Catholic
Upvote 0

Myfanwy

Aug 3, 2006
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Ok... and that explains things how? :scratch:

Oh I get it! :idea: If a person labels someone an extremist, one doesn't have to bother with an informed opinion! :doh:

Pax Tecum,

John

Sorry, I was being too polite. You see, as a child I was taught that Opus Dei was a cult. But I did not want to insult anyone by saying that. It was a well known perception in my local Roman Catholic Church (in the 1970s), however.

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Sorry, I was being too polite. You see, as a child I was taught that Opus Dei was a cult. But I did not want to insult anyone by saying that. It was a well known perception in my local Roman Catholic Church (in the 1970s), however.

Since it's founder was cannonized a Saint you might want to rethink your opinion.

Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There has been "bad blood" between Opus Dei and the Jesuits many years ago. Just thought I would ask.

That doesn't suprise me much, considering that Opus Dei is in a position with the Vatican that the Jesuits once had. Opus Dei in that sense is much like a neo-Jesuit organization, experienceing both the good and bad aspects of being a powerful movement in the Church.

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
That doesn't suprise me much, considering that Opus Dei is in a position with the Vatican that the Jesuits once had. Opus Dei in that sense is much like a neo-Jesuit organization, experienceing both the good and bad aspects of being a powerful movement in the Church.

Pax Tecum,

John

The initial problems stemmed from the competition for vocations in Spain, a country where both originated

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

ScottF

Opus Dei are not extremeists....as with all groups you get many different kinds of people who live out the apostolate of Opus Dei in different ways.

Within the Franciscans there is a wide variety of expressions of Franciscan spirituality. This is true with every expression of Catholic spirituality.

Why I feel that Opes Dei are seen as more conservative (what ever that means)--is that they are frequenting the sacraments- usually daily MAss and weekly confession. They are also getting regular spiritual direction - usually monthly. As well as having a regular regimen of prayer- every morning begins by getting out of bed and praying.....

When a person is living a life immersed in prayer and especially the sacraments- they will grow in becoming one heart and one mind with the Church. The Church herself is 'conservative' to most people- and so one who has Her heart and mind will be viewed this way too.

What many people miss about Opus Dei who want only to criticize the personal spiritual practices which they live out---is that Opus Dei has awesome social work throughout the world. Creating vocational schools so the poor- and especially women in immpoverished nations can gain skills and not be bound to a life of crime or prostitution--is one of their greatest works, in my opinion. If you look at Opus Dei- you will see that it is not just a bunch of people running around being holier than thou--but people who are actually praying and doing good works.

It is not for everyone--that is one of the treasures of the Church- her wide expressions of living out the Gospel.
It sounds to me like Opus Dei is considered to be more conservative than regular Catholics because they are more serious about being Catholic than most Catholics are...

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
This brings up another interesting point. I recently found out that Jesuits are considered to be "liberal", so I can see how they would not get along with the conservative Opus Dei.

The Jesuits are a mixed bag. They definately have thier extreme elements, but they also have some really solid priests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
However--let's be very, very cautious about what we say about any officially recognised religious order or apostolate- particularly in regards to grouping an entire order into one stereotype. That's exactly what we are trying to defend Opus Dei against...

Cautious is one thing. Walking on egg shells is another. I think it's important to consider the similarities between Opus Dei and the Jesuits. That they both come from Spain, that one had a certain ammount of power and prestige with the Vatican and the other happens to have similar power and prestige, and that they both compete for vocations should be taken into consideration when comparing them. I'm not one to defend Opus Dei or the Jesuits, at least that is not my prime objective. Rather, I'd prefer open and honest discussion regarding them.

If I have my facts right isn't Fr. Mitch Pacwa a Jesuit?

Yes he is. Though he doesn't only promote the Jesuits.

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

In one sense, Opus Dei is a cult, as are also the Jesuits, the Franciscans, and many other religious orders. The question comes down to if the cult is confirmed as an acceptable form of reverence by the Church. It also has to be taken into consideration the proper meaning of "cult" in worship.

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
LOL :D

Makes one wonder what "conservative" was back then. :scratch:

Pax Tecum,

John
You know what, I've pretty much abandoned any efforts to find out what words like liberal and conservative actually mean, what people, in general, think they mean, etc. I find it to be quite fruitless. Case in point: Here on OBOB, and CF in general, it seems as though I'm thought of as slightly liberal, and yet in my parish, I would say that people think I'm pretty conservative. Go figure. And yet, me even making those kinds of statements betrays that I have at least some informal... impression? meaning?... of what liberal and conservative are, or at least that I have some inkling of what I think those words might, or are supposed to mean... or some such something or other... ugh.

Concerning Opus Dei, I think the ideas are a little strange. I'm not trying to be offensive. It's just that some of the ascetic devices and techniques they use are a bit unsettling, in my opinion. Speaking more concretely, I see great potential for misuse/abuse, psychologically, physically, etc.

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
It sounds to me like Opus Dei is considered to be more conservative than regular Catholics because they are more serious about being Catholic than most Catholics are...
The biggest problem with discussions of this kind is that the term conservative has no real place in discussion of faith and religious practices. It is a term that describes the secular world of politics and living conditions. When we enter into spiritual issues, we find that people have different styles of worship and spiritual living that may ALL be completely within the realm of true belief and deep faith.

Yes, they may be more serious, and also more open to show it. Thanks be to GOD. :thumbsup:

Kotton

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.