Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
So true. Shelby Spong only serves as an example of what to avoid from a theological perspective. His liberal theology has nothing to offer the non-Christian world, except to confirm its prejudice against Christian beliefs.

He's a liberal polemicist and controversialist. And I say that as somebody that belongs to a denomination associated with more liberal theology. In many ways, he is a "fundamentalist" of a different sort, but coming from a position of theological liberalism. For Spong, its not enough just to acknowledge ambiguity about core Christian beliefs (as many mainline Christians do), you must actively deny or ridicule them to be respectable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
He's a liberal polemicist and controversialist. And I say that as somebody that belongs to a denomination associated with more liberal theology. In many ways, he is a "fundamentalist" of a different sort, but coming from a position of theological liberalism. For Spong, its not enough just to acknowledge ambiguity about core Christian beliefs (as many mainline Christians do), you must actively deny or ridicule them to be respectable.
I've hear of this type of liberal fundamentalism from a pastor (now retired) in the PC(USA). He encountered it in seminary.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Having once been a fundamentalist once myself I can fully appreciate how a Christian Like John Spong would be held in suspicion and opposed at every turn. But as I matured in my Christian faith I began to grow away from fundamentalism. I remember feeling quite alone in my faith at that time. But then I discovered people like John Spong , Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan --- without them, I very likely would no longer be Christian. I regard Spong somewhat as a modern day prophet and we all know that they are seldom appreciated in their own communities. I am a liberal/progressive Christian because that is the only I can maintain my spiritual and intellectual integrity and remain a Christian.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Having once been a fundamentalist once myself I can fully appreciate how a Christian Like John Spong would be held in suspicion and opposed at every turn. But as I matured in my Christian faith I began to grow away from fundamentalism. I remember feeling quite alone in my faith at that time. But then I discovered people like John Spong , Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan --- without them, I very likely would no longer be Christian. I regard Spong somewhat as a modern day prophet and we all know that they are seldom appreciated in their own communities. I am a liberal/progressive Christian because that is the only I can maintain my spiritual and intellectual integrity and remain a Christian.
They are more Unitarian than Christian. Spong denies the most basic Christian beliefs. Crossan takes the Gospels as metaphors. "Christian" should have some basic belief content requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyChris
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am Australian and never even been overseas, so obviously only attended Australian churches.

Quite a while back my pastor said once that although our church is IFB we are more interested in keeping to the bible, not church made rules and so are not as fundamentalist as some. I also heard some American Christians say that we are not as fundamentalist as churches they have attended in USA.

According to this forum's Statement of Purpose our church is in complete agreement with it.

Our church has mostly stay-at-home mothers, some homeschool, women do not speak in church or have leadership roles, even dress in our country's standard of feminine clothing i.e. skirts and dresses appropriate for our relatively hot climate.
Men don't wear ties or jackets because of our climate. All have traditional male clothing and hairstyles.

So I am puzzled. Surely there is more than suit and tie to this equation?
This article may be of help to you. I found it very interesting and helpful to my understanding as well.
Christian Fundamentalism in America - Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Religion

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Indeed. In Germany, racism and theological liberalism often went together. In fact in Germany it was the more conservative Lutherans such as Herman Sasse that resisted the Nazi regime the most. Liberals largely acquiesced to "German Christians", a mix of theological liberalism and nationalism.

Do you know if Sasse ever wrote about his experience during The Great War and during World War II?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you know if Sasse ever wrote about his experience during The Great War and during World War II?

I am not an expert on him but I believe he did.

One thing to keep in mind, in Germany and continental Europe, there was not as rigid a distinction between fundamentalists and liberal Christians. They often co-existed in the same church, but the liberals have tended to predominate. But at different times, liberalism waxed and waned, and there were movements such as Neo-Orthodoxy that tried to transcend the differences.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Fundamentals...FROM....

Christian fundamentalism - Wikipedia

Here are my $.02 on "essentials" / Christ-following fundamental truths

1. The inerrancy of the Bible...in its original MSS as to major doctrinal truths. The literal nature of the Biblical accounts, especially regarding Christ's life and ministry of miracles and the Creation account in Genesis...where POSSIBLE.

2. The Virgin Birth of and Deity of Jesus the Christ, the Divine Messiah...as FACT

3. His bodily resurrection, appearances, and ascension...as FACT... and THE PROMISED physical return (Second Coming) ...of Jesus the God-Man

4. The "substitutionary atonement" of Christ on the Cross...Jesus the God-Man died FOR sins FOR men FOR all time

These BELIEFS / FAITHS are NOT necessary for salvation.
The Apostles Creed is similar....the "We Believes...".
It is a short recitation of doctrinal truths which improve spiritual wisdom and prevent doctrinal UN-truths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums