What makes Opus Dei more conservative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoseofLima

Opus Dei are not extremeists....as with all groups you get many different kinds of people who live out the apostolate of Opus Dei in different ways.

Within the Franciscans there is a wide variety of expressions of Franciscan spirituality. This is true with every expression of Catholic spirituality.

Why I feel that Opes Dei are seen as more conservative (what ever that means)--is that they are frequenting the sacraments- usually daily MAss and weekly confession. They are also getting regular spiritual direction - usually monthly. As well as having a regular regimen of prayer- every morning begins by getting out of bed and praying.....

When a person is living a life immersed in prayer and especially the sacraments- they will grow in becoming one heart and one mind with the Church. The Church herself is 'conservative' to most people- and so one who has Her heart and mind will be viewed this way too.

What many people miss about Opus Dei who want only to criticize the personal spiritual practices which they live out---is that Opus Dei has awesome social work throughout the world. Creating vocational schools so the poor- and especially women in immpoverished nations can gain skills and not be bound to a life of crime or prostitution--is one of their greatest works, in my opinion. If you look at Opus Dei- you will see that it is not just a bunch of people running around being holier than thou--but people who are actually praying and doing good works.

It is not for everyone--that is one of the treasures of the Church- her wide expressions of living out the Gospel.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Normally - I think- members are encouraged to begin apostolates within their parishes studying the documents of the Church. ALso with things like the Navarre Study bible- seek to broaden general understadning of the tenets of Faith.

Mainly how they work in impoverished nations is through the building of schools and other social helps...but without the requirement that those who are helped are or become Catholic (just like the Missionaries of CHarity do not restrict their ministry to only Catholics)--and so live the Gospel as a means of evangelization.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I get the impression from many of my opus dei friends that they are incapable of evangelizing the catholic faith, without attempting to rope someone into opus dei. This is why I ask the question - i'd love to see an example from opus dei of evangelizing christianity with no interest in selling itself.

I have friends who are involved in Cursillo who are very similar in their behavior, but to a lesser degree.
It is seriously to the point where I can't talk to these friends of mine for any length of time without *another* attempt to get me join them coming up.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

That I don't know....as I am not in any way oficially attatched to Opus Dei...although no one has actually ever pressured me to become so either. I have lots of Regnum Christi friends-- and they also have never pressured me in any way. I get invited to all of the evenings of reflection and recollection and stuff..

Maybe it's a difference between men and women?? :scratch: I don't know.... It's an interesting question, though...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

NuncDimittis

Because they are. Most Catholics are not extremists. Opus Dei are.

This has not been my experience so I am not quite sure what you mean.

The men I share monthly evenings of recollection with are deeply committed to their faith and their families. They are working men trying to live a faithful life in the world and evangelizing by the very way they live out their day.

In the last 4 years I have worked with 6 numerary (celibate) members of Opus Dei. NOT ONE ever attempted to "recruit" anyone on the job. My involvement with Opus Dei was solely due to my interest and my initiative.

Why are they considerered "conservative"? Perhaps because they celebrate liturgy in a solemn and dignified manner, perhaps because they appreciate traditional forms of devotion such as solemn benediction and the recitation of the rosary, perhaps because they utilize frequent confession, or perhaps because they hold fast to what the Church actually teaches. They are self-reflective and self-demanding, much unlike our own laxity that is ready to make excuses for every action we take.

It is interesting to note during that early history of Opus Dei they were often accused of being too liberal. Go figure.

Regards to all.

Upvote 0
N

NuncDimittis

Does opus dei have any evangelization efforts? (not of opus dei, but rather of christianity).

Yes. Each and every individual apostolate of Opus Dei members (of whom married members are in the majority) promotes christian values and human dignity. None of them exist or operate solely to self-promote Opus Dei. If you know of one, please fill us in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes. Each and every individual apostolate of Opus Dei members (of whom married members are in the majority) promotes christian values and human dignity. None of them exist or operate solely to self-promote Opus Dei. If you know of one, please fill us in.

Thanks ND, are these outreaches to non-christians? do you have any literature on this evangelization effort I can read about?

Upvote 0
N

NuncDimittis

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
I get the impression from many of my opus dei friends that they are incapable of evangelizing the catholic faith, without attempting to rope someone into opus dei. This is why I ask the question - i'd love to see an example from opus dei of evangelizing christianity with no interest in selling itself.

I have friends who are involved in Cursillo who are very similar in their behavior, but to a lesser degree.
It is seriously to the point where I can't talk to these friends of mine for any length of time without *another* attempt to get me join them coming up.

geo,

The way Opus Dei evangelizes is to bring those you come into contact with closer to God. The goal it has been said is to make all persons Christian;all Christians, Catholic; and all Catholics, Saints;

So when you feel you have been "recruited" by some one in Opus Dei or Cursillo for that matter, they are approaching you where you are as a Catholic. They are wanting to share with you something that has helped them, in the same manner a Catholics may encourage non-Catholics to attend a Mass or a non-Christian to read the Bible an learn of Jesus. I understand that you find this apostolic zeal a bit hard to handle.

You might be interested that both Opus Dei and Cursillo have its roots in the experience of the Church in Spain during the early 20th Century. During the Spainsh Civil War the Church was decimated as thousands of religious and clergy were executed. Spanish men abandon there faith in record number. Both of these Apostolates are aimed at strengthening the Catholic faith by calling men and women back to the genuine and consistent practice of the faith. That is why Opus Dei suggests daily mass and frequent confession. It had vanished in Spain and has nearly vanished in the US.

So will you find a group of Opus Dei members going door to door? No. They go about evangelization on an individual basis. St Josemaira called it the Apostolate of Friendship. Get to know those around you. Love them. Understand them and when the time comes offer them Christ.

Reactions: NewMan99
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.