Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by TerranceL
So much fear of competing ideas.

Hi Brinny in the future instead of hitting the reputation button to make snide comments please feel free to put them in the thread.

You mean like this one?

yet you still hang out here....

4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My views have also been influenced by more secular philosophers like Heidegger and Nietzsche as well. Probably even a greater influence from the music I listen too though. I'll admit it. My views have been influenced by the music I listen too all the time. Especially the band TOOL. Maynard is a spiritual fellow. You can say that's immature or silly but the same feeling I get reading certain parts of the Bible I get when I listen to a good song. Heck, probably happens more often listening to TOOL becuase the bible was directed at people with a totally different mentality and way of thinking than modern people. It's hard to think like ancient people thought some times. Human consciousness has evolved (or de-evolved if you prefer) to a different level and we just don't think like our ancestors all the time. Sometimes the same or similar ideas need a more modern method of delivery to fully sink in.

Tool.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Drunk On Love

Spiritual Intoxicant
Jul 20, 2011
USA
✟15,895.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I like Tool myself but to make them a major influence on your beliefs doesn't sound too good. I find inspiration in the Quran all the time and it's also a book that was revealed centuries ago in pre modern times. It just takes some training for the mind to adapt to the older mentalities. When it does you can then explain it to others in a more modern manner of speaking.

Upvote 0

ElijahW

Jan 8, 2011
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Funny seeing Tool on here. Best band in the world but I would agree that there isn't much philosophy to be learned directly from their music since their emphasis is encourage thinking for yourself as a base principal to the band. Recognizing that they are a spiritual group is fine but trying to gain information from what they are saying in the lyrics is probably not what the band intends from its fans or their music. The discussion or thinking about what they mean is probably more the goal then exchanging actual ideas from the band to fans.

I thought some of Maynard's Puscifer stuff was good as well... not so much with the APC stuff.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I pretty much enjoy anything that Maynard puts his voice to.

Heck I even watched "blood into wine".

*Spoiler! There's no talk about music in the movie really... it REALLY is just about his ventures in wine making but it's pretty entertaining anyway.*

Upvote 0

benglobal

A square peg in a round hole.
Nov 3, 2010
✟15,349.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
One World Religion

The King Abdullah Center for Interreligious and Intercultural Dialogue, initiated and financed largely by Saudi money, is set to have its seat in Vienna. Plans envision an organization with a governing body composed of 12 representatives from the world's five largest religions.

The governing body is set to be staffed by two Muslims (Sunni and Shiite), three Christians (Catholic, Anglican and Orthodox), a Buddhist, a Hindu and a Jew. The organization will also have a consulting body with 100 representatives from the five world religions plus other faiths as well as academics and members of civil society.

From the link you posted what is your objection?

Upvote 0

Daniel25

Mar 1, 2011
✟1,091.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What religion am I?

My views on religion and spirituality have been influenced by the Bible , most especially by the writings of Paul and the words attributed to Jesus. To a degree both the so called Church Fathers and the Gnostic Christian Scriptures have played a role in my spiritual formation. I have great love and respect for the figure of Jesus and make use of the stories about him to guide my life. I also pray to Him every day. So, the obvious answer is Christian right?

Well, I also believe there are a multitude of gods* That the world and everything in it is en- souled (animism of a sort you could say) and that reality is non-dual in nature. I've probably been equally influenced by Platonism / Neo-Platonism, Depth Psychology ( Jung, Hillman, etc) and Heremeticism as I have been by the Bible. I also reject the idea that the Bible is the inerrant.

* I have no problem with praying to a varity of them either.

Pagan.

Upvote 0

ElijahW

Jan 8, 2011
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What was your issue with APC?
I like the first album a lot but in hindsight, comparing the APC stuff along with the Tool and Puscifer stuff, it sounds like radio friendly power ballads. He’s talking about relationship emo crap. I like my Maynard when he is playing the mystic with Tool or the apocalyptic preacher in Puscifer but APC just seems like the point is to make mainstream music. It’s not that it isn’t good music with an awesome voice it just doesn’t inspire me an any way, unlike his other work. (Exception: Judith)

Inspiring ---> Sour Grapes

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like the first album a lot but in hindsight, comparing the APC stuff along with the Tool and Puscifer stuff, it sounds like radio friendly power ballads. He’s talking about relationship emo crap. I like my Maynard when he is playing the mystic with Tool or the apocalyptic preacher in Puscifer but APC just seems like the point is to make mainstream music. It’s not that it isn’t good music with an awesome voice it just doesn’t inspire me an any way, unlike his other work. (Exception: Judith)

Inspiring ---> Sour Grapes

I can see that.

And yes Sour Grapes is awesome.

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Funny seeing Tool on here. Best band in the world but I would agree that there isn't much philosophy to be learned directly from their music since their emphasis is encourage thinking for yourself as a base principal to the band.
I'm not implying that they directly taught me a specific philosophy. Only that I realized an increase in gnosis and meaning while listening. It gets me thinking about things and inspires me . Inspiration is the key. I don't really even know their take on the meaning of many of their songs. I tend to focus on what I make of them. They are a like a mirror for the things I have floating around in my brain that I'm not always aware of. I often come up with new meanings for the songs on a weekly basis.

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
at any rate, for the purposes of this forum we have defined christian as Nicene compliant, which you manifestly are not.
Please elaborate. I find no problem with agreeing to the statements in the Nicene creed.

Flaunting the defined vernacular might make you feel like a special snowflake, but it effectively engenders confusion.
I don't think I'm overly concerned about being special. It's not a guiding principle in my life or anything at least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To the OP,

We are commanded in Scripture to 'examine' ourselves to see if we are truly in the faith. 2 Corinthians 13:5 states, "5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified." Only faith in Christ (Romans 5:1), accepting Him as your Savior (John 1:12; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 John 2:2), repenting of your sins (Acts 3:19; 2 Corinthians 7:10), and trusting in Him alone for your salvation and for the forgiveness of your sins (Acts 4:12) is how you can be saved from the wrath of G-d that is to come upon all unforgiven sinners (John 3:36; Romans 1:18-23; Romans 2:5-6; Romans 5:8-10). Only Jesus Christ can save you from the wrath of G-d on Judgment Day. However, it's your choice to accept Him or not.

It's vital that you realize there aren't 'many paths' which will lead you to salvation and to Heaven. The Scriptures are very clear that there is only one way and that is through Jesus Christ alone (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Philippians 2:5-11). Now the question is, are you a genuine Christian? If what I wrote is what you believe, than according to the Scriptures, you are. If you are a genuine Christian, according to the Scriptures, than G-d has forgiven you and has granted you eternal life. He has forgiven your sins through His Son, Jesus Christ. You are indeed 'born again' (John 1:12-13; John 3:3). If what I wrote is not what you believe, than according to the Scriptures, you are not a genuine Christian. This is an issue you must seriously think about because where you will spend eternity depends upon it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
To the OP,

We are commanded in Scripture to 'examine' ourselves to see if we are truly in the faith. 2 Corinthians 13:5 states, "5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified." Only faith in Christ (Romans 5:1), accepting Him as your Savior (John 1:12; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 John 2:2), repenting of your sins (Acts 3:19; 2 Corinthians 7:10), and trusting in Him alone for your salvation and for the forgiveness of your sins (Acts 4:12) is how you can be saved from the wrath of G-d that is to come upon all unforgiven sinners (John 3:36; Romans 1:18-23; Romans 2:5-6; Romans 5:8-10). Only Jesus Christ can save you from the wrath of G-d on Judgment Day. However, it's your choice to accept Him or not.

It's vital that you realize there aren't 'many paths' which will lead you to salvation and to Heaven. The Scriptures are very clear that there is only one way and that is through Jesus Christ alone (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Philippians 2:5-11). Now the question is, are you a genuine Christian? If what I wrote is what you believe, than according to the Scriptures, you are. If you are a genuine Christian, according to the Scriptures, than G-d has forgiven you and has granted you eternal life. He has forgiven your sins through His Son, Jesus Christ. You are indeed 'born again' (John 1:12-13; John 3:3). If what I wrote is not what you believe, than according to the Scriptures, you are not a genuine Christian. This is an issue you must seriously think about because where you will spend eternity depends upon it.

Amen, my sister.

Upvote 0

Daniel25

Mar 1, 2011
✟1,091.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What religion am I?

My views on religion and spirituality have been influenced by the Bible , most
Well, I also believe there are a multitude of gods* That the world and everything in it is en- souled (animism of a sort you could say) and that reality is non-dual in nature. I've probably been equally influenced by Platonism / Neo-Platonism, Depth Psychology ( Jung, Hillman, etc) and Heremeticism as I have been by the Bible. I also reject the idea that the Bible is the inerrant.

* I have no problem with praying to a varity of them either.
Nicene Creed said:
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Is this your first time reading the Nicene Creed or something?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
To the OP,

WELL SAID..... :thumbsup:

You get to the very core of the issue: Accountability.

IMO (as a new Lutheran), Luther can probably be faulted above all for one thing. As intelligent and learned as he was, he initially failed to acknowledge one critical thing: One who regard SELF as unaccountable/infallible CANNOT be reformed. Or even acknowledge the even theoretical possibility of such. He quickly learned his error, of course.

Luther's "sin" from the RC denomination's perspective was he embraced accountability. This could not be permitted. Before the days of the printing press, it would just burn the few copies of his writings and that would be it. Before the days of government having armies as powerful as the pope's, it would just burn Luther and that would be it. It could do neither.

A personal perspective...

In the words of that great Christian philosopher and theologian Mr. Miyagi in the orininal Karate Kid, "go find the balance." NEVER EASY!!!!!!!

On the one hand, Scripture (and wisdom) embraces accountability. God Himself counsels us - over and over and over again - to beware of false prophets, errant teachers, anti-Christs. We are told to "test" to see if they are of God. TRUTH MATTERS!!! This is a key teaching of Scripture. My own intense study of the early LDS and of some groups many call "cults" powerfully - very powerfully - taught me the importance of this wisdom and counsel. In fact, one that insists that all just be in quiet, docilic, SUBMISSION to self alone, one who insists that self has unmitigated, unaccountable POWER over others (even as the vicar or voice of God) is one to likely fear; it's a HUGE red flag.

On the other hand, Scripture also points to the need for authority. And I think it rejects individualism (either of person OR of denomination - including the RCC). I believe the church is US. I believe God gave the Bible to US. Accountability must not degrade into an answerless skepticism.

There is a BALANCE here....

IN MY OPINION
, the RCC and LDS and more than a few Protestants go too far on the Authority side to the exclusion of accountability. The ultimate extreme is reached when self (individual or denomination) is essentially equated with God (or Christ), the deification of self to make self unaccountable like God. But I also think that much of Protestantism have erred in the other direction, with no sense of authority. Catholics often look at Protestantism and see a choatic mess, lacking certainty. And sometimes they are right. The "first wave" Protestants (Lutherans, Anglicans and perhaps Calvinists) were ubersensitive to this balance and TRIED (and try) to be responsible. They acknowledged the authority of Scripture, of the Councils, of the church, but also embraced accountability (and thus constant need for Reformation). I think as Protestantism evolved into new forms, things headed for one of the extremes: none as radically as the RCC, however. By the way, this really is no different than all things in life, there is always this balance between accountability and authority - and often people loosing the balance and embracing one extreme or the other.

By the way, in college, as an elective, I took an upper division course in college (mainly cuz I needed 4 more upper division units and this class was convenient) called "Revolution." It was tuaght in the History Department, co-listed in Poli Sci. The Prof actually got his Ph.D. in that very subject. Most of his interest was in the French and American Revolutions, but we talked about MANY - the Russian, the Cuban, and even some very informal ones (we even discussed the call for "revolution" among youth in the 1960's). ONE of the things I took from that is that revolutions USUALLY are well grounded - and flow from an "establishment" that is unreformable, "dug in." AND they tend to overshoot their mark - not infrequently becoming the very thing they revolted against. I can see SOME of that applying here. We need to avoid two things: Being unreformable, shielding SELF from growth, change, examination, correction - and the ability to change; being rejecting of authority so that choas, lawlessness, anarchy results. Luther rejected the EXTREME of the RCC, but he also rejected the EXTREME of what he called "the enthusiests" Luther embraced accountability (INCLUDING of himself) and also embrace authority. Whether he did it PERFECTLY is a point I'd not try to defend, but it's why he was so hated and hunted: he sought a balance. The RCC had unmitigated, unaccountable POWER it needed to defend. The times simply meant it couldn't do it as effectively as it had before.

That's my perspective....

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0
G

good brother

To the OP,

Exactly what she said and then some.

Whisper said that there aren't many paths, that is true. There is only one path- and that path is Jesus Christ. The dangerous thing you are doing now is seemingly attempting to tread this one of Jesus as well as others. This is just as dangerous as picking the wrong path. By doing this multi path choice, you have said in your heart that you do not fully rest your trust in Jesus Christ. He does not want to be just one lord among many in your life, no! He requires that He be the ONLY LORD in your life.

If you want to think of it like a poker game, it's not "all in" until it's all in. You can't say you fully trust God through the redmptive work of His Son, Jesus Christ if you are withholding part of your trust to other gods and other paths.

If you want to think of it like a marriage, the whole "til death do us part" don't mean a thing if you just asked your future spouse to sign some prenups. It means that you are reserving part of yourself from her, not giving her (or "him" if the ladies are reading) your everything.

If you are to recieve His free gift, Jesus Christ requires your everything. He demands your all. He will not take anything less.

In Christ, GB

Upvote 0