What makes men be attracted by Orthodoxy?

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I keep reading articles about how Orthodoxy is probably the only Christian group (besides Mormonism) in which men outnumber women. I see that in my Orthodox Church back in the US most of the girls joined along with their family/husband/boyfriend while a lot of men joined because they personally looked into it.

What's your answer to this?

Thanks for participating!

1065472B-4AA3-47C5-B80D-03B9FDD66FBC.gif

Perhaps it’s the awesome beards

• Haha
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I noticed some years back that many of the "Christian" songs were popular on secular radio stations. And the lyrics sounded as if they could apply to various kinds of relationships. If you didn't know it was "supposed to be" a praise/worship song you might never guess. I know "I Can Only Imagine" was very popular on secular stations, but at least it was specific in imagining meeting Jesus. Many songs from that decade were completely vague.

Much of the art and some of the writing that seemed to stem from western mystics of that period always made me very uncomfortable. The "ecstasies" had distinctly sexual overtones to them. That has never seemed right to me when considering how we relate to God.
Someone said that if you change "God" for "baby" it will sound like a love song. I don't like how in the South they have rejected traditional hymns for touchy songs.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Someone said that if you change "God" for "baby" it will sound like a love song. I don't like how in the South they have rejected traditional hymns for touchy songs.
I agree that many are easily translated into love songs (or something similar) by changing just one word.

Most of my experience has been in the south(ern US) ... but do you think it's only/mostly there? Seems to me like Hillsongs (out of Australia?) featured pretty heavily in this trend?

Not that it matters really where it's coming from or related to geographically. But if it's less widespread than it seems to me, that would be something of a consolation.

I can't help but be a little annoyed by "You Lift Me Up" ... though at least there are some vague Christian references.

When I am down, and, oh, my soul, so weary
When troubles come, and my heart burdened be
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit awhile with me
You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be

On the other hand, I have especially liked hearing a couple of renditions of the Nicene Creed and several Psalms by artists over the past decade.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0