Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I accepted Jesus about 4 months ago and am struggling to figure out what I should do to live a more Christian life. The problem is most of the things that I can think of are things I was doing when I didnt believe in God or Jesus. I was already a regular volunteer at a christian homeless shelter and set aside what little money I could every month to give to charity's I believed in. There are still some controversial issues that I have not changed my views on I'm not completely opposed to this but I don't feel God has spoken to me in a way to make this happen yet. I feel like accepting Christ means I should be making big changes but I can't figure out how to proceed. I would welcome any ideas on how to proceed.

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I accepted Jesus about 4 months ago and am struggling to figure out what I should do to live a more Christian life. The problem is most of the things that I can think of are things I was doing when I didnt believe in God or Jesus. I was already a regular volunteer at a christian homeless shelter and set aside what little money I could every month to give to charity's I believed in. There are still some controversial issues that I have not changed my views on I'm not completely opposed to this but I don't feel God has spoken to me in a way to make this happen yet. I feel like accepting Christ means I should be making big changes but I can't figure out how to proceed. I would welcome any ideas on how to proceed.
Controversial is the word you use but claim Christ has not called them to conscience. Why are they controversial to you?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you currently attending a good, solid and biblical church? Are you yet a member? This should be your first step before you are baptized.

Do you own a bible? If not, I recommend an English Standard Version if you can find one. It is easier to read than most and is a good translation. Here are some commentary resources that are free to help you start studying with: Studylight Commentaries, Biblehub Commentaries, BlueLetterBible Commentaries. A few beginner's recommendations are Matthew Henry, Matthew Poole, John Gill, and John Calvin.

Do you want to support missions overseas? Vision Beyond Borders, Barnabas Aid, and HeartCry.

Upvote 0

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They are not controversial to me specifically but to society in general. Both in and out of Christianity LGBTQ+ and women's rights cause many varying views and nothing in my studies has caused me to change my thinking. I have done extensive studies on this in the past and will continue to do so but I do not feel that a traditionally conservative opposition is appropriate from either my biblical studies or background of personal experience

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They are not controversial to me specifically but to society in general. Both in and out of Christianity LGBTQ+ and women's rights cause many varying views and nothing in my studies has caused me to change my thinking. I have done extensive studies on this in the past and will continue to do so but I do not feel that a traditionally conservative opposition is appropriate from either my biblical studies or background of personal experience
I would do more intensive research into the Christian background of each to determine what is Christian and what is assumed to be true according to secular society or traditions of the previous religion of Judaism. The varying views need to be firm to commit to a stand. Jesus wants His teachings separate from tradition. Many seculars turned Christian entangle (especially these two) the world systems into one that they think is cohesive but is actually another system to keep the old wine being enjoyed by those that shun His new wine.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like accepting Christ means I should be making big changes but I can't figure out how to proceed. I would welcome any ideas on how to proceed.
Saul of Tarsus was a prominent Pharisee who zealously sought to purge the Church from Judaism (as he understood it).

After meeting Jesus face-to-face and being converted, he changed his name to Paul. Even though he had the contemporary equivalent of a Doctorate in Theology, God did not immediately send him out in service. Paul spent three years in the desert so God could retrain him in the New Covenant. His spirit was made alive on the road to Damascus, but a new heart and a new mind takes more time (and it's different for everyone). That process is called sanctification.

You can still show kindness and generosity going forward, but if you want to devote your service to Jesus, you will just have to spend time with Him: praying, reading your Bible, fellowshipping at Church, etc. Allow Him to renew your heart and mind, too, like He did with Paul.

Upvote 0

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I appreciate your comment and this is something I am already doing and was doing long before I came to accept Christ. The question I am posing is what if anything I should be doing outside of these topics as most of what is generally called Chrostian service are things I was doing without belief and I'm not sure if they can count as serving Christ if I was doing the same things prior.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
RIAIred, consider becoming active in your local church congregation. Attend worship regularly and receive the Lord's Supper. Volunteer for some of the church's activities (but don't try to do everything).

Being part of the worship life of the church, being instructed in the faith and in the Bible, and partaking of the fellowship is an important step.

It is much harder to be a born again 'lone wolf' kind of believer looking around and hoping to good somewhere or other in society.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I appreciate your comment and this is something I am already doing and was doing long before I came to accept Christ. The question I am posing is what if anything I should be doing outside of these topics as most of what is generally called Chrostian service are things I was doing without belief and I'm not sure if they can count as serving Christ if I was doing the same things prior.
I believe the specifics of what Sabertooth was imparting (correct me if I’m wrong) is that the outer services are a requirement from a heart renewed. ( cannot be considered as service to God from any other standpoint) That can only come about from a renewed mind. That means inner work.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
RIAIred, consider becoming active in your local church congregation. Attend worship regularly and receive the Lord's Supper. Volunteer for some of the church's activities (but don't try to do everything).

Being part of the worship life of the church, being instructed in the faith and in the Bible, and partaking of the fellowship is an important step.

It is much harder to be a born again 'lone wolf' kind of believer looking around and hoping to good somewhere or other in society.

Upvote 0

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks this makes me feel more secure. I'm already very active in my congregation I just

Thanks this helps a lot I'm already quite active and attend almost every activity they offer I just never thought of that as being the same thing. I have yet to find something there that I can git in my schedule to do regularly to volunteer but have done a few one time things it never really occored to me that this could be enough.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question I am posing is what if anything I should be doing outside of these topics as most of what is generally called Chrostian service are things I was doing without belief and I'm not sure if they can count as serving Christ if I was doing the same things prior.
De-emphasize service. Christian service is about being at the beck and call of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes it will look like what you are doing now. Jesus said, at other times, it will look like,

Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name

• they will cast out demons;
  • they will speak with new tongues;
  • they will take up serpents (if necessary);
  • and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them;
  • they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” Mark 16:15-18 NKJV

"And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’
  • Heal the sick,
  • cleanse the lepers,
  • raise the dead,
  • cast out demons.
Freely you have received, freely give." Matthew 10:7-8 NKJV

You won't be prepared to do many of those things until you have spent time "in the desert."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a new believer, see if your church has a New Believers' class. If they don't, look for a Vineyard or Assembly of God church. (You don't have to change churches, if you don't want to.)

Another good song for new believers,
Love Song: Front Seat, Back Seat

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi brother (or sister) in Christ.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbour as yourself.

Focus on spending time with Him reading your Bible. Thanking Him, praising Him as you go along.

I would only pick up more voluntary work if you are feeling that God is putting it on your heart. You can't earn salvation by good works, but the works are an effect of being in Him.

Therefore, you should concentrate on loving those around you, being tolerant and watchful of anything you can do to help. Be it a kind word, a shoulder to cry on or a little task such as opening the door. A lot of the loving your neighbour comes naturally though as a result of the Holy Spirit residing inside you.

Spend time fellowshipping with mature Christians too. This is one way service is useful. I relished volunteering at a Christian organisation feeding people who are homeless have addictions and especially loved praying with the other volunteers before the door would open.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks this helps a lot I'm already quite active and attend almost every activity they offer I just never thought of that as being the same thing. I have yet to find something there that I can git in my schedule to do regularly to volunteer but have done a few one time things it never really occored to me that this could be enough.
I didn't mean that it's "enough," exactly, but it's an important part of the well-rounded Christian life.

Many people come to the faith and want to apply all of Christ's advice about relating to others--helping the poor, comforting the heartbroken, and so on. They often think of that first.

You will do this...but it is important not to neglect other parts of your journey.
And if you do take the more well-rounded approach, you will feel better about your place in the scheme of things, I am sure.

By the way, I didn't know--from your first message--whether or not you had a local church and attend it. I am happy to learn that I guessed wrong on that one!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Ah! this is the reconciliation of how the World views things versus how Christ views those same things.

Let me put it this way:
You accepted Christ into your heart. This is good!
Now what you have to do is to take a self survey of your beliefs and practices in the light of how Christ views them, and then go about changing your life in the areas that God shows you that need to be changed.

It won't happen over night, but little by little, He will point out to you through either Scripture or through a message that what you used to think or do wasn't lining up with how He thinks of the same thing. And if you're listening, He will also tell you why it is the right thing.

Yes, it's important to know why something is either right or wrong, because that is how you will build your Christian life. That is what will give you the motivation to keep on striving even when things get difficult.

Essentially it's like looking at a road map of your previous life, and noticing that when you look at the road map of your current life, there are new things, new ideas, new thoughts and ways of observing what is happening that are different than they were in your old life.

Pay very close attention to that!

Write down in a journal what is different (e.g. "I once was lost, but now I'm found," etc.) and keep on writing down those new discoveries.
What you're going to find out is that there will be a drastic difference between what you once thought, and what God is showing you now that will in time make a great difference in your life.

Your job is two-fold:
1. God will show you what you used to believe, and He will show you what is true.
2. You will have to choose which one you will do/believe from now on.

He will slowly but thoroughly go over your whole life, al the things you did, the choices you made, etc. and show you what a better choice would have been in that case.
Remember these too, because you just might have to confront the same thing again, until you learn what the right choice is, and until you have the courage to do what is right.

Best Wishes!!

• Optimistic
Upvote 0