What makes a good pastor/priest a good one?

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone-
Something I've been thinking about:

In your experience (or understanding), what makes a good pastor or priest a good one? Also, what should a pastor be to the local church?

The discussion I'm looking for here is open to all opinions, scriptural exegesis, and denominational differences. Go wherever the question takes you.

Thank you!

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, this is a 'controversial' take, but one hint of a good pastor is that he/she does deliverance or at least believes in it, since thats one thing Jesus and the disciples did, pastors who don't do this are somewhat off in the gospel imo.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A good pastor:
  • Possess and shares depth of knowledge about the Bible and Christian tradition
  • Is a person of personal integrity, a moral example.
  • Is compassionate, serving God in all persons in their church and their community
  • Has enough business acumen to handle the fiduciary responsibility of sustaining their church and mission
  • Can put together a sermon that makes people think about their actions, lives, and the world around them.
  • Addresses important human and societal issues from a Christian perspective without politicization
  • Demonstrates respect for God in all they say and do.
  • Knows what they don't know and empowers others in the body to do what they can't do
And as an added bonus: ^_^
  • Does not organize pot lucks
  • Does not lead worship dressed like they just came in from working in the garden
  • Has a sermon brief enough to get you to the restaurant 10 minutes ahead of the Baptists.
  • Declares video screens and multi-media presentations during worship an anathema.
  • Is not afraid to use incense despite the whiners. :liturgy:

• Prayers
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to preface my comments with two caveats:

You cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Jesus (and his mother) are not available to be your pastor/priest/minister, so you're getting a fallible and limited human.

Now that I've got those out of the way...

Ministry is diverse. Every person in ministry is unique, with a particular mix of gifts, skills, experience, personality, and so on. And every ministry situation is unique, with particular needs and issues in the congregation and in the local community. My point is, there's no "good priest" cookie cutter, and good ministry varies with the situation and the people involved.

A story; when I was at college, there was a student there who had already been ordained overseas, but had had very limited education, and so was with us to fill in some gaps, as it were. I confess, to my shame, that I tended to unconsciously look down on him as not really being up to the standard of most of the rest of us. One day, he talked about his ministry in the refugee camp he had been in for years; how every day, every single day, his ministry was to conduct funeral after funeral after funeral, back to back. And when the funerals were done, to sit with the families, to listen to them, pray with them, cry with them, before going back to his own tent to collapse. That man may not have had much education, he may not have had even what I took for granted as basic life skills, he didn't fit the mould of what a lot of people would have thought a "good priest" should be. But he loved his people and ministered faithfully for years in a situation that would have broken most other people. And I tell you what, I never looked down on him again; I can only hope to be a fraction as good a priest as he is.

That said, I think there are some basic traits which go deeper than surface matters.

Just off the top of my head (I'm quite happy to explore ideas further), a good pastor/priest:

- Values the gifts and perspectives of everyone in the church community, and makes space for diversity, including those they might personally not like or find easy to get on with, or with whom they disagree.
- Will not avoid necessary conflict, and will not avoid dealing with difficult issues and situations.
- Is willing to listen to the points of view, values, and opinions of those with whom they disagree, and adjust their approach as necessary. (Knows what is - and is not - a hill worth dying on).
- Is willing to be held accountable, to be open to hearing that they have been wrong or interacted poorly with someone, and is willing to apologise and do what is necessary to make amends.
- Is committed to the safety, wellbeing and nurture of the people in their care.
- Understands their role as building up, encouraging, equipping, the people in their church community, and leading them in mission in their context. That is, the focus is on the corporate life and action of the community.
- Has robust boundaries and is not afraid to insist on their own safety and wellbeing, and that of their family/household. Respects their family members as people in their own right and does not use them as props or unpaid labour in their ministry.
- Is committed to ongoing learning (professional development), collegial collaboration, and has some process (be it a supervisor, mentor, spiritual director or other) for reflecting on their own ministry.
- Has a reasonable understanding of group dynamics and how to work with groups, including sharing leadership and power.
- Can cope with, manage, and initiate change.

In many ways the question of what a pastor should be to the local church is very context-dependent. Some churches will set that out in a contract or constitution or other governing document. Others will have a more informal set of cultural expectations. What I will say is that one thing I experience is something of a culture clash; in the last - let's say fifty years - the world and the church have changed enormously, the demands on people in ministry have changed enormously, but many people in the congregation don't see a lot of that, and still expect ministers to do what Fr. So-and-so (of sainted memory) did decades ago (usually far more pastoral visiting than most of us manage now). It's a source of some ongoing tension, and goes back to my first point... you cannot please all of the people all of the time!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is an interesting thread. Thinking aloud, I wonder if there is any disparity between what clergy think makes a good pastor/priest and what the average congregant thinks makes for a good pastor/priest.
Quite possibly. A lot of congregants judge their priest/pastor on "Is he/she doing what I want, meeting my needs?"

And sometimes, the answer is, no, because what you want, or think you need, is not actually appropriate for me to meet, or is not something I can do, or is a totally unrealistic expectation, or is about personal preference that runs counter to the congregation as a whole, etc. (NB: Your pastor/priest does not exist to make you feel better in any given situation!)

I have one parishioner at the moment who is quite upset with me for not doing something she thinks I should do. I've explained to her why I'm not doing it, but deep down she doesn't really accept that. We're both going to have to live with that.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been thinking about this question all day. I have a child with developmental disabilities and have been asked multiple times to leave church because my child was stimming (not screaming, not hitting anyone, just being a child with autism and ADHD). How the pastor handles that sort of situation absolutely matters to me as a layperson. Is it a theological issue? No, not in an obvious sense. Is it a spiritual issue? Yes, because it completely affects my family's ability to access the church community and the sacraments.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been thinking about this question all day. I have a child with developmental disabilities and have been asked multiple times to leave church because my child was stimming (not screaming, not hitting anyone, just being a child with autism and ADHD).
I am so sorry. That's not right at all. (As another mother of a child with autism!)

• Friendly
Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am so sorry. That's not right at all. (As another mother of a child with autism!)
It was definitely hard and made me question my faith for a while. But I should also say that the church we currently attend has been very welcoming and is amazing when it comes to including my child.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,287.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Shepherd is one who disciples a small group of believers as a `mother or father.`

`We were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children.....As you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children,...` (1 Thess. 2: 7 & 11)

A CEO organizes large groups for a meeting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Shepherd is one who disciples a small group of believers as a `mother or father.`

`We were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children.....As you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children,...` (1 Thess. 2: 7 & 11)

A CEO organizes large groups for a meeting.
I believe that any PASTOR has to BECOME IMITATIORS of me ( Paul ) just as I also am of Christ in 1 Cor 11:1 , Rom 16:mad:5-26 is the BEGINNING !!

dan p

Reactions: Marilyn C
Upvote 0