What Should be Done about Gas Prices after Katrina?

What Should be Done about Gas Prices after Katrina?

• I support the President temporarily using Emergency Reserve.

• We should "ride it out" with gas prices skyrocketing, but hopefully back down.

• We should just go ahead & drill Alaska - it's inevitable.

• I have a different idea & here it is.....

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Rule #1 of this thread - keep IRAQ & Bush-bashing out of it, period.

I'm just curious about your opinions on how to handle the aftermath of such a huge, natural disaster in the U.S. The President is suggesting that we temporarily use our emergency oil reserves to stop the gouging of gas stations. I think this is the best bet, as it's just until the oil rigs damaged by Katrina are up and running again. It will help the prices from killing the transportation industry altogether, and will hopefully continue to hold off drilling near Alaska wildlife.

What are your thoughts on how it should be handled?

KenH

Christian
Aug 1, 2003
Arkansas
✟13,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With about 26,000,000 gallons of gasoline not being produced due to refineries that are shut down, this is a problem that will with us for a while.

We, as a nation, had a party during the 1990s with cheap gasoline and buying gas guzzlers without building any new refineries now for 30 years due to environmental regulations and a NIMBY attitude. The chickens have come home to roost.

Upvote 0

McCracAttack

^ Not a drug reference
Feb 2, 2004
Clemson, SC USA
✟664.00
Faith
Atheist
Redneck said:
Put the refineries somewhere like Alaska where there aren't hurricanes.

We could try eastern Washington too.
New Orleans was a major port for foreign oil on the east coast. That and the drilling operations in the Gulf are why New Orleans had such a massive refinery operation. We already have a similar port in California on the west coast, but it’s important to have one on the east coast as well.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
We should use some of the reserves because the reserves are located near the refineries that would otherwise soon exerpience supply issues. If we use the some of the reserves, we can ensure that they don't stop refining because they can't get oil from farther away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Douger said:
I say the government should allot tens of billions of dollars for subsidizing gas and new fuel efficient engines. What better way to spend the peoples tax money? Sure beats throwing away hundreds of billions on foreign wars.

Bad idea. Subsidies hide the true costs of a product, causing people to do things that are not to their economic benefit.

Reactions: Redneck Crow
Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Subsidies hide the true costs of a product, causing people to do things that are not to their economic benefit.

my same reservation exactly which is why I think the money should be used as well on fuel efficient engines. I'm thinking of massive scale replacement like over a period of a few months. Economy simply cannot be based on one single fallible commodity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ampoliros

I'm my own wireless hotspot
May 15, 2004
Mars - IN MY MIND!
✟9,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
fragmentsofdreams said:
Bad idea. Subsidies hide the true costs of a product, causing people to do things that are not to their economic benefit.

Because it would be economically (or otherwise - 'reduce dependence on foreign oil?) unbeneficial if we used half the gas we do currently. :scratch:

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Holly3278 said:
I don't know but I definitely support putting a cap on gas prices and providing serious fines to those who engage in price gouging.

Prohibitions of price gouging, yes; actual caps, no. Price restrictions tend to harm those they are designed to protect.

Didn't a lot of stations get in trouble (at least in some states) for hiking their prices immediately after 9/11? I think the Attourney General of Illinois went after them for violating some law.

Upvote 0