes among others the following illustrations from the additional books: Tobias with the fish (Tobias 6), Susanna (Daniel 13), Daniel and the dragon (Daniel 14), the angel with the three children in the fiery furnace (Daniel 3:49), Habacuc and Daniel in the lion's den (Daniel 14:35).

In conclusion, let us point out that since they follow the synagogue in their rejection of the additional books of the Old Testament, the Protestants should in all logic follow it in its rejection of the New Testament and of Christ Himself.
I see nothing wrong with that either. That was the main objective behind everything I was saying. I was just encouraging others to be individuals instead of conform in order to appease others.
You are encouraging heresy.
:yawn1: You bandy about labels as if that’s suppose to leave me shook. Try to hold a conversation as a mature adult. You aren’t the “heresy police” and you can’t get anyone arrested simply bc they voice an opinion contrary to yours.
This is the same aggression that arises when some don't want to accept the fact that scripture shows some men and women did see the face of God and lived to write about it even though in an earlier passage God said no one can see my face and live. It happened despite that warning.
God revealed Himself in a manner that man was able to bare in man's natural state, most orthodox scholars believe that this manner (Person) was as the Son of God (Man) Jesus Christ.
What’s the point? How did this address anything from the statement you quoted? It will have to end here for me. Little else is going to be accomplished here. You want to debate and carry on, however, I was posting these examples and encouraging words to help others, who are struggling with their Christian faith, find peace of mind and comfort in their individuality. Again, you can’t bully me into conforming to your particular perception of Christianity. I can hand pick a dozen other scholars who would oppose your views (in fact, my teacher would be one of them, so the score is 1 to 1. Who cares?). Debating this matter wasn’t my objective. If you want to pick a fight, visit one of the other sub-forums. Not interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I stated earlier, my professor said there are many varying perceptions – amongst scholars/theologies/professors etc - on everything contained in the Bible...There really aren’t a lot of absolutes in Christianity.... There are really no "official" answers to a lot of these questions, so just bc you feel this viewpoint works for you doesn't mean the rest of the world has to see it that way or else they are all "wrong". Just the opposite is true. No one's really wrong since we are all thousands of years removed from the actual events. None of us can say what actually did or did not happen.

This comeback isn't directed at anybody in particular, however, in an earnest attempt to breed civility and open-mindedness I thought I would post images from my school textbook (Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey) in order to demonstrate that diverse perceptions on scripture weren't comprised by a bunch of ignorant heretics that didn't know what they were talking about. In fact, just the opposite is true in most cases.

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

l0v3n

I have some career advice. No one can tell you what you should be doing for a living. Live your life for yourself and not for others. God gave you free will to choose and would tell you otherwise if you were going the wrong way. I like this bit of career advice from Ira Glass, a radio talk show host of This American Life, says to recently graduated college students who are seeking an epiphany to their career woes.

"I feel like your problem is that you’re trying to judge all these things in the abstract before you do them, and that’s your tragic mistake." Get out there and explore. Life is short. Have fun!!

Upvote 0

arj1981

Dec 17, 2003
✟1,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have some career advice. No one can tell you what you should be doing for a living. Live your life for yourself and not for others. God gave you free will to choose and would tell you otherwise if you were going the wrong way. I like this bit of career advice from Ira Glass, a radio talk show host of This American Life, says to recently graduated college students who are seeking an epiphany to their career woes.

"I feel like your problem is that you’re trying to judge all these things in the abstract before you do them, and that’s your tragic mistake." Get out there and explore. Life is short. Have fun!!

Thanks for the quote. That's really good advice! Never looked at it that way. You are right about that. God will tell me if I am doing something wrong.

Upvote 0