What kind of color markers for the bible?

Ojpalosa

Jan 19, 2018
Bästkusten
✟30,329.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This might not be the right place to put this question, but here it goes: what types of color pen/markers are good when starting doing markings in your bible? I am asking this because of the thin pages in the book and the worry of it bleeding through or destroying the pages, or am i wrong?

Would markers like stabilo boss highlighters do the trick?

Thank you!

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This might not be the right place to put this question, but here it goes: what types of color pen/markers are good when starting doing markings in your bible? I am asking this because of the thin pages in the book and the worry of it bleeding through or destroying the pages, or am i wrong?

Thank you!

This is a great question. I'll also wait to see what is suggested.

Thanks. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Ojpalosa
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Based on seeing marked Bible pages, some of the "bleed through" are the indentations in the paper. To prevent this, you need only put a hard surface under the individual sheet you are marking on and not press too hard.

Regarding highlighters, I don't recall seeing it done without bleed through. However, if one were to use that kind of marker, bleed through should be minimized by marking the words quickly. i.e., do the opposite of resting the marker on the paper while the fibers soak up ink.

Note that you don't have to be committed to one method. If you see too much bleed through, try something else.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thank you!

My husband uses a straight-edge and ball point pens in assorted colors.
I've taken to just using those small Dollar store sticky notes that come in assorted colors.
If you have OneNote, you can copy/save verses to it... that is, if you are
using a bible app on your phone, iPad etc.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm just guessing based on highlighter theory. ;) Make sure the marker is dry at the tip and not wet. Practice putting down a strip quickly on scrap paper, but not so quickly you might lose control and have to do part of it over. (Identify where your mark is going to end before you start marking.) Then try it in an inconspicuous place in your Bible. There's presumably pages at the beginning or end with the same kind of paper as the interior. You can then see how much bleed through you're actually going to get.

If all else fails, a pencil underline might work for you. Use a regular or harder lead to minimize the amount of transfer to the facing page. Soft lead will smudge if you brush against it. The lead (actually, graphite) will outlive the Bible and can be erased if necessary by a high quality eraser (e.g., Staedtler Mars), but pencil will not stand out like highlighter does.

Colored pencils work, although as with all pencils and pens, put a hard surface under the page. It's inconvenient to carry a slab of marble around and try to fit it under a page, so you may have to experiment a bit. You could try a sheet or two of transparency plastic. A crafts store would have some soft of flexible plastic that can be stored in your Bible, or you might cut a piece out of some plastic container you already have that is slated for the recycle bin. (Sand or somehow smooth the corners and edges so it won't accidentally bite into a page.)

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ojpalosa

Jan 19, 2018
Bästkusten
✟30,329.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm just guessing based on highlighter theory. ;) Make sure the marker is dry at the tip and not wet. Practice putting down a strip quickly on scrap paper, but not so quickly you might lose control and have to do part of it over. (Identify where your mark is going to end before you start marking.) Then try it in an inconspicuous place in your Bible. There's presumably pages at the beginning or end with the same kind of paper as the interior. You can then see how much bleed through you're actually going to get.

If all else fails, a pencil underline might work for you. Use a regular or harder lead to minimize the amount of transfer to the facing page. Soft lead will smudge if you brush against it. The lead (actually, graphite) will outlive the Bible and can be erased if necessary by a high quality eraser (e.g., Staedtler Mars), but pencil will not stand out like highlighter does.

Colored pencils work, although as with all pencils and pens, put a hard surface under the page. It's inconvenient to carry a slab of marble around and try to fit it under a page, so you may have to experiment a bit. You could try a sheet or two of transparency plastic. A crafts store would have some soft of flexible plastic that can be stored in your Bible, or you might cut a piece out of some plastic container you already have that is slated for the recycle bin. (Sand or somehow smooth the corners and edges so it won't accidentally bite into a page.)

Very much appreciate it Greg, God bless!

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums