CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Anyone else" did not create the Universe, God did. Its his rules not yours.

Seems like a "might makes right" mentality. And if it's right according to God, why is it wrong in any other context then? After all in the Old Testament it was okay to kill those who didn't believe (or kill everyone in a town if one person didn't believe).

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After all in the Old Testament it was okay to kill those who didn't believe (or kill everyone in a town if one person didn't believe).
Death would happen in God's presence, even if He liked you (but you weren't properly prepared)! See Exo. 33:18-23

God is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Death would happen in God's presence, even if He liked you (but you weren't properly prepared)! See Exo. 33:18-23

God is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

Well God could easily stop anyone from perishing if he wanted to since he controls everything.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simple question: "What sends a person to hell...?"

Comments...?

God Bless!

His/her own decision.

God doesn't "send" anyone to hell. They choose to go there.

God so loved the world. Everybody in it. Whosoever.

But some people wouldn't want to be in Heaven anyway, because Heaven won't have any of the things that make them happy in this life. They think praising Jesus is for goody-two-shoes stick-in-the-muds, and if that's what it's like in Heaven, no thanks. You hear it all the time: "I don't want to go to Heaven. I want to go to hell, where all my friends are going."

OK. Request granted. God doesn't want it that way, but He'll allow it.

Of course, my opinion only. YMMV.

Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well God could easily stop anyone from perishing if he wanted to since he controls everything.

God gave everyone a free will; He will not force anyone to love Him. If He wanted that, we would all be robots.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems like a "might makes right" mentality. And if it's right according to God, why is it wrong in any other context then? After all in the Old Testament it was okay to kill those who didn't believe (or kill everyone in a town if one person didn't believe).

God is the only sovereign in this universe.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ladies and gentlemen, this is not an official mod hat, since I have participated in this thread as a member. I simply want to state a concern that some of the posts are getting off topic. The question as originally stated is, "What sends a person to hell?" Any debate on the nature of God and His behavior should be for another discussion. That's all.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

That's basically what God did when he sent Jesus, but he won't take away our free will.

• Agree
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know what sends people to hell because I don’t know their hearts as God does. I do know far too many people are quick to put you there if you don’t see things exactly the way they do. Somehow, I think the Lord works that all out with each person, and the “whys and whats” can be added to the list of the many things we will never know or understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know what sends people to hell because I don’t know their hearts as God does. I do know far too many people are quick to put you there if you don’t see things exactly the way they do. Somehow, I think the Lord works that all out with each person, and the “whys and whats” can be added to the list of the many things we will never know or understand.

There is no need to know a man's heart to know that all men's hearts a wicked.

What you are implying is some men reject God, His word, His law, and yet deep, deep down in their heart, God will find good in them.

May I suggest that Christ could have saved Himself a a lot of anguish if that were the case.

All men stand condemned. God, thankfully, has mercy on some.

John 3:18

[18] Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (ESV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

Comments...?

God Bless!
I believe that the only thing people need to be saved from is the belief that there is a hell from which to be saved. Speaking from personal experience, believing in the likelihood of eternal punishment is hell in and of itself.

Therefore, what could potentially send a person there, metaphorically speaking, would be concerns about ending up in some endless flaming inferno separated from God (as if one can be separated from an omnipresent entity—Hah! Good luck with that!
icon_smile.gif
), as punishment for wrongdoings that vary from denomination to denomination... and from religion to religion—Christianity isn't the only system with a hell, after all, so even if one manages to avoid Christianity's hell, if it turns out that, say, Islam is the Right Religion™, then one is going to have problems.
kopfschuettel.gif

If there is such a thing as hell-as-post-mortem-misery, I would lean towards the Eastern Orthodox view that "heaven" and "hell" are the same place, and what makes it either one or the other depends on how one feels about being in God's presence in general. Even then, I deviate from the EO by concluding that, eventually, God will win the hearts of everyone, thus all will be "saved".

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is no need to know a man's heart to know that all men's hearts a wicked.

What you are implying is some men reject God, His word, His law, and yet deep, deep down in their heart, God will find good in them.

May I suggest that Christ could have saved Himself a a lot of anguish if that were the case.

All men stand condemned. God, thankfully, has mercy on some.

John 3:18

[18] Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (ESV)

No Sir, I'm not implying anything other than I don't really know what other men truly believe in their hearts... only God knows that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No Sir, I'm not implying anything other than I don't really know what other men truly believe in their hearts... only God knows that.

Do you trust what the Bible says on the matter?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I trust the Lord and His Word completely; it’s your (and my) understanding that I do not lean on.

Has not God communicated how He saves clearly? Has He left us in the dark on the subject? Has not not been publicly crucified? Has Christ not said of Himself, "I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life?

Upvote 0

Beaker

Jan 31, 2008
South Western Ontario
✟32,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Comments...?

God Bless!
no 'what' - 'who' and the answer is - THEMSELVES. People send themselves to hell, since they reject the FREE redemption offered to them.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
no 'what' - 'who' and the answer is - THEMSELVES. People send themselves to hell, since they reject the FREE redemption offered to them.

Who has rejected this offer? Has everyone bound for Hell rejected this "offer".

Upvote 0