What makes Opus Dei more conservative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NuncDimittis

I'm not going to read a book about it. If opus dei published a document or something of that sort i'd read it. Do you know of any?

I offered that book as a reference because I assumed you would want something that did not represent the so-called party line. Opus Dei in general does not generally publish information about the works of its members. Why? Because members are quite independent of the structure itself. Opus Dei is not a religious order after all and the freedom of its members is highly valued.

Regards,
Nunc

Reactions: geocajun
Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You know what, I've pretty much abandoned any efforts to find out what words like liberal and conservative actually mean, what people, in general, think they mean, etc. I find it to be quite fruitless.

LOL :D

I know what you mean. Which is why I prefer to joke about them and find it ridiculous when they (liberal or conservative) get offended. I mean please, they can't even properly define themselves without making many, many, many contraditions.

Concerning Opus Dei, I think the ideas are a little strange. I'm not trying to be offensive. It's just that some of the ascetic devices and techniques they use are a bit unsettling, in my opinion. Speaking more concretely, I see great potential for misuse/abuse, psychologically, physically, etc.

It's possible, but Opus Dei is not the first group to do so. Consider the vow of poverty that Franciscans make, or the various forms of prostration that St. Dominic used. Piety can take many forms, with some being rather odd for the common Catholic. I guess the main thing is the devotion itself, whether it is directed to God or not. I'd generally consider that Opus Dei members take their devotions seriously and certainly direct it to their relationship with God.

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For that matter Pope Benedict XVI was considered a liberal in his younger years as well.

I wonder what he thinks about books like Liberalism is a Sin. Don't know why, but that seems to be a popular book in certain circles which some might call conservative.

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0
N

NuncDimittis

Concerning Opus Dei, I think the ideas are a little strange. I'm not trying to be offensive. It's just that some of the ascetic devices and techniques they use are a bit unsettling, in my opinion. Speaking more concretely, I see great potential for misuse/abuse, psychologically, physically, etc.

Were you aware that those "ascetic devices" you speak of were in use for most religious orders throughout the history of the Church and were only abandoned in the mid-20th century? Were you also aware that only the numerary (celibate) members use those devices and that those members make up less than 10% of Opus Dei? It really should not worry you too much.

Regards,
Nunc

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand that you find this apostolic zeal a bit hard to handle.

It isn't "Apostolic zeal" I find hard to handle at all. It is the constant reminder that as a mere catholic i'm not part of the club and often feel insufficient for not desiring to be an 'opus dei catholic'. That is 'opus dei zeal', not catholic zeal.

Upvote 0
N

NuncDimittis

It isn't "Apostolic zeal" I find hard to handle at all. It is the constant reminder that as a mere catholic i'm not part of the club and often feel insufficient for not desiring to be an 'opus dei catholic'. That is 'opus dei zeal', not catholic zeal.

It's interesting how we can have such totally different experiences of the same organization. Oh well, such is life.

Upvote 0

dmr

Oct 16, 2006
✟7,667.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since it's founder was cannonized a Saint you might want to rethink your opinion.

Yes!

It sounds to me like Opus Dei is considered to be more conservative than regular Catholics because they are more serious about being Catholic than most Catholics are...

Great comment. That is my opinion also. I have read alot pro and con about Opus Dei. Unfortunatley in my small town, i do not know any members, but I would like too.

God bless the members of Opus Dei!

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not going to read a book about it. If opus dei published a document or something of that sort i'd read it. Do you know of any?

Actually, I would recommend the book. I have no particular affection for Opus Dei but I do understand that they have a role within the Church - they are somewhat insular though and not nearly as powerful as many of the scare books would lead you to believe. I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole "vocation" setup that they have where many get to pretend to live a religious life yet remain lay.

I had the pleasure of meeting Fr. McCloskey a few times when he was at the Catholic Information Center in DC. Nice guy but I always had the uneasy feeling that he viewed the praxis of ordinary Catholics as somewhat deficient. Never came out and said it...more of a gut reaction. He is a rather powerful presence so maybe that was it. Who knows.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
If anyone is interested in learning more about Opus Dei's founder, St. JoseMaria Escriva, I would strongly suggest watching one of the many video interviews of him.

St. JoseMaria was known to have small question-and-answer sessions in his travels. In these small intimate groups (some of which were recorded on video), you get the strong sense of family, and profound loyalty to the Holy See. It is really very touching, to see this Saint in action;

http://www.scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=47

9937.jpg

http://www.scepterpublishers.org/product/?category=30

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.