Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I accepted Jesus about 4 months ago and am struggling to figure out what I should do to live a more Christian life. The problem is most of the things that I can think of are things I was doing when I didnt believe in God or Jesus. I was already a regular volunteer at a christian homeless shelter and set aside what little money I could every month to give to charity's I believed in. There are still some controversial issues that I have not changed my views on I'm not completely opposed to this but I don't feel God has spoken to me in a way to make this happen yet. I feel like accepting Christ means I should be making big changes but I can't figure out how to proceed. I would welcome any ideas on how to proceed.
If I had my time over again when I was first converted to Christ, I would have concentrated on learning God's Word and developing discipleship and not hurried into Christian service before getting my foundations right. My view would be to sit under good ministry, establish good friendships and fellowships with fellow Christians, disentangle yourself from friendships that might compromise your faith, develop a prayer life, seek God for the strength and power of the Holy Spirit to get rid of sinful habit patterns. The Scripture says to study to show ourselves approved of God (2 Timothy 2:15). Get the personal side sorted first and the service side will fall into place.

In the church where I started, preaching and witnessing was over-emphasised, and young believers were put into places where their personal lives did not match up. As a consequence we tried to serve God in the same way as more experienced and mature believers were doing, without the solid foundation of faith and spiritual discernment.

One horrible experience I had was trying to cast a demon out of someone and ended up like one of the seven sons of Sceva! I was trying to do something as an inexperienced believer that someone far more experienced and discerning would have been more sensitive and knowledgable and therefore more successful.

So get your foundations secure and work on that for at least a year, and then see how the Holy Spirit opens doors of service for you. Paul spent 14 years in seclusion in Arabia and Tarsus before he was brought to Antioch and the Holy Spirit commissioned him and Barnabas for ministry service.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I accepted Jesus about 4 months ago and am struggling to figure out what I should do to live a more Christian life. The problem is most of the things that I can think of are things I was doing when I didnt believe in God or Jesus. I was already a regular volunteer at a christian homeless shelter and set aside what little money I could every month to give to charity's I believed in. There are still some controversial issues that I have not changed my views on I'm not completely opposed to this but I don't feel God has spoken to me in a way to make this happen yet. I feel like accepting Christ means I should be making big changes but I can't figure out how to proceed. I would welcome any ideas on how to proceed.
Have you received His Holy Spirit?

• Winner
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul instructed to progress to learn more fully, to graduate from the milk to the solid food, enrich ourselves by learning, feeling, dwelling in the words of Christ, taking in more of what He said to us, which we have now in the four gospel accounts so richly. You'll learn so much each time you read with true listening.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don’t want to share your acts of charity with anyone ever. In time, you should not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. As you read The Word of God, you will be convicted of those things that need to change. You won’t be judgmental about others but will be convicted of what is most important in your Christian walk. Man shall live by every Word that Proceedeth out of The Mouth of God. That is a very powerful statement that Christ Said when being tempted on the mountain. Something you should be feeling is a compulsion to share the Good News which is The Gospel.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How did you become a Christian? In a church? You don't mention a church. Have you found one yet that preaches and teaches the Bible as God's Word and Jesus as the only way to God? If not, I suggest that you find one. Visit several and find one in which you can serve with the spiritual gift(s) God has given you. God seldom talks directly to us; he more often uses his Word, the Bible, and other Christians in his church. My advice is for you to join a Christian church and find ways to serve God there.

As believers, we all need to "make big changes." Are those changes in direct contradiction to the Bible? If they are, start attending a Christian church and seek Bible study that will help you make those big changes by the Holy Spirit's power through Jesus' triumph so that real repentance will be evident in your life and then you can join that church.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The biggest mistake that I make after accepting Christ was to try and change myself. I thought being obedient to the 10 Commandment was the way to go. I was wrong. Anxiety over came me as I tried.

One day after praying I heard the spoken word of God which said., "I didn't ask you to be perfect, Jesus has done that for you." I then received a vision of the bloody cross and the veil was removed. It wasn't for me to make myself better but instead for me to surrender to God's Spirit and allow God to change me through faith.

I then embraced the cross and let go. It was then that I saw myself becoming different. Things I once desired became abhorrent. As I put God above all, God made the right things more important. This is how we learn to walk in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They are not controversial to me specifically but to society in general. Both in and out of Christianity LGBTQ+ and women's rights cause many varying views and nothing in my studies has caused me to change my thinking. I have done extensive studies on this in the past and will continue to do so but I do not feel that a traditionally conservative opposition is appropriate from either my biblical studies or background of personal experience
Something was taught to me: celibacy as a single and fidelity if married. Sodomy is not an option. I leave the gay people alone. They have enough troubles. Paul had been criticized for not doing enough for women’s rights, but he was living in brutal times. He did not advise men to mistreat women.

Helping the poor is important. Long hours of such work might lead to opportunities. An eye has not seen, nor an ear heard of the mercies God has planned for those who obey Christ’s teachings.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hey buddy there's a little verse I'd like to show you about 1 Corinthians 7:20

Each person should remain in the situation they were in when God called them.

I think your situation is just what God wants you to do and you should continue to do that until he gives you more responsibilities, which he will it just may take a little bit of time and a little bit more walking with the Lord's yoke on you. God bless

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
How the Azusa Street mission come to know the power of God in metaphor to the Hebrew Temple...

1. The Outer Court - Justification - Word of Faith is good doctrine to cut your teeth on. Noting the need to move on from there.
2. The Altar - Salvation through the cross at Calvary.
3. The Laver - The clean effects of sanctification.
4. Table of Showbread – Daily into the word of God
5. Light at the Lightstand- Faith, hope, charity, joy, grace, love, warmth, etc.
6. The Golden Incense Altar - Prayer and Praise meetings.
7. The Holy of Holies - The Shekinah Glory and Baptism of the Holy Ghost.
Temple_zps43c1911c.png

Once established, it ought to enhance Christian service.

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

It took me almost eight years to officially find my calling that God has called me to do. True, I gave to my charity of choice for almost the entirety of those eight years but God did not give me my true calling for a REALLY long time. That being said when you're only 3 months in I doubt that you'll 100% discover why God made you yet. Just keep doing charity work and God will eventually bless you beyond your wildest dreams.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The same thing as we all must do, pray without ceasing.

Knock and keep knocking.

Matthew 7:7-8

Luke 11:9-13

And remember, just cause it doesnt happen in a timeline we feel it should, doesnt mean God is not preparing us for what it is He wants to give to us.

If a father that is wicked and evil knows how to give good things to his children.... how much MORE will our Father that is good, give that which is good... even more so when what it is we ask for is a deeper relationship to Him.

Reactions: RIAlred
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do you do any evangelizing? If not you could join an evangelist team to spread the Word on streets.

Luke 10:2
And He was saying to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rest in Him and wait for Him, brother. Even though you are already doing some good things, you are an infant in Him and like all infants this is your time to receive and rest in His salvation and grace. He is already pleased with you just as you are and the challenges of following Him will come along soon enough.

The only thing I would recommend, and it seems that you are already doing things along these lines, is become a close daily part of a Christian community for your own edification and support. We are called to Love one another and this is how the world will know that we follow Him by our Love for one another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe any such team exists in my area or that I would be able to be a part of it with my schedule. I do what I can to spread the word but not "on the streets". I do so to others who do not believe in God by debating and presenting what I have learned to those of a similar background. I know of one individual who is now truly believes and one other who I feel is very close if not now a believer sence we last communicated. I'm not opposed to spreading the word in general but feel that I have been called to do so within the population that I have a connection with and is generally very resistant to those spreading the gospel.

Reactions: sea5763
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, being a new Christian you have enough to deal with in simply knowing the Lord.

That is not meant to discourage you in anyway... ANY Christian that is newly born again ( even those that have been "born again" but have in the stubbornness of their hearts not grown in the Lord, need to focus first on WHERE they are in the body before thry burn themselves out in zeal.

Yes, to be "on fire" with love for tge Lord is a GREAT thing, but if you burn the candle at both ends, trying to do much f pi r the Lord under our own strength... we burn out and it is not the rest the Lord promised.

Even the first Christians had to wait on the Spirit before they could truly do the good things that the Lord said they would do.

Wait on the Lord, grow in the Lord, losten to the Spirit and obey, til then, pray, pray to be taught, pray to love correction, pray for the Lord to lay the proper foundation in your faith and relationship to Him before wanting to "save the world" and do it for the Lord. It is a grwat thing to desire to do much for the Lord... but if it is done in our own strength... it will not stand.

IF you cant or dont have access to a physical church, this could ve a time that God has set aside in your life to just spend with Him, alone, laying a solid foundation of knowing Christ.

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Your main goal is to spread gospel of Christ
It does not really matter if you feed poor dying person if they will go to hell after they die and suffer forever , you literally just delayed his punishment but he still will be punished .

What makes change is you help the poor and then preach the gospel to him/her to make the change.

In our world today most peeople just come to get free stuff and don't event want to hear about Jesus.

So the biggest change is being Born Again , being Christian has nothing to do with physicall stuff ye it's good to do good deeds but they don't make you Christian Buddhists can do good deeds too, what makes you Christian is having Holy Spirit inside of you.

Definition of the gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
a) Christ died on cross according to prophecy
b) Was burried and rose again
c) His death was sacrifice for our sins and because of that he offers free gift of salvation for anybody who wants

Ephesians 2:8-9 , Ephesians 1:13-14, Galatians 2:16

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You will find your answer(s) in the Bible.

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Christian Basic Instructions Before.jpg

• Useful
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh. Congratulations. Good for you!!!! Just remember that repentance is a gift, not a work, so it isn't supposed to be a burden. You are forgiven!!!! So just as God lays it on your heart to change something, just do as He says and you will be fine. Remember, you are deeply loved, totally accepted, and completely forgiven. God will show you what and how to turn away from your sin. Just listen to Him. :)

• Winner
Upvote 0